I have to say, I'm perplexed by today's news re: COVID and college athletics

7,996 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ham98
NewOldAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Listen to Billy Liucci's take on TexAgs radio from Monday, 8/10, hour 3. He sums up the decision pretty well and it's all political.

Between normal politics and the recent player demands, pulling the plug on the season is a way to remind the players who really is in charge. Still bull crap. Can't wait for Stephen McGee's reaction tomorrow.
NASAg03
Contrast these decisions with the 1918 flu pandemic, which was more deadly and primarily impacted college-aged kids. They still played (although it was a very odd season), and very little money was involved back then.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Capitol Ag
AG
NewOldAg said:

Listen to Billy Liucci's take on TexAgs radio from Monday, 8/10, hour 3. He sums up the decision pretty well and it's all political.

Between normal politics and the recent player demands, pulling the plug on the season is a way to remind the players who really is in charge. Still bull crap. Can't wait for Stephen McGee's reaction tomorrow.
Yup. Nerds vs Jocks. The age old debate. Academics want to take the power away from the athletic departments that, in their minds, has gotten too big. They want to permanently damage athletics so that they can even the playing field. Never mind the fact that athletics are the front porch and doing well athletically helps the entire university, not just sports. As Looch stated, without sports, how many alumni will return to campus each year? Very few. Meaning the connection will be lost, and with it academic funding as well. But these "brainiacs" can't see that in their ivory towers. This never was about player safety. The B1G and Pac 12 blinked. Too bad for them. If we do get a season in, they will be hurt for years to come.
beerad12man
AG
NASAg03 said:

Contrast these decisions with the 1918 flu pandemic, which was more deadly and primarily impacted college-aged kids. They still played (although it was a very odd season), and very little money was involved back then.
Times have changed with media, and how quickly news travels. It sickens me, but we live in a world of 7 billion people. So you will always hear the bad, the horror stories.

In reality, this virus is nothing for 95-98% of families. If we didn't publicize it, 95-98% of us would have been much better off, and maybe just assumed a bad flu or cold season if some of our friends or family came down with something, and nothing more. In fact, I'm 99% sure we'd be over it by now and just trotting along in life for nearly everyone. But, that doesn't mean it isn't tragic for the 0.25% or 0.65%(or whatever the IFR ends up being) that do die, and their families. no doubt it is.

Still comes down to your ideologies, and mine says it would take something a lot worse than covid 19 for me to believe giving up life as we knew it was the way to go.
sleepybeagle
AG
Quote:

Still comes down to your ideologies, and mine says it would take something a lot worse than covid 19 for me to believe giving up life as we knew it was the way to go.
We're living the movie "Slap Stick".

This movie from 1977 depicts a minor league ice hockey team that resorts to violent game play to gain popularity in a declining factory town. In one scene, the hockey team owner hires an ambulance to drive around outside the arena with it's lights flashing prior to the game to set the proper atmosphere.

Covid is being driven around like the ambulance in that movie.

Drip99
AG
Capitol Ag said:

NewOldAg said:

Yup. Nerds vs Jocks. The age old debate. Academics want to take the power away from the athletic departments that, in their minds, has gotten too big. They want to permanently damage athletics so that they can even the playing field. Never mind the fact that athletics are the front porch and doing well athletically helps the entire university, not just sports. As Looch stated, without sports, how many alumni will return to campus each year? Very few. Meaning the connection will be lost, and with it academic funding as well. But these "brainiacs" can't see that in their ivory towers. This never was about player safety. The B1G and Pac 12 blinked. Too bad for them. If we do get a season in, they will be hurt for years to come.
I keep hearing this but can't imagine its anywhere near reality. Maybe a few schools in the PAC but to say that Ohio State, Michigan, penn state, etc. want to purposely harm their athletics departments seems insane. Michigan has a historical tradition rich program and ohio state is value at 1.5 bill...most of any program. It would be like the CEO of a fortune 500 company shutting down the most profitable division. Maybe I am just naive but it makes little to no sense to me.
Complete Idiot
Some people have to create hidden political
Subtext in every single topic these days. Just let their imaginations run wild, you can't stop it.
agforlife97
AG
Liability is such a silly argument. If it's about liability, then as OP noted, it's nonsensical that you'd have kids come back to campus at all. The potential for liability for 10,000 plus is a lot more than for 100. Secondly, public universities would almost all have at least partial sovereign immunity. It's really hard to sue the state, ask Mike Leach. Thirdly, the myocharditis argument is debunked. I'm not sure what's going on here, but it sure seems political.
Capitol Ag
AG
JesusQuintana said:

Capitol Ag said:

NewOldAg said:

I keep hearing this but can't imagine its anywhere near reality. Maybe a few schools in the PAC but to say that Ohio State, Michigan, penn state, etc. want to purposely harm their athletics departments seems insane. Michigan has a historical tradition rich program and ohio state is value at 1.5 bill...most of any program. It would be like the CEO of a fortune 500 company shutting down the most profitable division. Maybe I am just naive but it makes little to no sense to me.
We don't know if tOSU, UM, PSU voted to wait. Plus university presidents are many time academics. But that is the story Billy is telling us and he is pretty tied into this.
NASAg03
Pretty interesting read from ESPN:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29640734/how-century-old-season-teach-college-football-embrace-unexpected

Quote:

A century ago, schools responded with in-time solutions. Some cobbled together full schedules; some played partial schedules; and some stayed home. The University of Texas shut down for a month and canceled its rivalry game against Oklahoma. As John Maher and Kirk Bohls describe in their history of Longhorns football, Texas arranged two games against Radio School and one against Camp Mabry Auto Mechanics, both military installations in the Austin area, and rescheduled its SMU game for late November. All most Texas fans know is that the 1918 Longhorns went 9-0. Those who look closer will see that, a few days after Texas closed its season with a victory against Texas A&M, the flu returned to campus and took the lives of 200 people, including 17-year-old guard Joe Spence.

