Good news but NO ONE cares-Study: Between 20% to 50% of Population is Immune (t-cell)

5,048 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by HotardAg07
Austin Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

SARS-CoV-2 reactive CD4+ T cells have been reported in unexposed individuals, suggesting pre-existing cross-reactive T cell memory in 20-50% of people.
Selective and cross-reactive SARS-CoV-2 T cell epitopes in unexposed humans
Rock Too
AG
Maybe because most of us don't know what it means.
Keegan99
AG
Absolutely correct.

Some discussion here:

http://texags.com/forums/84/topics/3128655
Austin Ag
AG
^
|
Thank you. I did a search...could not find any other posts. I see that is because this breaking great wonderful news lasted 15-minutes as the media ignored it.
planoaggie123
AG
Some media outlets would flip your headline to be "50% to 80% of Population at High Risk of COVID"
Pops81
AG
planoaggie123 said:

Some media outlets would flip your headline to be "50% to 80% of Population at High Risk of COVID"

This.
Pops81
HotardAg07
AG
That is NOT what that paper says. Just because there are cross-reactive T-cells in a large part of the community does not mean that these people are IMMUNE.

This is a quote directly pulled from the paper:
Quote:

Based on these data, it is plausible to hypothesize that pre-existing cross-reactive HCoV CD4+ T cell memory in some donors could be a contributing factor to variations in COVID-19 patient disease outcomes, but this is at present highly speculative).

Read it closely, it is PLAUSIBLE to HYPOTHESIZE that this cross reactivity could be a contributing factor to variations in disease OUTCOMES, but at present this is HIGHLY SPECULATIVE. You can't read that paper and definitely say that immunity is proven or concluded. This may only be a factor which helps to explain the heterogeneity in severity of symptoms, not immunity.
et98
AG
I don't know anything about T cells and all that stuff, but I do know that there are countless reports of 1 spouse getting Covid with the other one not getting it, although they had quarantined together as normal (slept in the same bed, kissed on the mouth, sex, road trips together, eaten 100+ meals together, etc).

I'm no scientist, so I can't tell you WHY there's some level of immunity in people, I can only tell you THAT there's some level of immunity in people.

Also, my wife gets the flu, strep throat, bronchitis, and/or something similar 2 or 3 times a year while I've had none of these since 1989.

Immune systems are weird.
Demo_Slug
AG
Yup immunity is a strong word. everyone wants to know why out comes vary. I'd suspect that theses 20%+ of people with T cell immunity would still get mildly sick and still be contagious.

But until we know why outcome very so much, getting Covid is a game of Russian roulette.
beerad12man
AG
Russian roulette with 99.35& to 99.75% odds as opposed to 67% odds. I'll play that game for a return to mostly normalcy.
RGV AG
AG
My wife tested positive for Covid. She had absolutely -0- symptoms, none (save for loss of taste and smell). She only got tested because she worked herself up into a lather about some people that she had been around coming down with the virus.

My wife and I had led a normal existence up to that point.

On the night that my wife got her positive test result, I was in Brownsville and took my daughter out to eat. I ordered a whole flounder broiled Mexican style in garlic sauce. I couldn't taste anything. Uggh. So by deduction I assumed I had it. My wife and I then isolated from my daughter and my father, who is very frail and elderly, and lives with us.

I looked at getting tested in the US, but it was too complicated, a 3 day wait for an appointment where they said the wait was 2 to 5 hours and then 3 days to get the test back, and I had absolutely no symptoms. 2 days later I went back to work in Mexico, as we are balls to the wall making medical goods for CDC programs, and basically stayed 10' or more away from everyone and wore a mask etc. If I am not there this would have ground to a halt. I stayed in Mexico for 4 days.

On the 7th day after my wife got the positive test I arranged to take one at a lab in Mexico that is doing them, they shoved that deal up my nose and sent it off. On the 11th day from my wife's test my test came back negative.

My daughter and my father both tested negative in the US.

What this all means, I have no idea. My wife never had symptom one, except loss of taste and smell, and that returned in her case about 3/4 days after she tested positive. I can taste and smell now, and I wonder if I didn't think myself into not being able to taste/smell when the situation with my wife became known to me.

Diyala Nick
AG
Cross reactive t-cells /= immunity.

It may mean a less severe infection, or nothing at all. Likely good news, but it doesnt mean that 30-50% of people "can't get it"
coolerguy12
AG
Quote:

What this all means, I have no idea. My wife never had symptom one, except loss of taste and smell, and that returned in her case about 3/4 days after she tested positive. I can taste and smell now, and I wonder if I didn't think myself into not being able to taste/smell when the situation with my wife became known to me.

This is interesting. My wife got tested a few weeks ago due to some symptoms. A couple days later I started to feel like my taste was way off to the point that I had her give me a spoonful of ice cream with me blindfolded to see if I could taste what flavor it was. I passed the test but still felt like stuff wasn't as flavorful for a couple days. She ended up testing negative.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
coolerguy12 said:

Quote:

This is interesting. My wife got tested a few weeks ago due to some symptoms. A couple days later I started to feel like my taste was way off to the point that I had her give me a spoonful of ice cream with me blindfolded to see if I could taste what flavor it was. I passed the test but still felt like stuff wasn't as flavorful for a couple days. She ended up testing negative.

Oh you will know, when I got COVID my sense of smell shut off completely. I could have stuck my face in a pile of horse crap and not smelled it. It comes back very gradually, takes about a month.
Kceovaisnt-
AG
It is different case to case. My girlfriend had it a few weeks ago and lost her sense of taste and smell after her main symptoms resolved completely. Her taste and smell came back in a couple of days.
swc93
AG
Quote:

I ordered a whole flounder broiled Mexican style in garlic sauce.

Flounder is so bland it actually cancels flavor, that is why you couldn't taste anything, hth's.
fullback44
AG
Demo_Slug said:

Yup immunity is a strong word. everyone wants to know why out comes vary. I'd suspect that theses 20%+ of people with T cell immunity would still get mildly sick and still be contagious.

But until we know why outcome very so much, getting Covid is a game of Russian roulette.
I tested positive for antibodies after being mildly sick for 3-4 days and then a rash that lasted 2 weeks ... I think a lot of people have some type of immunity in there system ... it was a very very mild case for me less the 2 week chest rash .. which didn't hurt just look reddish

Once again.. this is not the Spanish flu or the plague .. hell it may no even match the flu
amercer
AG
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/08/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-covid/?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_virus-asymptomatic-130pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans
DadHammer
AG
Dude, I am really glad you came out so well.

HotardAg07
AG
One of the authors of this paper made a Twitter thread trying clarify what his study says related to immunity:

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.