Indiana Freshman OL Hospitalized

4,791 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Player To Be Named Later
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-freshman-brady-feeney-seriously-ill-covid-19

This isn't going to help with pushing through a full fall football season. I know we always hear about how young college athletes will all just power through this thing, but something to consider is not all college football players are fit and trim WRs and DBs. There's a lot of OL/DL types that could probably have a really bad time with Covid, especially in the lower tiered Universities where not all of the linemen are fit and trim 350lbs.

Infection_Ag11
AG
It's important to remember that many OL are clinically obese and suffer many of the resulting complications of that. Even at the NFL level, where guys tend to carry a much healthier 320 pounds than in HS/college, many of them use CPAP machines at night for sleep apnea and have impaired fasting glucose.

Another thing to consider is a decent number of black players have sickle cell trait, which can manifest itself at low oxygenation levels. It's why there are several black players in the pros who have to sit out when they play in Denver (most famously Ryan Clark I believe, who almost got intubated after a game there once).

Just because you are an elite athlete doesn't mean you don't have a risk factor.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Yeah, this issue isn't quite as simple as "these guys are all young and in great shape" I'm sure this has athletic directors and University Presidents really starting to re-think things.
Infection_Ag11
AG
Their overall risk is very low to be sure, but in our society the fear of litigation will usually drive policy decisions. Nobody wants to be the first program to have a 22 year old dying in an ICU somewhere.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Not even just dying..... hell, we really have no idea what the long term ramifications are going to be. What is this kid looking at long term now? We have no clue yet.
TXAggie2011
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Their overall risk is very low to be sure, but in our society the fear of litigation will usually drive policy decisions. Nobody wants to be the first program to have a 22 year old dying in an ICU somewhere.

Litigation aside and who comes first aside, athletic departments also simply don't want any of their athletes dying.

Yeah, some athletic directors, some staff, and some coaches get paid the big bucks but most people involved in athletics aren't cold, hard businessmen.

Im not naive to the realities of major college athletics, but a lot of the people in the industry are fiercely, naturally inclined to take care of their kids first, the rest be damned.
Infection_Ag11
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Litigation aside and who comes first aside, athletic departments also simply don't want any of their athletes dying.

Yeah, some athletic directors, some staff, and some coaches get paid the big bucks but most people involved in athletics aren't cold, hard businessmen.

Im not naive to the realities of major college athletics, but a lot of the people in the industry are strongly, naturally inclined to take care of their kids first, the rest be damned.

Sure, but they wouldnt be considering shutting down a multi billion dollar industry for a year if the only concern was the health of the kids. That may be a sad reality, but it is reality.
TXAggie2011
AG
I don't mean they're only considering shutting down because of the kids' health.
PJYoung
AG
beerad12man
AG
Player To Be Named Later said:

Yeah, this issue isn't quite as simple as "these guys are all young and in great shape" I'm sure this has athletic directors and University Presidents really starting to re-think things.

It should be.

No where in the history of human kind have we publicized a disease this much. Or try to mitigate it this much. And we have lived through much, much more deadly and dangerous diseases.

And yet human life has prospered on. Continuing to increase our population and average age of death. Which we would do even if we straight up ignored covid from day 1

That said, in today's day and age of pussified suing and media, it makes it harder than it needs to be.
aggiesherpa
AG
beerad12man said:

It should be.

No where in the history of human kind have we publicized a disease this much. Or try to mitigate it this much. And we have lived through much, much more deadly and dangerous diseases.

And yet human life has prospered on. Continuing to increase our population and average age of death. Which we would do even if we straight up ignored covid from day 1

That said, in today's day and age of pussified suing and media, it makes it harder than it needs to be.

What are the "much more deadly and dangerous diseases" we have lived through?
fightingfarmer09
Measles, polio, and smallpox all existed widespread during the lifetime of many on this board.
Ragoo
AG
fightingfarmer09 said:

Measles, polio, and smallpox all existed widespread during the lifetime of many on this board.
Tuberculosis is pretty bad too
Capitol Ag
AG
Again, 1 player out of how many so far has been hospitalized. This is worth watching no doubt, but not a reason to cancel the season. I still say that the amount of muscle and his body's ability to adapt to extreme training stimuli will pull him through this. I pray this kid pulls through and is back at practice in a few weeks. What I also pray for is that university presidents, athletic directors and conference commissioners don't panic at one hospitalization.
DadHammer
AG
You need to be more concerned with distractions, alcohol, and drugs while driving. That kills way more young men than covid ever will. We should take all their cars away and enforce drug and alcohol laws big time then correct?

Plus stop acting like Kids that stay home don't get covid and only going to play FB causes covid. It's just false and misleading.

It's like there were never any deaths until covid came along. It's getting flat out ridiculous.
Capitol Ag
AG
There's also a good chance that Covid has only brought to light a genetic condition he already had and would ha e had issues with even if he had never had Covid. We don't know enough yet to assume Covid gave him a heart condition.
DeangeloVickers
AG
aggiesherpa
AG
Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

All great points, thanks! They just weren't in my lifetime.
agforlife97
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

What are we doing? Giving into fear and allowing the least qualified voices run the country.
Capitol Ag
AG
aggiesherpa said:

Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

They are still around. Travel to certain parts of the world. Unfortunately there are outbreaks of those too from time to time.
fightingfarmer09
Look at tropical diseases and other diseases of poverty and you will change your whole view on Covid.

If we put a fraction of this energy into malaria, how many millions of lives could be saved/improved?

Malaria kills 3000 children...a day.
zebros_95
AG
Capitol Ag said:

aggiesherpa said:

Ragoo said:

fightingfarmer09 said:

They are still around. Travel to certain parts of the world. Unfortunately there are outbreaks of those too from time to time.

