State Website Updates Demographics for all 8,096 Texans Lost So Far.

6,943 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bay fan
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Infection_Ag11 said:

culdeus said:

Oh the obese know it. They just dgaf.

The ones with a BMI of 45 sure. 32? Maybe not.

Lots of folks carrying an extra 20-30 pounds with hypertension and insulin resistance out there who think they are pretty healthy.

Sorry, I don't remember where you practice, but we have a lot of people in America who refuse to buy health insurance, and make up some libertarian gobblety-goop to defend it, but they don't have a problem going to the ER and passing the bill to the tax-payers. Passing the buck on responsibility is the American way, unfortunately.
Complete Idiot
Lester Freamon said:

If anyone wants proof that lockdowns don't work, look at Hawaii right now. They haven't allowed non residents without a 14 day quarantine since April 1 and even have an OUTDOOR mask policy.

How many non residents go to Hawaii for more than 14 days? That move alone virtually guaranteed no tourists would be traveling to the islands and importing the virus.

On June 5th Hawaii started to re-open restaurants and public parks.

On June 16th Hawaii started to allow locals to travel between islands without a 14 day quarantine.

Not sure if those contributed, but there was Covid in Hawaii before the recent rise - it was just in very low numbers.
Complete Idiot
This probably has been shared before, it's been out for a few weeks. It also only has data through end of May, but I found some of these numbers eye opening even considering they've been discussed before.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e1.htm
Complete Idiot
Complete Idiot said:

Lester Freamon said:

If anyone wants proof that lockdowns don't work, look at Hawaii right now. They haven't allowed non residents without a 14 day quarantine since April 1 and even have an OUTDOOR mask policy.

How many non residents go to Hawaii for more than 14 days? That move alone virtually guaranteed no tourists would be traveling to the islands and importing the virus.

On June 5th Hawaii started to re-open restaurants and public parks.

On June 16th Hawaii started to allow locals to travel between islands without a 14 day quarantine.

Not sure if those contributed, but there was Covid in Hawaii before the recent rise - it was just in very low numbers.
Aruba opened up to foreign travel early July, a bit broader in mid July when they opened to US travelers. I was tracking this back in late spring since we had a late June family trip there, ultimately had to cancel.

Definitely seem to have imported some cases. But since they are testing everyone that arrives ( I think), then nearly all these positives may be arriving visitors?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/aruba/
Keller6Ag91
AG
amercer said:

That's interesting, but 48% of adults have cardiovascular disease, one in 3 Americans is diabetic or prediabetic, and 10% of the country has lung disease. Those are the three most common underlying conditions associated with Covid deaths. So the fact that most of the severe cases have underlying conditions isn't surprising or reassuring.

With those numbers, it's actually shocking we haven't lost five times as many as we have.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
bay fan
S
94chem said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

culdeus said:

Lots of folks carrying an extra 20-30 pounds with hypertension and insulin resistance out there who think they are pretty healthy.

Sorry, I don't remember where you practice, but we have a lot of people in America who refuse to buy health insurance, and make up some libertarian gobblety-goop to defend it, but they don't have a problem going to the ER and passing the bill to the tax-payers. Passing the buck on responsibility is the American way, unfortunately.
I agree with you regarding the uninsured using the ER as a general practice, passing the 1000.00 cost of a cold to the tax payers. It has been one of the major irks I have had but the truth is, as a self employed person, insurance cost me more then 1200 a month for a family of three (a very average policy which made me only take my kids to the ER if the bone sticks out of the skin). It's almost impossible for many to pay for it........
fig96
AG
Ol_Ag_02 said:

swc93 said:

Premium said:

So zero kids 0-9 and 8 people 10-19 have died - curious about the underlying conditions of the 8.

Logically, we should shut down all schools.

Unfortunately the kids don't live by themselves.

Absolutely. We should cower in a corner until a full proof vaccine has been mass distributed to every last man, woman, and child on earth.
Because there's zero inbetween there.

Just like it's unfair for people to say that folks who want things open don't care if anyone dies, it's also probably unfair to say that anyone voicing concern wants everything to be locked down indefinitely.
Proposition Joe
bay fan said:

94chem said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

culdeus said:

I agree with you regarding the uninsured using the ER as a general practice, passing the 1000.00 cost of a cold to the tax payers. It has been one of the major irks I have had but the truth is, as a self employed person, insurance cost me more then 1200 a month for a family of three (a very average policy which made me only take my kids to the ER if the bone sticks out of the skin). It's almost impossible for many to pay for it........

Yup. Health insurance for self-employed is ridiculously bad. Pre-ACA it wasn't near as bad as you could have a high deductible HSA plan but you still had multiple options for providers.

