Length of exposure

1,526 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by billydean05
BBQ4Me
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Apple-Google contact tracing API is for 15mins of exposure to someone who has tested positive. My question for the physicians on this board: Why the magical number of 15mins?

Does this mean that briefly (eg, 1 min) coming in contact (less than 6ft) within a person does not mean there's enough virus to be transmitted for a infection to occur?
cone
AG
it's all probability

if someone sneezes in your face that one second might be all you need to get the bug
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
I live my life in the 1 sigma band. Not the 3 sigma one
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

it's all probability

if someone sneezes in your face that one second might be all you need to get the bug

It could be from the sneeze or the subsequent 5 minute beating you dish out to the random sneezer.
fig96
AG
I haven't seen 15 minutes as the magic number, but I've seen a number of articles talking about how passing exposure (grocery store, someone on the sidewalk, etc.) is a far lower risk that being with someone in a contained space for period of time.

As mentioned if an infected person sneezes on you you're probably in trouble, but it sounds like the much bigger risk is extended visits in someone's home, being in an office or restaurant for a period of time, etc.
cone
AG
proximity
duration
ventilation
vocalization
FlyRod
All combining to make classrooms the perfect Petri dishes sadly.
Aggie95
AG
FlyRod said:

All combining to make classrooms the perfect Petri dishes sadly.
not anymore than before. we can do a better job of checking temps (making sure sick kids don't come to school). that plus, other measures should allow schools to open. COVID won't just make itself in the classroom. If we bring zero COVID in...zero COVID will leave.
billydean05
Or like other diseases some people will catch it. Most will show no or very mild symptoms. Very very few will need to be hospitalized and probably/hopefully 0 students at the big school and very few throughout the US will die as deaths in this age group is the tiniest fraction of cases.
FlyRod
Was thinking about their teachers...but I confess I don't know what the median age is.

And unfortunately temp checks won't pick up the asymptomatic. Hopefully an easy and painless saliva test for that will be developed.
billydean05
Should be easy for profs to wear a mask and socially distance. Office hours by ZOOM apt or conference calls and email.
FlyRod
Not really. Non N95 masks as you undoubtedly know only offer some protection FROM virus particles, and air circulation in enclosed spaces as students come and go is almost certainly an issue of concern.
billydean05
We could also have a recommendation to turn off all air and fans
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.