Grandparents Tested Positive

3,646 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
BB675
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Both of my grandparents (Ages 81 and 82) just tested positive. Any advice I can give my grandparents to help overcome the virus besides what is in the Reveille thread above? I feel like the odds of defeating the virus dramatically decrease once you get up in age. It appears most doctors are prescribing Z pack and prednisone once diagnosed. Are they too old for Hydroxychloroquin?
Keller6Ag91
AG
Boost the immune system. Plenty of folks that age have beat COVID.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
SkiMo
AG
See what they can do about getting this medicine if possible

https://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3128803
oldyella
AG
HCQ+Zinc+ZPAK and get them a pulse oximeter to monitor their O2 levels. They dip, call primary care physician for next steps. May want to reach out to Dr.Coates on the sticky above. He seems the most pragmatic on this board.

[Lets' try not to inject politics into the discussion if it can be avoided. Sometimes it can't, but this is not one of those occasions--Staff]
oldyella
AG

You need to reach out to your primary care physician. If you believe in the mounds statistical evidence supporting that regimen, then feel free to doctor shop. Monitoring your pulse ox is easy to do and can let you know if you are getting in trouble. Plenty of research on how to self read the numbers is out there, likewise your physician can offer the ranges of concern. Most of the people on this board believe orangeman is bad, HCQ regimen or not, if it gets bad enough the treatment is the same in the hospital.

EDIT: I strongly believe in the pulse oximeter because you may be in trouble and not know it yet. Conversely if the numbers are good but other symptoms get severe (like the fever). If either happen have your physician on speed dial.
oragator
Scary for sure, that is my biggest fear, my parents are in that general bracket.

Good luck to them.
tysker
AG
Stay classy my friend
oldyella
AG

My point is the HCQ+Zinc regimen may be pissing money down the toilet (like taking some vitamins). It may work for you, it may not. Why do you militantly discredit something on your feelz and the fact that it has not been double blind evaluated under heavily funded by big pharma research grants, and like minded orangeman bad researches? I am talking the statistics of other countries that implemented it, I am talking a group of 40K officers all on it. Statistically it shows promise. I would try everything that was not harmful to me, under guidance of my PCP, to either prevent or reduce the effects. If it does not work, it is still the same treatment plan in the hospital.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

My point is the HCQ+Zinc regimen may be pissing money down the toilet (like taking some vitamins). It may work for you, it may not. Why do you militantly discredit something on your feelz and the fact that it has not been double blind evaluated under heavily funded by big pharma research grants, and like minded orangeman bad researches?
I don't know if the HCQ ++++ combo early on in the infection blah blah works or not and I agree there seems minimal downside in trying it ex the heart issues relevant to a small portion of the population.

But lets be clear what is being suggested here. You are saying the OP's parents should ignore the advice of their trained physicians and go doctor shopping for a treatment that has has support from only certain folks for the reasons I listed above. President Trump's own team from Dr. Birx to his testing czar Dr. Brett Giroir to Fauci (who I know you probably don't want to listen to) to the HHS covid vaccine head all agree that HCQ doesnt work.

You can blame that on partisan politics if you want.
Windy City Ag
AG
To the OP, I have three acquaintances in their 80s who have contracted COVID and recovered without any hospital support. One guy lost a bit of weight from the GI issues. The other two ladies were almost asymptomatic and just suffered stir craziness from the quarantine.

Fingers crossed that you grandparents have a mild case.
oldyella
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

My point is the HCQ+Zinc regimen may be pissing money down the toilet (like taking some vitamins). It may work for you, it may not. Why do you militantly discredit something on your feelz and the fact that it has not been double blind evaluated under heavily funded by big pharma research grants, and like minded orangeman bad researches?
I don't know if the HCQ ++++ combo early on in the infection blah blah works or not and I agree there seems minimal downside in trying it ex the heart issues relevant to a small portion of the population.

