Lolpoor paging Marcus Aurelius

13,223 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by ham98
Kool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Question for Dr. Marcus, or any other pulmonologists. I just got an "interesting consult" 59 yo male a couple months post COVID late March, was intubated late March, intubated x 14 days, self-extubated, and has been having SOB since then. He was on CPAP before, says he lost about 40 - 50 pounds post COVID but is still 5'4" and 215#. Pulmonologist scoped him and he has a large granuloma on the left immediately below the posterior aspect of the cord, and another granuloma vs just granulation tissue midline subglottic. Easy enough, but the kicker is that he has extensive tracheomalacia with dynamic collapse extending even into the mainstem bronchi. Pulmonologist sent me a video and it's really impressive. I am a Lolpoor and technologically challenged, not sure I would even know how to post the video.

Question for you is, do you think the tracheomalacia has anything to do with his COVID-19, or just years of being a big, fat fatty McFatface as we say here? He, consistent with his self-extubation, has discontinued his CPAP because he thinks he is "cured" after he lost weight. I can try to post some photos later when I get back to the office and have some time. He's on insulin, a statin, Losartan, Metformin, and - daily prednisone. He says he cannot come off of his prednisone without getting short of breath (which, of course, is exacerbating his diabetes). Ugh.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Forum Troll
AG
Quote:

big, fat fatty McFatface
Apt descriptor.
ETFan
Kool said:

...or just years of being a big, fat fatty McFatface as we say here?

I hope this is how it's documented in his PMH.
VKint
AG
ICD code for big, fat fatty McFatface? May need to borrow that.
Hate to derail thread but that was funny.
Intersted in hearing answer to the real question.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SkiMo
AG
The fact that the virus didn't kill him tells me all I need to know about this virus....it's ****ing crazy and there is still much to learn about why some people die and others are asymptomatic.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
On call at your service sir. IMO - the "granulomas" are secondary to ETT. The tracheomalacia is coincidental to COVID. Long term. Would need to see scans. One would need to consider Mounier-Kuhn syndrome among others at that age. Needs full PFTS, CT chest. If I saw him I would obviously re-bronch.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

One would need to consider Mounier-Kuhn syndrome among others at that age.
There are just no bland, American disease names. No Bob Jackson disorder or Frank Smith disease.
Sims
AG
This "interesting consult" fella sounds like he likes to party...and is probably really good at it.
aggiematt07
AG
There's always Wilson's Disease?
Kool
AG

The intubation granuloma is easy. The posterior subglottic granulation tissue is possibly a bit of a challenge, as it looks pretty broad based. Not sure if I'll need some sort of steroid eluting stent postop (what a pain in the ass) vs just intralesional steroid injection. The real question I have is how much the tracheomalacia is going to be problematic for him, whether or not it relates to his COVID, etc. Especially if he thinks he is magically cured of his OSA now that he has possibly moved from the morbidly obese category to merely the obese category. This will be my first foray into the trachea in a post COVID patient. I must admit it has me a tad preoccupied. Thanks for your responses, Marcus.

Hope the pics came out OK. In addition to being lolpoor, I'm old.
GE
AG
Kool said:

Jesus. I don't know how yall do what you do. Glad you do though.
Jackal99
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

One would need to consider Mounier-Kuhn syndrome among others at that age.
There are just no bland, American disease names. No Bob Jackson disorder or Frank Smith disease.
Lou Gehrig's disease? Can't get much more American than Lou Gehrig.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Dude. You are so tech savvy. That is a classic post ETT glottic granuloma. Can't tell about trachea given those pics. MK syndrome associated with pits in tracheal wall and bronchiectasis. Also - that is a large ridge of subglottic stenosis. That is why he is dyspneic. Needs laser resection. ENT referral.
Kool
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Dude. You are so tech savvy. That is a classic post ETT glottic granuloma. Can't tell about trachea given those pics. MK syndrome associated with pits in tracheal wall and bronchiectasis.
I would love to text you his bronch video. I could tell staph you could email me or text me contact info if you wish. I do respect people's privacy in the Forum. Gracias
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Edited my reply. See above. The subglottic stenosis is significant and the most pressing issue.
AggieOO
i have no idea what i'm reading in this thread (other than the fatty mcfatface comment), but i'm enthralled.
Kool
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Edited my reply. See above. The subglottic stenosis is significant and the most pressing issue.
Thanks again. I contacted Staph, the video is pretty impressive and I'm perfectly OK with them contacting you to give you my email address and cell so I could forward it if you wanted. Have you seen other COVIDs with tracheomalacia? That's a bit further "south" than I am used to.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Tried to PM you but can't.. No - have not seen COVID effect the trachea.
lazuras_dc
AG
GE said:

Kool said:

Jesus. I don't know how yall do what you do. Glad you do though.

