I have to say, I'm perplexed by today's news re: COVID and college athletics

8,000 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ham98
Infection_Ag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just as I've been adamant about the "it's a hoax" crowd being held accountable for pushing false narratives and bad evidence, I've maintained those on the opposite side of the spectrum be held accountable for similarly bad data used to generate fear.

I have to say, nothing about these decisions today (from the timing to the reasons given to the logic of concurrently opening campuses back up) makes sense to me. It's entirely illogical to cite player safety and then argue for making 18 year olds play 25 games in a span of 9 months as a solution. It's nonsensical to open a campus the size of Ohio State up to tens of thousands of undergrads (who will absolutely break your rules designed to contain this) but then claim it's unsafe for <100 athletes who will be screened weekly at a minimum to practice and play football under regulated scrutiny. It's incredibly transparent that this occurred less than a week after going through the trouble to design a modified schedule. And frankly, the discussions being tossed around about viral myocarditis being the reason for this decision is just absurd to the point where some of the most respected cardiologists in the world are calling it out on Twitter. I'm talking people who've written textbook chapters on the topic from places like Mayo and Harvard.

Very disappointing to say the least
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Keegan99
AG
This needs to be POTD.
Texagsubscriber

It is about liability.
NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
NASAg03
Are they cancelling all fall practice?
Closing all gyms?
Keeping students-athletes from coming back to campus?
Requiring them to live in a bubble at home?
All this until the risk of covid is 0?

I agree this makes no sense. If anything, athletes are going to mingle more with other students and elements of society without strict schedules of class / learning, practice, and games.

Seems this is to prevent litigation or optics of "taking advantage of athletes", not for player safety. 3 hrs of close interaction with maybe 10 other players (because positions do matter) once a week isn't going to be what causes huge outbreaks.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
JP_Losman
AG
why would they be liable on coronavirus but not liable for all the other hundreds of health hazards associated with playing football?
Infection_Ag11
AG
Texagsubscriber said:

It is about liability.

Very difficult to prove a causal link with regards to a viral respiratory illness. You'd have to prove they contracted it while participating in athletic activities, and not from anywhere else on or around campus. You'd also have to show those activities places them at an increased risk. If a player dies of any other contagious illness, can the program be held liable in court? You can certainly try but again, good luck.

There is far more potential liability in letting kids back on campus than playing football.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
RGV AG
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Just as I've been adamant about the "it's a hoax" crowd being held accountable for pushing false narratives and bad evidence, I've maintained those on the opposite side of the spectrum be held accountable for similarly bad data used to generate fear.

I have to say, nothing about these decisions today (from the timing to the reasons given to the logic of concurrently opening campuses back up) makes sense to me. It's entirely illogical to cite player safety and then argue for making 18 year olds play 25 games in a span of 9 months as a solution. It's nonsensical to open a campus the size of Ohio State up to tens of thousands of undergrads (who will absolutely break your rules designed to contain this) but then claim it's unsafe for <100 athletes who will be screened weekly at a minimum to practice and play football under regulated scrutiny. It's incredibly transparent that this occurred less than a week after going through the trouble to design a modified schedule. And frankly, the discussions being tossed around about viral myocarditis being the reason for this decision is just absurd to the point where some of the most respected cardiologists in the world are calling it out on Twitter. I'm talking people who've written textbook chapters on the topic from places like Mayo and Harvard.

Very disappointing to say the least
Sir, that is a great post, thank you.
beerad12man
AG
Texagsubscriber said:

It is about liability.

Multiple lawyers have posted today on texags it's nearly impossible to prove and not a case they would consider taking.
GAC06
AG
Texagsubscriber said:

It is about liability.

What legal protections are already in place for schools? Players are seriously injured all the time and it's not unheard of for players to die in practice.
beerad12man
AG
JP_Losman said:

why would they be liable on coronavirus but not liable for all the other hundreds of health hazards associated with playing football?

Crazy, ass backwards world we live in
Duncan Idaho
Part of me thinks it is about breaking the union movement,

part of me thinks it is about protecting the donor class from being in the stands/skyboxes,

part of me thinks it about avoiding the wrongful death suits as the line men aren't going to fair as well as the average 20 something kid (a suit for lost NFL career would be a pretty expensive settlement),

part of me has no clue why

but absolutely no part of me thinks it is about protecting the student athletes.
J. Walter Weatherman
The liability thing makes no sense. Wouldn't they also be able to be sued by any student who gets it if that were the case? This is solely about 1. (Probably 80%) Being scared of the negative pr hit if a player actually gets really sick from it, 2. Very liberal academics appearing woke/cautious/etc to safety-virtue signal to their peers and the media, and 3. knocking athletics down a peg. Unfortunately it's the students, town and university employees that will be punished by a handful of arrogant, over cautious idiots.
fightingfarmer09
Cancel school, no biggie think of all the lives you'll save!

Force mass unemployment, think of all the people you'll save.

Stop all religious services, because the hospitals are full.

Cancel football, you can't do that! Think of the health concerns of playing in the spring!

This forum has jumped the shark.
VKint
AG
Thanks OP, great post.
College age kids have been socializing and partying all summer. Senseless to all of a sudden come up with myocarditis as a reason to cancel football. They will get the virus anyway. Football or not.
I want kids to go to school and then I want them to stay away from their old vulnerable relatives.
I try to stay out of the politics of this but I can't think of any other reason for this.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Agree with OP. Dubious decision. My dtr is a So at UGA in a sorority. Imagine the inevitable exposures. Is the Greek system being shut down? No.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Agree with OP. Dubious decision. My dtr is a So at UGA in a sorority. Imagine the inevitable exposures. Is the Greek system being shut down? No.