A century later, athletic administrators will incur the wrath of some portion of the public no matter what decision they make. Allow their programs to carry on, and they're subject to the charge that they're putting the financial health of their programs ahead of the health of their student-athletes. Push their fall sports into the new year, as the Big Ten, Pac-12, MAC and Mountain West have done, and they're ignoring the needs and desires of not only their football student-athletes, but of those in every sport on campus. And for what, that public will ask: "The virus hasn't even threatened [fill in your campus here]."
Pretty crazy that students came back to campus and all sports continued, even with 200 people dying at t.u. from the Spanish Flu!
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
RGV AG
AG
Obviously people were a lot tougher back then, they didn't love their kids any more or less than we do today, but they understood and accepted the risks and realities of life much better, as the world was harsher.

Equally, in terms of schooling I believe society put much more of a premium on it and had much more appreciation for it and were willing to risk more to have their spawn get a leg up.
tysker
AG
It is weird to say that dying wasnt as big a deal back then? Clark Stanley was peddling is "Snake Oil" until 1916 and penicillin wasnt even discovered for another 10 years after the Spanish flu. Getting sick and dying was just more common and accepted than it is today.
Bird Poo
AG
plain_o_llama said:

Another angle is the suggestion they've known they were going to do this for a while. However, they waited until students had committed and paid to announce it. The idea being enrollments might have been off if students knew there would be no Football. Do you think that is real?
Absolutely. They're a bunch of crooks.
HotardAg07
AG
I think it's mostly about the money. Some of the ADs have been pretty transparent about the money they stand to lose without fans in the stadiums, even with the TV money. There's also additional costs to do the testing and other expenses to do what is being recommended to keep the kids healthy. I think there's some hope that if they punt to the spring they can make the financial picture better.
Bucketrunner
I don't believe football will be played in the spring. If they do, then they would be endangering the health of the athletes to play again in the fall. Those who play in the spring would need to continue to play in the spring. jmho.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Urban Meyer pretty much laughed at the notion of playing in the spring....more or less said it was a stupid suggestion (not his words, but it was in his face, very dismissive)
c-jags
Duncan Idaho said:

Part of me thinks it is about breaking the union movement,

it was an anonymous source, but one of the B1G ADs said as much to a sports reporter. They said they're much more worried about the unionization movement than they are covid.

take that for what it's worth.
DTP02
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Agree with OP. Dubious decision. My dtr is a So at UGA in a sorority. Imagine the inevitable exposures. Is the Greek system being shut down? No.

So you're wanting posters to imagine all of the exposed residents at a Deep South sorority house, of which your daughter is a member?

I mean, at the mere mention of SEC sorority house some were probably going to be doing that without you even asking, but I'm sure they will feel better now that they have your permission.
Beat40
I mean, I think just from the practical stand point of IF (and I think we will be) we are still dealing with COVID, we'll be dealing with FLU too. The symptoms are pretty similar, so how are schools going to realistically navigate that during the spring?

Only way may be to start in late March early April when flu season is just about over.

I can't see spring football realistically happening.
NASAg03
Good article on how rational thought from an expert and looking at the big picture can save the day (and possibly college football.)

Quote:

"When Dr. Ackerman spoke, it felt like this wave of relief," Ingram said. "He had a very calming effect, a very logical voice in the room. I thought his talking points were very well-balanced and logical in where we are with the virus, with testing and protocols."

He cautioned them to consider possible mental health ramifications of canceling a season, referencing past experiences with athletes who suffered after being medically disqualified for heart issues.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2020/08/how-a-cardiologist-may-have-saved-the-college-football-season.html?outputType=amp
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
CardiffGiant
AG
To be held "liable" for something the party suing has to PROVE you are liable. How do you prove liability for a virus you could contract literally ANYWHERE?
MaxPower
CardiffGiant said:

To be held "liable" for something the party suing has to PROVE you are liable. How do you prove liability for a virus you could contract literally ANYWHERE?
Some are pointing to contact tracing. That's not what it was intended for so that would be unfortunate. I'm not sure how well that would hold up in a civil court. IMO, they could put in reasonable guidelines and have given players the options not to play with no loss of scholarship. I think it would be very hard to prove the schools acted without due care AND playing football resulted in the damages.

Beyond that, there's the question of how likely are damages to occur to begin with. Younger people are more likely to be asymptomatic and it's very uncommon they have significant complications. The ones who do generally have significant underlying conditions like morbid obesity, cancer history, etc. that don't apply to a college athlete. Even if you were scared to death of myocarditis as a program, why not just have a policy that if you test positive you sit out the year as a precaution?
deadbq03
AG
This is politics, plain and simple.

Most of the universities with big college football are public institutions.

Most of the states in the BigTen and Pac12 are Democratic or Mixed (looking at Senators). Most of the states in the other 3 conferences are Republican.

Like everything else with Covid, toxic partisanship in this country is causing harmful over-reactions from both sides.
NASAg03
Definitely political. Gretchen Whitmer is actively against fall sports, and that includes University of Michigan.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
ham98
NASAg03 said:

Definitely political. Gretchen Whitmer is actively against fall sports, and that includes University of Michigan.
Gotta make people unhappy so they'll vote against Trump.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.