But lets be clear what is being suggested here. You are saying the OP's parents should ignore the advice of their trained physicians and go doctor shopping for a treatment that has has support from only certain folks for the reasons I listed above. President Trump's own team from Dr. Birx to his testing czar Dr. Brett Giroir to Fauci (who I know you probably don't want to listen to) to the HHS covid vaccine head all agree that HCQ doesnt work.

You can blame that on partisan politics if you want.
Reread OP, nowhere did they even talk to their PCP. Maybe they did, but it was not listed, so I was not privy to that information like you. Its their body, and their choice. Nothing wrong with doctor shopping either and to answer his question there PCP would know best on prior medical issues but HCQ is used by millions of people everyday with no issues.
Derrida
oldyella said:

Windy City Ag said:

My point is the HCQ+Zinc regimen may be pissing money down the toilet (like taking some vitamins). It may work for you, it may not. Why do you militantly discredit something on your feelz and the fact that it has not been double blind evaluated under heavily funded by big pharma research grants, and like minded orangeman bad researches? I am talking the statistics of other countries that implemented it, I am talking a group of 40K officers all on it. Statistically it shows promise. I would try everything that was not harmful to me, under guidance of my PCP, to either prevent or reduce the effects. If it does not work, it is still the same treatment plan in the hospital.

What if the grandparents are compromised in a cardiological sense? I wouldn't waste a moment on HCQ unless the treating physicians recommend it.

If they are hospitalized, I work to get some RLF-100 instead.
Derrida
Windy City Ag said:

To the OP, I have three acquaintances in their 80s who have contracted COVID and recovered without any hospital support. One guy lost a bit of weight from the GI issues. The other two ladies were almost asymptomatic and just suffered stir craziness from the quarantine.

My good friend, aged 79, died April 9, 2020 from CoVid and HCQ use. It was worthless.

Listen to good, informed physicians, not those trying to be politically in tune with their closest FoxNews broadcaster. Avoid demon sperm too.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Derrida said:

oldyella said:

Windy City Ag said:

What if the grandparents are compromised in a cardiological sense? I wouldn't waste a moment on HCQ unless the treating physicians recommend it.

Lets not get carried away with aviptadil, we have no evidence outside of an in vitro study that it does anything. Dexamethasone, on the other hand, has been shown to actually save lives in those requiring oxygen in randomized control trials, and it is amazing that the general public knows nothing about it. Important to note, that it does not help those not needing oxygen, and we should probably be avoiding all steroids for COVID outside of those requiring oxygen or that have asthma or COPD, given that there was a trend towards increased mortality in those receiving dexamethasone who did not require oxygen.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Derrida
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

Derrida said:

oldyella said:

Windy City Ag said:

Lets not get carried away with aviptadil, we have no evidence outside of an in vitro study that it does anything. Dexamethasone, on the other hand, has been shown to actually save lives in those requiring oxygen in randomized control trials, and it is amazing that the general public knows nothing about it. Important to note, that it does not help those not needing oxygen, and we should probably be avoiding all steroids for COVID outside of those requiring oxygen or that have asthma or COPD, given that there was a trend towards increased mortality in those receiving dexamethasone who did not require oxygen.
I will admit we have scant evidence but we have this report.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/08/05/houston-methodist-reports-rapid-recovery-of-covid-19-patients-with-new-drug/
VKint
AG
The story on aviptadil is basically a press release. Way too soon to ask for it or encourage its use. need some info other than what the company has released. May be great and just what we need but there is no usable clinical info yet. Everyone hates to hear this but let some trials be run and make sure it does not help some people yet cause others to die at a greater rate.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
badbilly
AG
88 year old grandmother-in-law beat it, they used steroids for her lungs and it helped.
DadHammer
AG
Derrida said:

Windy City Ag said:

My good friend, aged 79, died April 9, 2020 from CoVid and HCQ use. It was worthless.

Listen to good, informed physicians, not those trying to be politically in tune with their closest FoxNews broadcaster. Avoid demon sperm too.

HCQ did not kill anyone.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Derrida said:

Windy City Ag said:

How on earth did 14 people star this post? One thing is for sure and that is nobody should listen to this poster.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.