More Suicides than COVID fatalities at hospital in San Francisco suburb

3,377 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Fitch
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://abc7news.com/suicide-covid-19-coronavirus-rates-during-pandemic-death-by/6201962/

Walnut Creek is across the bay from San Francisco, just on the other side of Mount Diablo.

It is a reasonably wealthy area, with incomes about 50% greater than the US average.

Quote:

WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus.

The head of the trauma in the department believes mental health is suffering so much, it is time to end the shelter-in-place order.

"Personally I think it's time," said Dr. Mike deBoisblanc. "I think, originally, this (the shelter-in-place order) was put in place to flatten the curve and to make sure hospitals have the resources to take care of COVID patients.We have the current resources to do that and our other community health is suffering."

The numbers are unprecedented, he said.

"We've never seen numbers like this, in such a short period of time," he said. "I mean we've seen a year's worth of suicide attempts in the last four weeks."

Kacey Hansen has worked as a trauma nurse at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek for almost 33 years. She is worried because not only are they seeing more suicide attempts, she says they are not able to save as many patients as usual.

"What I have seen recently, I have never seen before," Hansen said. "I have never seen so much intentional injury."
GAC06
AG
Safer at home
Trucker 96
The reports on the increases in volumes of calls to suicide hotlines have been astounding.
GAC06
AG
I've seen stories about increases in overdoses as well. The economic damage isn't going anywhere, either.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Nevermind... with that many edits required maybe it just wanted meant to be posted.
swintie
AG
I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about this. Four comments in two days?

I don't know whether this particular hospital is "hit hard" relative to the rest of the country, but this is an extremely concerning issue if any of this is extrapolated across the entire U.S.

I think many of us have been broadly "worried about" increase in suicides, but (at least for me) it was a bit of a hand-wring in that there was no data to support my worry.

I would be interested in knowing what the demographics are of the increase suicide attempts. Are these (in general) teenagers? People who have lost their jobs? Are these fathers who have left wives and children?

This whole thing is very sad, and I am trying my best not to get into a political argument over the shutdown. I will say, though, that I was worried early on that the treatment would be more devastating than the disease. Things like this only serve to reinforce that original belief.
GAC06
AG
On one hand you have the tragic virus deaths overwhelmingly suffered by people near the end of their lives already.

On the other hand is the destruction of lives, families, and livelihoods across all ages and demographics, and that damage will last longer than it takes to get a vaccine.

I know what worries me more.
VegasAg98
AG
I'm very concerned about what the lockdown has done to worsen or exacerbate mental health illnesses. This data just doesn't surprise me, sadly.
Pumpkinhead
AG
One size does not fit all. Shelter In Place makes sense where there is a major outbreak. However, In places where there is no significant strain on the healthcare systems, having such restrictions out of precaution for a short time may be fine, but obviously is going to pretty quickly get heavily criticized (and become a political thorn) as the economic losses grow.
Gordo14
Again, you really shouldn't look at it through that lens. What matters and mattered was the projection of COVID-19 if you did nothing. Because that was what the shutdown was meant to stop.

They are digging mass graves in Sao Paulo, Brazil. That isn't for suicide victims.
beerad12man
AG
This disease sucks and is sad. No one is denying that. But....

Just over 1,359,000+ people died in Brazil last year. Over 114k per month so far this year. Or about 573k total through May. They have lost 22k lives to covid 19.

I think saying they are digging mass graves is a bit sensationalist headlines.
fig96
AG
beerad12man said:

Just over 1,359,000+ people died in Brazil last year. Over 114k per month so far this year. Or about 573k total through May. They have lost 22k lives to covid 19.

Lots of people are denying that unfortunately.

And while digging mass graves is a bit sensationalized, Brazil is in serious trouble on their current trajectory combined with a government that's refusing to take any action at this point.
Joe Exotic
AG
We aren't and would never be Brazil.
Fitch
AG
beerad12man said:

I mean...seems pretty well to be the case.

The number pretty surely isn't 22k. The medical infrastructure in second and third world countries can't be expected to keep up.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.