Consensus on staying at hotels

4,399 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BowSowy
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had a trip originally booked to stay at the hotel del down in Coronado back in March when everything started locking down. The hotel shutdown in March and we weren't able to make our trip. I rescheduled that trip to early June but they have since pushed out the reopening date to the end of June. I have now rebooked their stay for the first weekend they're reopening. I have no apprehension of heading down for the weekend but my wife is still a bit anxious even though I tell her well keep do not disturb hung and the room service out for the weekend. Curious as to other folks thoughts. Especially with it being the first weekend back open I'm sure everything will be completely clean and sanitized. My main concern is that everything might not be open to include the bar, restaurant, gym, pool, activities, etc
Matsui
AG
It's safe. Take wipes and clean. Surfaces again if wish

And common areas might not be open.
GAC06
AG
Normally you can rent a fire pit on the beach at sunset and they serve drinks. Pretty cool
cc_ag92
AG
I'm cautious. Staying in a hotel does not concern me. Participating in group activities concerns me, but if you can do things in smaller groups, then have fun! My thoughts would change if you are in a high-risk group. I might wait a little longer at that point.
Gizzards
AG
Contact the hotel and find out what will be open. Not sure the opinions of anyone here matter given the concern you posted is not actually about safety.
Jock 07
AG
I would, but they're not open yet. Those are my concerns, as I said my wife is the one who is hesitant on staying at a hotel period.
GAC06
AG
I have spent about 20 nights in hotels since March. Other than the occasional hassle of getting food and gyms being closed, I haven't worried about it. If it was me I'd base my decision on whether things are open. Hotel Del is awesome. I'd recommend one of the new rooms though.
Aggie95
AG
Hotels, especially Marriott have been pretty forthcoming about what their new cleaning procedures are. I feel comfortable going to a Marriott.
The same goes for airlines. These businesses will forced to put cleanliness as a top priority or they will lose customers. That is a silver lining of this whole thing.
Aust Ag
AG
Did a staycation last week and stayed at The Archer at the Domain last weekend. Pool closed, but gym was open by appt, which we used. Bar closed. Overall, no problems...very quite. They told me they were about 20% occupancy.

The way I looked at it was, if you assume hotels are always going to have issues (bed bugs, other viruses, etc), this is the BEST time to be in a hotel. Hardly anyone there, and everything was super-sanitized!
Aust Ag
AG
I should also add we've been wanting to stay there for a while, but it was cost-prohibitive for a damn staycation. But it was about 1/2 off normal rate , so we went for it. I highly recommend doing this for anyone looking for a reason to get out of the house, rates are low across the board.
aginlakeway
AG
I've stayed in several hotels the last 3 weeks.

Less food/service options. But otherwise no issues at all.

I stayed at a hotel in Dallas this past week, and the tv remote and other items were pre-packaged in a baggie.

I felt very safe staying there.
Forum Troll
AG
San Luis in Galveston packed this weekend (as was nearly everywhere else it seemed). There are some social distancing measures in place but nearly everyone is in DGAF mode.

The restaurants have measures in place but apparently everyone just wants to wait in a jam packed waiting area outside the restaurant with strangers for an extended period of time.

Staff playing it safe however. Masks for staff, limited people on elevators, hand sanitizer everywhere and even in elevators.

Beaches crowded but for the most part people keep to themselves.
jetch17
AG
Forum Troll said:

San Luis in Galveston packed this weekend (as was nearly everywhere else it seemed). There are some social distancing measures in place but nearly everyone is in DGAF mode.

The restaurants have measures in place but apparently everyone just wants to wait in a jam packed waiting area outside the restaurant with strangers for an extended period of time.

Staff playing it safe however. Masks for staff, limited people on elevators, hand sanitizer everywhere and even in elevators.

We're headed to San Luis in late June - is the pool area already bumpin? I figure the while areas and bar are already in full swing?
TefIon Don
AG
0.2% IFR. You're safe wherever you go.
Forum Troll
AG
jetch17 said:

Forum Troll said:

We're headed to San Luis in late June - is the pool area already bumpin? I figure the while areas and bar are already in full swing?

Pool definitely full yesterday afternoon. No ****s given that's for sure. Needless to say we didn't go to the pool. West end beaches were very nice, crowded but spaced out and people kept to themselves, water a whole lot clearer/blue green than I remember it being. Great weather.
Aust Ag
AG
water a whole lot clearer/blue green than I remember it being

I don't think I've ever seen that before , love to see a photo. How hot is it on the beach, bearable?
CW Griswold
Are you old or in bad health?

If no, get busy living.
terradactylexpress
Aust Ag said:

water a whole lot clearer/blue green than I remember it being

I don't think I've ever seen that before , love to see a photo. How hot is it on the beach, bearable?

It's been like that on and off the last few years, no idea what caused the change
Forum Troll
AG
Sorry no photo. Weather mid 80s and breezy. Like I said west end is really nice. Seawall beach area has water as brown as ever.
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Saw a couple of articles on this subject today. Both said to remove the comforter before you do anything else as hotels don't typically wash them after each guest.

How to disinfect a hotel room
Guppy
AG
I've averaged around 9 hotels per month over the last 3 months and 11-12 the months before that. All I have ever done is cleaned the remote and removed the comforter if it looks old / disgusting.
The Collective
AG
Cleanest hotels will ever be.
agsalaska
AG
I would think that the right answer is it depends on the hotel. Some of us don't care if we catch it. Some of us want to do everything we can not to catch it.

If you are in the latter category and still need to stay in a hotel the recent news from the CDC that it is not particularly contagious from contact surfaces is good news. I would think any motel style accomodation would be very low risk.

When it comes to me I am somewhat in the middle. I really don't want to catch it but I am not scared of it. I am headed out to Colorado in about week to get away for a few days with my wife and kids and we are staying in motels. The AC units are not connected to any other rooms, there are no hallways or other indoor places people may congregate. Hell you can pay at the window.

I would imagine that setups like that are about as safe as you can get and still travel. And they are cheaper.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Bondag
AG
Forum Troll said:

Limited people on elevators at San Luis. Are you still waiting? Those have to be slowest elevators I have ever been on and I don't think all 3 have ever worked at the same time.
Bondag
AG
Was supposed to be there this weekend for an event. Waiting to see when they reschedule.
Redstone
AG
We are Marriott Silver Elite rewards members, for nearly a decade - which includes a quick phone connection to customer service / reservation.

I wouldn't worry about it.
BowSowy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.