Hopefully only at A&M it will be shutdown. I also think grode yells and building Bonfire produce immunity
VKint
AG
Get a portable echo, follow EF on every one weekly or more often on those that are higher risk (obese OL). Do 12 leads regularly. This makes no sense. These kids would be watched far more closely than your average student and probably lower risk.
20ags08
AG
To me it all comes down to money with these people.

They don't want to play a season in the fall knowing that they won't be allowed to have full stadiums. They would rather push it to the spring thinking they'll be able to fill the stands with people. They are hiding behind player safety.

Complete Idiot
20ags08 said:

To me it all comes down to money with these people.

They don't want to play a season in the fall knowing that they won't be allowed to have full stadiums. They would rather push it to the spring thinking they'll be able to fill the stands with people. They are hiding behind player safety.

What happens to TV contract dollars? I really doubt they think they can play in the Spring and would they be forfeiting the TV dollars if they move to a timeframe in competition with other sports?

None of it makes any sense to me. They just seem paralyzed by fear.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Is there a safer environment in America than a college football complex?
LawHall88
AG
beerad12man said:

Texagsubscriber said:

It is about liability.

Multiple lawyers have posted today on texags it's nearly impossible to prove and not a case they would consider taking.
Lots of well heeled PI lawyers would take such a case for the attention and publicity, even if it was a likely loser. Don't kid yourself about that. And the schools would not be excited about fighting public opinion in the courts.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Its political, period .
Derrida
LawHall88 said:

beerad12man said:

Texagsubscriber said:

It is about liability.

Lots of well heeled PI lawyers would take such a case for the attention and publicity, even if it was a likely loser. Don't kid yourself about that. And the schools would not be excited about fighting public opinion in the courts.
Somebody somewhere would take a whack at it, if the facts are bad enough. And you can bet somewhere bad facts would exist, because schools can't regulate everything and kids will be kids.

OTOH, I see why schools believe it can be done.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
There has been plenty of opportunity for this since March. Why are we not seeing this already?
LawHall88
AG
It's just starting.
Quote:

Overall, according to the law firm Hunton Andrews Kurth, as of late July, about 69 employment and labor lawsuits claiming that employees were exposed or potentially exposed to the new coronavirus had been filed.
https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2020/08/03/covid-lawsuits
cone
AG
if it's about liability then how are they not liable for any possible transmission related to the operation of the school

legit question, no snark
plain_o_llama
Another angle is the suggestion they've known they were going to do this for a while. However, they waited until students had committed and paid to announce it. The idea being enrollments might have been off if students knew there would be no Football. Do you think that is real?
LawHall88
AG
cone said:

if it's about liability then how are they not liable for any possible transmission related to the operation of the school

legit question, no snark
The legal standard would be "more likely than not," not "possible." Given how quickly this spreads, it would be difficult to pin down the source of exposure on a "more likely than not" basis, but if you had a situation where there was a cluster of cases at one school, someone would take the case on and make a go of it.

One of the reasons we haven't seen more workplace cases is that liability carriers are challenging coverage for such claims. If there is no insurance, most small or midsize businesses don't have the assets to justify the suit, since the amount available to be recovered might not exceed the cost of litigating the case.
zachsccr
AG
Shoot want to talk about liability or waivers... they should have had you sign one to even walk into the
old Hart Hall on campus (Surely they've renovated it by now...).
I agree 100% there are a lot more risks out there than just COVID that we don't bat an at.
amercer
AG
Roundup doesn't cause cancer.

Mesothelioma diagnosis are mostly bull*****

Lawyers don't seem to have much trouble winning those cases.
bigtruckguy3500
I agree with the above, but to play devil's advocate there are a couple things I can think about on why they may have legitimately thought it better to not play.

Like the liability issue. Remember, winning in court isn't about proving anything, it's about convincing a judge and jury to come to your side. Also, the small ambulance chasing lawyers know that they are unlikely to take it to court, but can probably settle out of court for a few hundred thousand. Then you also have to consider the players that never make it to the NFL, never get a degree, and years down the line develop "asthma" and sue. Again, likely to be settled out of court.

I think there is certainly a concern associated with stands full of students and alumni from all over the country converging. However that could be mitigated by decreased seating, or even no seating/empty stands.

I wonder if they're also considering the possibility of losing big games when their star athletes test positive and can't play.

Or what if one sick person on one team takes out another team? Can one school sue the other?

I think at the end of the day, especially with the big push for player health and payments, and all that, they decided that none of them wanted to be the national example of what not to do.
Post removed:
by user
bay fan
S
I agree. Might as well play and give it a try. It could be shut down if it turned out problematic. Ridiculous decision, I hope the SEC sticks to their guns and takes advantage of the situation!
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
I guess my question is, if the schools are worried about players contracting it during a football season, why would they possibly want them to hang around campus still participating in organized football activity/practices (which is apparently going to be the case)?

If it was purely liability, I would send them home for the semester. It's the reason NFL teams don't allow non-official players into their facilities to work out. Even longtime players that are technically out of contract (but about to re-sign) are locked out.
BowSowy
AG
LawHall88 said:

beerad12man said:

Texagsubscriber said:

It is about liability.

Yeah, just because the case likely won't be lost by the schools doesn't mean they want to face the cost and time required to fight it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.