CDC: Risk of catching the Wuhan flu from surfaces not as high as previously thought

6,184 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KidDoc
ramblin_ag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not even talking about an increase in sick visits from kids, and we rarely admit children anyway. We do see that, but we also see an increase in visits from people of all ages. Sometimes school starts and we end up admitting a bunch of people that don't even live with kids.

Kids are little disease vectors. They don't cover coughs, wash hands, wipe well, or clean their faces. They spread germs to their friends at school, who spread to their families, who spread it at work and everyone spreads all this stuff around public places.

Now if it turns out asymptomatic kids don't spread COVID easily then it's an obvious answer to reopen schools. Totally agree that the risk to kids in general seems to be almost nil
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SkiMo
AG
I also forgot to mention that many of these teachers have husbands and wives. I am the husband of a 3rd grade teacher. I'm 40 with high blood pressure and asthma. So of course I'm concerned. It may seem like it's not a big deal but if kids can pass it around then it's going to spread to their teachers and beyond...and quickly. I'm hoping that's not the case though.
murphyag
AG
NASAg03 said:

SkiMo said:

It's like everyone skips past the fact that there are teachers at school who aren't children.
How many 60+ year old teachers do you know? The few at-risk teachers can teach proxy through a younger teacher's aid, and via a video screen with the students in the room.

Same with college professors. They rarely teach directly anyway. It's usually TA's doing the work and directly interacting with students.

This is a problem that doesn't really exist, but people make it out to be way worse than it is. And the small issues are easily solved with a little bit of creativity, technology, and understanding how kids learn and what really goes on in school.

Not disagreeing about wanting schools to open up. But, how will public schools get the additional funds to hire teacher's aides for all of the older or at-risk teachers? Seems kind of like a fantasy land solution. At elementary schools, there are usually just a few teacher aides and they generally are there to help with special populations, such as special ed, bilingual, ESL, 504, etc.
Observer
AG
I agree that older teachers or those with family memebers who are in the vulnerable category can teach via teleconference with the aid of a teaching assistant in the classroom. This method allows student to get most of the needed instruction while reducing risks to those who are vulnerable.

The fact is many students, particularly younger ones, are not able to study by themselves. Otherwise, we would not need teachers. Grade schoolers already lost a semester that they could never get back. These kids can't go another year without classroom instruction.

Statistic has shown that the overwhelming majority of people under 65 and in relatively decent health are not at serious risk due to COVID-19. We need a better approach to protect those who are 65+; however, shutting down the rest of the population is not the right answer. Testing and PPE resources perhaps should be prioritized for the older generation and those who are in contact/ care for them, not the 20+, 30+ year olds.

The problem we have now is the health/scientific leadership/community seem to treat all of those who expose to COVID-19 as equal. 1,000,000 currently with COVID-19 would have little cause of concern if significant percentage of that come from low risk segment of the population.
beerad12man
AG
SkiMo said:

It's like everyone skips past the fact that there are teachers at school who aren't children.
Not everyone is trying to prevent every case.

We're trying to prevent major flare ups that overwhelm hospitals. As shown around the world, this doesn't appear to be happening in schools.
Observer
AG
murphyag said:

NASAg03 said:

SkiMo said:

How many 60+ year old teachers do you know? The few at-risk teachers can teach proxy through a younger teacher's aid, and via a video screen with the students in the room.

Same with college professors. They rarely teach directly anyway. It's usually TA's doing the work and directly interacting with students.

This is a problem that doesn't really exist, but people make it out to be way worse than it is. And the small issues are easily solved with a little bit of creativity, technology, and understanding how kids learn and what really goes on in school.

Not disagreeing about wanting schools to open up. But, how will public schools get the additional funds to hire teacher's aides for all of the older or at-risk teachers? Seems kind of like a fantasy land solution. At elementary schools, there are usually just a few teacher aides and they generally are there to help with special populations, such as special ed, bilingual, ESL, 504, etc.

Instead of spending $75 millions to for New York art center, that $75 MM can hire lot of student aids across the nation. I am sure they can find enough money in the $3 trillions proposed spending to hire teacher aids.
TXAggie2011
AG
beerad12man said:

SkiMo said:

We're trying to prevent major flare ups that overwhelm hospitals. As shown around the world, this doesn't appear to be happening in schools.
The study referenced towards the end of the first page found school policy had a major correlation with peak incidence of the virus.

There are further steps to be taken to track that effect to hospitalizations, etc. but the point is there's still a lot of work to be done on determining how school policy effects things.
Observer
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

beerad12man said:

SkiMo said:

The study referenced towards the end of the first page found school policy had a major correlation with peak incidence of the virus.

There are further steps to be taken to track that effect to hospitalizations, etc. but the point is there's still a lot of work to be done on determining how school policy effects things.
A major flaw of that study - school closure coincides with stay at home order. You can't derive from that study whether closure school is the major contributor to start of decline of the virus cases. If they do the same study, but using shortage of toilet paper instead of school closure, they are likely to find the same conclusion.
TXAggie2011
AG
Observer said:

TXAggie2011 said:

beerad12man said:

SkiMo said:

A major flaw of that study - school closure coincides with stay at home order. You can't derive from that study whether closure school is the major contributor to start of decline of the virus cases. If they do the same study, but using shortage of toilet paper instead of school closure, they are likely to find the same conclusion.
That's not really what they found or how their model worked, so I'm not sure I'd agree with that.
FTAG 2000
AG
KidDoc said:

I agreed with closing schools at the beginning but as the collective fund of knowledge has grown this is harmless for the overwhelming majority of children. This is very odd for respiratory viruses but seems to be holding true.

Schools need to reopen now that widespread testing is available. Spacing would be nice but hopeless in kids younger than 10 or so. When a child gets sick they need to not be sent to school and tested. There still will be an uptick in cases but I think the hospital and clinics are ready (at least in Texas).

Once/if a vaccine is out I think kids will be the last to get it, if ever. I would not be surprised to see the initial FDA approval for 18+ or even 40+ unless they have a condition that increases risk.

Heck I just had a report from a 2 year old Hemophilia patient with a bacterial line infection and COVID at the same time. No respiratory symptoms at all.

Promising news.

But what about the parents? Did the kid transmit?
KidDoc
AG
AG 2000' said:

KidDoc said:

I agreed with closing schools at the beginning but as the collective fund of knowledge has grown this is harmless for the overwhelming majority of children. This is very odd for respiratory viruses but seems to be holding true.

Schools need to reopen now that widespread testing is available. Spacing would be nice but hopeless in kids younger than 10 or so. When a child gets sick they need to not be sent to school and tested. There still will be an uptick in cases but I think the hospital and clinics are ready (at least in Texas).

Once/if a vaccine is out I think kids will be the last to get it, if ever. I would not be surprised to see the initial FDA approval for 18+ or even 40+ unless they have a condition that increases risk.

Heck I just had a report from a 2 year old Hemophilia patient with a bacterial line infection and COVID at the same time. No respiratory symptoms at all.

Promising news.

But what about the parents? Did the kid transmit?
Not sure and a good question- he has not come in for f/u.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.