So do kids spread this thing or not

5,506 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TCTTS
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I believe in Harris County most day cares remained open throughout March and April. Didn't hear of any major or minor outbreak. All the spring breakers that were gonna spread it everywhere - was there any proof that this happened? The tu students from Cabo? Kids in our neighborhood have been at each other's houses, fishing together, riding in cars with each other. Has there been any reported incidents? Any reason scientifically they wouldn't or couldn't spread it? Ok for kids to do summer camps, athletics, etc? This is where a lot of my fears have been alleviated- not worried about kids getting it but was worried about them spreading it - yet that doesn't seem to be the case.
AggieSarah01
AG
This seriously needs to be looked into. If this is the case, we should not be requiring children to wear masks.
TxAg82
AG
The Australians sure don't think they are spreading it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/26/children-unlikely-to-transmit-coronavirus-says-study-cited-in-pms-push-to-reopen-schools
Keegan99
AG
Studies from Australia, as well as research from Iceland, indicates that children as at very, very low risk of transmitting the virus. Additionally, Sweden has kept schools open for students under age 16, and has not observed any associated outbreaks.
tylercsbn9
AG
AggieSarah01 said:

This seriously needs to be looked into. If this is the case, we should not be requiring children to wear masks.

And school needs to resume as normal with no extra feel good bull**** in the name of safety in August
DadHammer
AG
Keegan99 said:

Studies from Australia, as well as research from Iceland, indicates that children as at very, very low risk of transmitting the virus. Additionally, Sweden has kept schools open for students under age 16, and has not observed any associated outbreaks.

True.
Sq 17
eric76
AG
I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that there is a possibility that if you have a mild case, you may not be infectious.

It would be good to know this because it could make a difference on how schools open in the fall.

My own case was quite mild -- if I hadn't been reading this forum and had read about the sense of smell issues, I probably wouldn't have suspected that I had it since my one definite symptom was a disruption in my sense of smell for a few hours and so I would not have gone to get tested. As far as I know, nobody else got infected from me.
Demo_Slug
AG
eric76 said:

I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that there is a possibility that if you have a mild case, you may not be infectious.

It would be good to know this because it could make a difference on how schools open in the fall.

My own case was quite mild -- if I hadn't been reading this forum and had read about the sense of smell issues, I probably wouldn't have suspected that I had it since my one definite symptom was a disruption in my sense of smell for a few hours and so I would not have gone to get tested. As far as I know, nobody else got infected from me.

Interesting, and if coughing/sneezing is the main form of transmission, then Asymptotic carrier's are not that big of a problem.
KlinkerAg11
AG
I've wondered if in a couple weeks/months we will view asymptotic/ mild symptom folks like we do surface spread now.
Fitch
AG
eric76 said:

I seem to recall something similar, but I believe it was more in the vein of mild cases may possibly be less infectious, not "not infectious".
eric76
AG
Fitch said:

eric76 said:

I seem to recall something similar, but I believe it was more in the vein of mild cases may possibly be less infectious, not "not infectious".
That's a good point.

I wonder how many asymptomatic patients actually had minor symptoms, but didn't realize that those symptoms were possibly of covid-19.

In any event, early on many of the more serous covid-19 cases apparently come out of what appeared to be a mild initial symptoms. I read one article that, if I interpret it correctly, indicates that the cases to go on to become serious will generally have a higher viral load and will be more infectious than someone with a mild case that stays mild.

cone
AG
I don't understand how it's infectious as it is without asymptomatic spread

maybe it's just superspread but I doubt it
amercer
AG
I think 99% of asymptomatic spread is really just mild cases.

A year ago, if you had really mild cold symptoms for a day or two would you have thought anything of it? Would you have still gone to work and gone about your normal life? I don't think I've taken a sick day in ten years, despite getting the occasional cold.

Plus the mild symptoms from COVID seem to be all over the place meaning most people wouldn't make the association.
Matsui
AG
Tarrant county never shut down child care either
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Statewide the rule was that day cares could stay open but were to take ONLY the children of essential workers. When businesses started reopening, finding daycare was and issue because the reopened ones were not essential. The state has now said day care can take everyone, however the rules mean fewer kids because of social distancing.

Demo_Slug
AG
In regards to asymptotic spread... I get sneezes and sniffles from allergies most of the spring. And I wouldn't consider my allergies as a symptom. But the combo would make it spread.
FrioAg 00
AG
I think time will prove that no one who is asymptotic can spread it, including kids. It spreads within the symptoms (snot and particles).

