Pulmonary microthombosis and angiopathy in COVID-19 patients...

1,668 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by plain_o_llama
Marcus Aurelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2015432?query=featured_home

Small autopsy study comparing COVID-19 to H1N1 and control patients. COVID-19 patients distinguished by widespread pulmonary angiopathy and small vessel thrombosis. Even more compelling evidence to anticoagulate all hospitalized patients or at least ICU patients.
RVAg02
AG
Yup. That's what a client of mine who is a doctor at Houston Methodist said a couple weeks ago. They had an all hands on deck meeting and were pushing their chips in on the anticoagulants.
Reveille
AG
I truly believe this a disease of oxidative stress acting the endothelium. Once the endothelium is damaged by increasing oxidative stress it releases Von Willebrands factor and factor VIII from the endothelium. One study showed both VWF and VIII to be over 500% higher in ICU COVID-19 patients. Once these factors are released massive clotting begins. I agree that anti-coagulation is likely going to be a mainstay treatment. I don't know if you can get a vWF level in your hospital but I think in the study elevated levels of vWF were also predictive of outcomes. I can probably find the study if you want it Marcus.

Another interesting point is Type O blood which had a lower rates of infection in China have a lower vWF than other blood types. Also African Americans have higher levels of vWF than Caucasians so this along with African Americans being poor absorbers of Vitamin D could be a reason for the higher rate of African American patients in the hospital.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiebrad94
AG
Would anti-inflammatory supplements (tumeric, curcumin, etc) be wise to take, then?
Reveille
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Would anti-inflammatory supplements (tumeric, curcumin, etc) be wise to take, then?

I am using NAC and CoQ10 to decrease oxidative stress. However, there is data on Turmeric decreasing oxidative stress in the body so it will likely be beneficial also. It's just been a while since I have reviewed those studies.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
plain_o_llama
It seems interesting they were comparing Covid 19 lungs to Influenza induced ARDS lungs and observed some differences......

Our finding of enhanced intussusceptive angiogenesis in the lungs from patients with Covid-19 as compared with the lungs from patients with influenza was unexpected.

Although tissue hypoxia was probably a common feature in the lungs from both these groups of patients, we speculate that the greater degree of endothelialitis and thrombosis in the lungs from patients with Covid-19 may contribute to the relative frequency of sprouting and intussusceptive angiogenesis observed in these patients. The relationship of these findings to the clinical course of Covid-19 requires further research to elucidate.

There has been discussion whether severe Covid 19 differed from "normal" ARDS.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.