Well TB killed 1.4m people in 2018. So there's that.

Never heard a single peep from anyone in the media or politics.
Capitol Ag
AG
Quote:

Look at tropical diseases and other diseases of poverty and you will change your whole view on Covid.

If we put a fraction of this energy into malaria, how many millions of lives could be saved/improved?

Malaria kills 3000 children...a day.
Agree.

Quote:

Well TB killed 1.4m people in 2018. So there's that.

Never heard a single peep from anyone in the media or politics.
Nope. It's not click worthy enough. It's sad...
Player To Be Named Later
AG
This is why this forum has pretty much run its course and is dying EVERY thread, no matter the topic it starts out as, turns into the same debate and talking points as every other thread.

Didn't even take 1 page for this to have absolutely nothing to do with the football season anymore.

Just glad the last few months have given me new priorities in life. I won't be near as disappointed as many when football season gets canceled. Do I think they should? Debatable. But it won't really cause me a whole lot of angst either way.
BigOil
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

There is a perhaps at least a little gray between death and no death when it comes to this.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Are there covid rehab centers im not aware of?

Capitol Ag
AG

This is why this forum has pretty much run its course and is dying EVERY thread, no matter the topic it starts out as, turns into the same debate and talking points as every other thread.

Didn't even take 1 page for this to have absolutely nothing to do with the football season anymore.

Just glad the last few months have given me new priorities in life. I won't be near as disappointed as many when football season gets canceled. Do I think they should? Debatable. But it won't really cause me a whole lot of angst either way.
This thread has everything to do with football season. The debate itself is whether football can happen, should or should not happen and where we stand on that.

As for this forum, I just don't think that there is any way that the debate can't be had anymore. Sure, when Covid started, it was great to have insight and a place to find out information. But that all changed once we saw what Covid was and when the goal posts started moving. Yes, this forum has run its course. But so has the idea of Covid. The only real question left is when/if we will have a vaccine to hopefully end all of this madness, or, as I stated earlier, when will the pendulum finally swing back towards living our lives the way we did prior to covid even when covid is still with us.

I was glad that the forum started when it did. But I think it should be open for policy debate b/c many of the ideas on here, at their very core, are debatable and it's important now that we realize that one can't just decide to post about any of this and not see that the information and the reactions to the pandemic are directly tied to the policies implemented to try to combat the pandemic. Let's be honest, the vast majority of topics on here are either related to one side or the other regarding policy and if this virus warrants the type of policies we have allowed to be put in place. Either that or, "my throat hurts , what should I do" posts that honestly are needless in most cases. So you brushed an office co-worker who 3 days later tested positive for Covid. Quarantine for 2 weeks or don't. If the masks are so damn effective, wear your's and don't worry about it. Unfortunately, a very large portion of us just cannot realistically quarantine every time someone sneezes or coughs around us and still be able to provide for our families and live our lives, forget about doing anything "selfish" for ourselves. Guys, at some point we will have to stop all of this. That is just a fact. It's no longer reasonable, responsible or safe to actually keep all of this up. I'd be happy to end the forum as I think it breeds more fear and many could argue this has really become a place of group think to support excessive caution in contrast to the Political Forum's open up fully group. I feel I can debate and not insult nor disrespect others. I have friends and loved ones that totally disagree with my position on policy regarding the virus but we stay friends b/c I can respect them. So I say open this up fully for debate. Heck, it really already is.
AgsMyDude
AG
Yep. It takes < 5 posts for the same group to bring up how people die in cars, etc. Extremely predictable.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Sounds great if you are expecting anything "new". Both "sides" are entrenched and I guess a lot of us are pretty tired of it.

At this point this whole thing is what it is and "debating" with strangers isn't going to solve anything. I liked this forum for the information from the medical community, and they have in large part been run out of here because of all the nonsense. With those guys not really wanting to get involved anymore, this thing may as well just be F16.2
AustinAg2K
Edit: Comment removed so I don't help derail the thread.
Capitol Ag
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Yep. It takes < 5 posts for the same group to bring up how people die in cars, etc. Extremely predictable.
Except I don't see what the original post is supposed to bring to the table in the first place. I doubt the intention was to have discussion with doctors about this. It was to show that football may not happen. This topic, than, doesn't even belong on this forum. It belongs in Premium or Football forums where there can be real discussion regarding the implications of this kid being hospitalized. What is the "medical" part of the original story? There isn't one as we know nothing about the kid's medical background etc.
Capitol Ag
AG

Sounds great if you are expecting anything "new". Both "sides" are entrenched and I guess a lot of us are pretty tired of it.

At this point this whole thing is what it is and "debating" with strangers isn't going to solve anything. I liked this forum for the information from the medical community, and they have in large part been run out of here because of all the nonsense. With those guys not really wanting to get involved anymore, this thing may as well just be F16.2
But per your own argument, your OP doesn't belong in this forum either.

And keep in mind, I don't have any issue with you posting it. But there is a thread on Premium as well. That's where news about anything football related belongs as I do not see how this story has anything to do with the original intentions of the forum. All it is is debate fodder, nothing more.

Remember, this entire website exists mainly b/c and for football. Yes, it's become so much more and I love that. But it started with and fundamentally depends on football to be a success.

Quote:

On football, just the game, sure. Totally agree. But college football is much much much more than a game. Entire businesses in college towns completely depend on a college football season to exist. Business owners and employees depend on the revenues created to be able to just put food on the table. With no season, there will be a very drastic and horrible consequence to most of these people far worse than catching Covid and that to me IS the priority I am considering. The economic and in turn lifestyle and overall health ramifications associated with not having a season MUST be the most important fact considered in my mind.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.