I got Covid asymptomatically, proven with the serology tests. No one else in my life got symptoms - so they either ALL got it asymptomatically or I wasn't able to spread it to them.

I'm going to be honest with you- I'm not super hygienic. I drink from the jug when no one is looking. I don't wash my hands a ton. Sorry, but I just don't. I also didn't do much of a quarantine from the start and rarely wear a mask or anything.

I'm not buying the idea that it spreads other than direct contact with people while sick.
terradactylexpress
I tend to agree, I think they are going to find that you have symptoms before it spreads but because the symptoms are all over the place and people typically wait until they feel like death before they stay home sick you have people thinking they have allergies/hangover/etc inadvertently spreading the virus.
gunan01
AG
This Twitter thread from a pediatric infectious disease doc in the UK is probably the best summary of how COVID-19 affects children and discusses their risk of transmission. Worth reading all 21 tweets in the thread. As others on this thread have said, the risk of transmission by children to each other and to adults is very low.

eric76
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I think time will prove that no one who is asymptotic can spread it, including kids. It spreads within the symptoms (snot and particles).

I got Covid asymptomatically, proven with the serology tests. No one else in my life got symptoms - so they either ALL got it asymptomatically or I wasn't able to spread it to them.

I'm going to be honest with you- I'm not super hygienic. I drink from the jug when no one is looking. I don't wash my hands a ton. Sorry, but I just don't. I also didn't do much of a quarantine from the start and rarely wear a mask or anything.

I'm not buying the idea that it spreads other than direct contact with people while sick.
I'm curious how much we spread in the air if it hasn't infected our lungs. If you have it in your sputum, it wouldn't surprise me if you do shed some while talking, but it might not be in large amounts.
Keegan99
AG
Outstanding information. Thank you!
lazuras_dc
AG
gunan01 said:

This Twitter thread from a pediatric infectious disease doc in the UK is probably the best summary of how COVID-19 affects children and discusses their risk of transmission. Worth reading all 21 tweets in the thread. As others on this thread have said, the risk of transmission by children to each other and to adults is very low.

Good stuff
jenn96
AG
cone said:

I don't understand how it's infectious as it is without asymptomatic spread

maybe it's just superspread but I doubt it

I feel like there's a lot of reporting confusion over asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic. You're very contagious the the few days after you're infected but before your symptoms show up. But if you develop symptoms you're not asymptomatic over the entire course of the disease. I suspect a lot of people with really mild cases are being mixed up anecdotally with the truly asymptomatic.
AggieSarah01
AG
ttt...you would think much more would be known about this by now??

If we can be almost certain that kids really don't transmit it, then we can really move forward with normal school for kids this fall...which clearly is so much better for them. Not to mention not making them wear masks everywhere they go.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Just an fyi...teachers are doing a ton of training this summer. One of the sessions I had yesterday (online of course) showed a proposed (yes, not official yet) PBIS set of expectations for next year. It included wearing masks at all times and respecting personal distances. So we will see what TEA eventually requires for public schools.
AggieSarah01
AG
Masks are a big no for me, especially elementary age. Glad my kids are in a good private school.
oh no
AG
my kids are all back to their regularly scheduled activities

oldest son - doing some agility and strength & conditioning training camp for six weeks + has four soccer trainings per week with full contact and opposed drills - games scheduled starting next week

middle daughter - back in the gym for gymnastics 16 hrs / week - team touching all the apparatuses - bars, beam, vault, etc. She's also in a cooking camp with a dozen other kids.

youngest son - doing an art camp, taking tennis lessons, taking a parkour class weekly

been a few weeks. none of them are wearing masks at any of these activities. they are required to fill out a daily survey/questionnaire at some things like soccer and gym. cooking camp takes the kids' temperatures when they arrive. that's about it.

It would be disappointing if, two months from now when school is ready to start back up, they have to start wearing masks and also if my oldest isn't allowed to start football at the school even though he's already been playing soccer for two months.
AggieSarah01
AG
Anyone have any new research on this? I know a lot of schools are back in session in other countries. Anyone know which countries require kids in masks and which ones don't, and what levels of spreading are happening?
DTP02
AG
Not an answer to your question, but relevant anyway, is the recommendation from the biggest pediatric group in Canada:

https://www.sickkids.ca/PDFs/About-SickKids/81407-COVID19-Recommendations-for-School-Reopening-SickKids.pdf

They are being much more pragmatic than I fear most of the US, including TX, is going to be. Our risk aversion is going to lead to some bad policy decisions re school reopenings IMO.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/882316641/what-parents-can-learn-from-child-care-centers-that-stayed-open-during-lockdowns
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.