Surprised no ones flagged this yet
Knucklesammich
I have only a directional understanding that a fat dude has issues with his throat and esophagus and yet this is as someone else said, enthralling.

Kool
AG
Knucklesammich said:

I have only a directional understanding that a fat dude has issues with his throat and esophagus and yet this is as someone else said, enthralling.

Really fat dude has sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, and sleep apnea. 'Murca.
Really fat dude gets The COVIDs. Thanks, China.
Really fat dude goes on a ventilator.
Really fat dude yanks the tube out of his trachea himself after two weeks.
Really fat dude "flies" off of the ventilator and gets discharged.
Really fat dude goes home and discovers his really fat dude pants are looser.
Really fat dude decides that means he no longer has sleep apnea.
Really fat dude ditches his CPAP machine. 'Murca.
Really fat dude still can't breathe unless he is taking steroids.
Steroids make really fat dude's blood pressure and diabetes hard to manage.
Really fat dude gets sent to see lung doctor, who sets him up for a "look-see".
Lung doctor does a classic "peek and shriek", calls me up and says, "Tag. You're "it"".
Jackal99
AG
If I wasn't enthralled before, I am now.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Was that your consult note?
tysker
AG
Kool said:

Knucklesammich said:

Really fat dude has sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes, and sleep apnea. 'Murca.
Lung doctor does a classic "peak and shriek", calls me up and says, "Tag. You're "it"".

edit to delete: i intended the post to be snarky but in rereading it just across as bitter and agro. the thread is probably better with it gone
Mark Fairchild
AG
Impressive! I have never been privy to two (outstanding AGGIE doctors) discussing a case. I must say besides being very impressed, I am pretty confident that the U.S. medical profession still has great physicians, that care about their patients. Thanks for letting us sit in on your consultation. On a personal note, I hope the fat dude improves.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Kool
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Dude. You are so tech savvy. That is a classic post ETT glottic granuloma. Can't tell about trachea given those pics. MK syndrome associated with pits in tracheal wall and bronchiectasis. Also - that is a large ridge of subglottic stenosis. That is why he is dyspneic. Needs laser resection. ENT referral.
I am the ENT. Staph said they contacted you to give you my contact info, I will forward along his bronch. I found his degree of tracheomalacia to be pretty impressive. Granted, I don't do flex bronchs. IF you know how to post it on the thread, I am OK with that. There is no patient identifying information, no HIPAA concerns. I also have to wonder, with his OSA, just how much the posterior lesion might relate to continual negative intrathoracic pressure and almost certain reflux. I did start PPIs and H2 blockers, Mediterranean diet, alkaline water, all the usual stuff people don't adhere to.
zachsccr
AG
I needed this thread today. Thank you.
'Murcia.
tremble
AG
Amazing thread y'all. Thanks for the smiles today.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Do you do laser/stents?
Charpie
AG
This thread
deadbq03
AG
zachsccr said:

I needed this thread today. Thank you.
'Murcia.
Wessex or GTFO
Bonfired
AG
Kool said:

Knucklesammich said:

Lung doctor does a classic "peak and shriek", calls me up and says, "Tag. You're "it"".

Love the translation...the beginning of it reminded me of Blazing Saddles.

"You said sleep apnea twice."

"I like sleep apnea."
SunrayAg
AG
Definitely interesting to listen in on the consultation.

But at the same time, after standing naked in front of my dermatologist and his nurse earlier this week, I'm a little concerned about what my nickname might be...
VKint
AG
That is the best HPI I think I have ever read. Accurate, informative, concise and entertaining. True greatness.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Kool said:

Marcus Aurelius said:

I am the ENT. Staph said they contacted you to give you my contact info, I will forward along his bronch. I found his degree of tracheomalacia to be pretty impressive. Granted, I don't do flex bronchs. IF you know how to post it on the thread, I am OK with that. There is no patient identifying information, no HIPAA concerns. I also have to wonder, with his OSA, just how much the posterior lesion might relate to continual negative intrathoracic pressure and almost certain reflux. I did start PPIs and H2 blockers, Mediterranean diet, alkaline water, all the usual stuff people don't adhere to.
Should have told me you were ENT. I was educating you on subglottic stenosis - LOL. BTW there are case reports of tracheomalacia due to prolonged intubation. Another consideration relapsing polychondritis. I've seen it very commonly in the elderly - "presbytrachea" similar to presbyesophagus. Certainly not this younger obese guy with DM, HTN, OSA -'murca.

All kidding aside - one needs to know the amount of dynamic exhalation collapse and symptoms to decide on stenting. First I'd fix the subglottic stenosis.

I just emailed you.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.