Remdesivir DBRPCT....

1,874 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fitch
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2007764?query=featured_home

Sorry about the triple post

DBRPCT trial of remdesivir vs placebo in COVID-19. 1063 pts.

"Remdesivir was superior to placebo in shortening the time to recovery in adults hospitalized with Covid-19 and evidence of lower respiratory tract infection."
OldArmy71
AG
It's 1063 patients.

Is this the study we heard about that was stopped because remdesivir was so much better?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Not sure. But finally a well done study. Looks like remdesivir if effective given at admission.
Not a Bot
AG
Love the breakdown by oxygenation need. Very well put together study.

Looks like the people who benefit the absolute most are the people requiring supplementary oxygen but who are not ventilated. It looks like ventilator patients actually do slightly worse than the placebo. People need to be on this early and there should NOT be an ICU status requirement to receive it. Absolutely looks like the earlier it is given, the better.

The problem of course is that because the drug is still not completely available everywhere a lot of doctors and hospitals are going to hold this for the most severe cases, which this data suggests is the absolute worst thing to do.
Infection_Ag11
AG
The breakdown by oxygen requirements is awesome
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Fitch
AG
If I remember correctly this was mentioned in an Oval Office "couch conference" as exhibiting positive data pointing towards shortened morbidity.
amercer
AG
I believe this is the study that the NIH had a press conference about last week. Not a miracle cure, but effective and probably more so in early stages. If you are having a cytokine storm, stopping viral replication doesn't do you much good.

The problem now is there isn't nearly enough to treat severe cases, much less mild ones.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Tocilizumab is effective for storm. Numerous anecdotal success with it. And several studies showing its success. Our pharmacy now has remdisivir and tocilizumab in stock.
KlinkerAg11
AG
How are you holding up hospital capacity wise?
Marcus Aurelius
AG
COVID19 unit full. Been constant.
KlinkerAg11
AG
Is it still nursing home outbreaks?
amercer
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Tocilizumab is effective for storm. Numerous anecdotal success with it. And several studies showing its success. Our pharmacy now has remdisivir and tocilizumab in stock.

Right. My point was that pretty much all antivirals are most effective early.

I'm actually pretty hopeful that immunomodulation is going to save a lot of lives. We know a bunch about how to tweak the system now. There was an interesting report today about using IL7 to boost the T cell response.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
We are holding steady. Same volume. Vast majority SNF pts.
Fitch
AG
You've been posting here the whole duration of this. #1 thank you. #2 hope you're taking care of yourself. I can't imagine the marathon has been easy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.