In Texas for the most part Assurant was one of the only options for self-employed, and it was pretty bad. Now it's Oscar, which is even worse.
Proposition Joe
Yup. Health insurance for self-employed is ridiculously bad. Pre-ACA it wasn't near as bad as you could have a high deductible HSA plan but you still had multiple options for providers.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Keller6Ag91 said:

amercer said:

That's interesting, but 48% of adults have cardiovascular disease, one in 3 Americans is diabetic or prediabetic, and 10% of the country has lung disease. Those are the three most common underlying conditions associated with Covid deaths. So the fact that most of the severe cases have underlying conditions isn't surprising or reassuring.

With those numbers, it's actually shocking we haven't lost five times as many as we have.

No matter the age or health of a person, they have a good chance of surviving. Even the elderly have over an 80% chance of surviving. High risk in medicine has a different meaning than the general public.
MaxPower
Proposition Joe said:

ORAggieFan said:

amercer said:

I disagree. It's very reassuring when you don't have those things.

I think one of the problems is a lot of people have those things and don't actually know it.
Yup. I'd also be interesting in what they categorize as "cardiovascular disease". If it's thing as simple as elevated blood pressure or high cholesterol then I suspect 48% is a low estimate, specifically when looking at those over 40 years old. They really need to break that category down. The difference between high cholesterol with no other conditions vs having had a triple bypass are drastically different medical conditions.
beerad12man
AG
H.E. Pennypacker said:

culdeus said:

People should take more responsibility for their health. However, we are now into a generation of American adults that has been marketed to incessantly since they were small children. One of the main things that drives the national economy that everyone wants to save is selling a bunch of stuff that people don't really need (like fast food etc), and convincing people they want/need it. It's a bigger culture issue than you probably think.
So maybe we should shut down and protest in front of McDonalds instead of shutting down gyms, beaches, etc.

Here's the deal. Most Americans didn't realize it before covid, and still don't, but to live the way we currently live life, we sacrifice people every day. We just don't see it. Nothing has been publicized and tracked daily like Covid is. That's what creates the fear and has gotten us to this major overreacting to an even that, if we did NOTHING about, 95-98% of us would be far better off. And our popluation would keep growing, our average age of death would remain unchanged, and no one would have cared. But, media, politicians, and crooked lawyers who see opportunity, all cancers to society f*** everything up.
beerad12man
AG
Lester Freamon said:

Once this thing gets going, it spreads like wildfire. There is no holding it back forever, short of a miracle vaccine, which many of us aren't willing to wait indefinitely for. I sincerely hope it occurs by end of 2020 or at the latest, spring 2021. But even if not, we may very well hit our level of immunity where it doesn't make a huge difference. Obviously we keep going for it. It's better than not.

Then it hits a certain portion of the population after spreading quicker than originally thought, kills less of a percentage than originally thought, and begins to taper off. With different mitigation strategies across the globe. Masks/no masks. Social distancing, lockdowns, etc.

Luckily in Texas, we are getting closer and closer to that point, and looks like we already reached the tipping point. Which, depending on the population and the presumed immunity that population has, appears to be 15-25% Here is Texas now estimated at 18.7% and the graphs going down. https://covid19-projections.com/us-tx

Once everyone wakes up to this, we will be better off. Now, that said, this assumes some social distancing and mask orders are still followed. We all have our own opinions/agreements as to whether those are worth it, but it is what it is.
alton70
AG
AgE Doc said:

State Dashboard (LINK)

Percent of the Total Fatalities (8,096)
0% are 0-9 Year Olds
0.1% are 10-19 Year Olds
0.8% are 20-29 Year Olds
2.1% are 30-39 Year Olds
5.4% are 40-49 Year Olds
11.4% are 50-59 Year Olds
21.0% are 60-69 Year Olds
24.7% are 70-79 Year Olds
34.5% are 80+ Year Olds

On the state website it used to have a % that was testing positive, but now I can not find that data.
Anybody know where they moved it to?
Proposition Joe
MaxPower said:

Proposition Joe said:

ORAggieFan said:

amercer said:

I disagree. It's very reassuring when you don't have those things.

I think one of the problems is a lot of people have those things and don't actually know it.
Yup. I'd also be interesting in what they categorize as "cardiovascular disease". If it's thing as simple as elevated blood pressure or high cholesterol then I suspect 48% is a low estimate, specifically when looking at those over 40 years old. They really need to break that category down. The difference between high cholesterol with no other conditions vs having had a triple bypass are drastically different medical conditions.

My biggest beef about the reporting of all of this (and there's been a lot to be upset about) is how "underlying conditions" became the de facto standard when reporting... Something that not only gave people very little information to work with, but also caused people who were absolutely in that category to think that it doesn't apply to them.

It was never going to happen, but I would have absolutely loved if the reporting consisted of age, race, significant underlying condition (eg. diabetes, major heart issues, cancer survivor, etc...) but also gave us a height/weight or BMI.

That BMI would have served two purposes - not only would it have given us a lot more data to know if we were at risk, but it would have motivated those more at risk to get their ass in shape.
bay fan
S
Proposition Joe said:

Actually ACA didn't effect me one way or another until my son was able to get a plan at like 99/mo which was a tremendous help.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.