Gyms Opening What are you doing?

4,100 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Crocs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gold's opened on Monday, and it sounds like they're doing all they can to sanitize (closing from 1-2pm daily to clean everything, only allowing 25% capacity, putting markers on the ground to encourage social distancing). Are you guys going to go back to the gym? And if so, what precautions are you taking?
GAC06
AG
My gym opens Friday. Personally I'm not planning on doing anything differently. I already wiped down equipment after use when practical.
Harkrider 93
AG
I started Monday. About 45% normal crowd. Tuesday a bit less.

No masks on Monday and one old person. 3 masks on Tuesday. No gloves.

I spray everything before use and use the hand sanitizer. I spray after use (including dumbbells) and use hand sanitizer again. I do this because the gym posted signs asking to do this. I also don't want to get into a fight with someone else over something so dumb.

When I got out of the vehicle to walk into the gym on Monday, I was in really good mood. I was so excited to be there!
Tom Cardy
AG
My climbing gym is opening today, by appointment only. Limited time slots and people per slot. Required masks when not climbing, social distancing, and providing a ton of hand wash/sanitize stations.

I'm excited to get back this evening. I think people will take it seriously and it should be pretty safe as long as nobody touches their face
Capitol Ag
AG
We opened Monday. We are 24/7 access and staffed 10-7pm. So a lot of time we aren't here. The glove rule makes members mad (not at us, just the absolute uselessness of it-it makes nothing sterile as you'd need to constantly replace them and no one will do that. It only impedes training if anything and most use old batting gloves, receiving gloves and the lime and you know they don't wash them. They just throw them in their gym bags and reuse the next day. Every medical professional that trains here says it's a dumb rule and that just cleaning with wipes and spray after use is good enough). But they are just happy to be back over all. Everyone (member wise) cleans and is respectful to others etc. On the social distancing, we do not stand there making them stay 6 feet apart. It's not possible people spot others and it's not spreading anything anyway. But that's not a big deal really as it is really 2 college athletes and a couple of others I have spotted and I'm the one on the immunosuppressant so I'm ok with the risk. We walk through and clean every 2 hours but no shut downs. Again, the virus actually makes it in here, it'll spread regardless. If youve ever trained at any kind of high level, you breath heavy and push air out about as much as a sneeze. We've had a couple of guys who lift try a mask and both took it off after 5 min made them light headed and they couldn't get air. Moral to this is, if you are a member of the vulnerable population and don't want to take the risk, avoid the gym.
There are those that have stayed away as they aren't comfortable. And given the fact most aren't working their 8-6 schedule it's actually dead here btw 5pm and 7pm, which normally is the most crowded times as they can come in now whenever. Never once have we hit our 23 person capacity. Usually didn't even before Covid.
culdeus
AG
I got enough home gym stuff early, that I really don't even feel the need to go back at this point. It's in the garage so when it gets hot as balls I might change my tune.
Post removed:
by user
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Our local rec center will be opening up June 1st. They will let you book a lane in the lap pool for 60 min and do not allow more than one person per lane. Wouldn't mind if these regulations stick around.
BrokeAssAggie
I've been getting beefed up since Monday!
Herman99
AG
My gym is a Group HITT class setup that honestly is in a small space, to begin with...I think I'm going to wait it out a month and continue my at-home workout until I see if they are able to sustain their measures and no one gets sick.

Plus I am saving a ton of money each month as well which is honestly making me think I might make the at-home workout a permanent choice even though I miss the friends I have made.
TxAgLaw03RW
AG
Lifetime Dallas opened Monday to a pretty good crowd. No gloves, no masks, but most people were wiping things down. The glove rule was obviously put in place by someone who does not go to a gym, as it makes absolutely no sense and, fortunately, most do not appear interested in trying to enforce the rule.

You should get back to it and get back to your life.
ETFan
Home gym has stayed open.

If I had a membership I wouldn't visit yet. Everyone else can join the experiment.
samurai_science
Crocs said:

Gold's opened on Monday, and it sounds like they're doing all they can to sanitize (closing from 1-2pm daily to clean everything, only allowing 25% capacity, putting markers on the ground to encourage social distancing). Are you guys going to go back to the gym? And if so, what precautions are you taking?
I have not taken precautions for the last 3-4 weeks why would I start now? Data shows its less deadly than the flu for my age group.
Post removed:
by user
HotardAg07
AG
daggertx said:

Crocs said:

I have not taken precautions for the last 3-4 weeks why would I start now? Data shows its less deadly than the flu for my age group.
The data actually doesn't show that. The mortality rate for flu is age-dependent just like COVID, i.e. the mortality rate is much lower for younger people. Age-for-age COVID is more deadly. The COVID death rate for your age MAY be lower than the death rate for flu across all peoples, however that is not what you said.

I understand the larger point that the virus is not very deadly for young people, but let's not make up facts to justify it.
BrokeAssAggie
Maybe I've never noticed this on others, but what's the diamond for next to your user name?
HotardAg07
AG
It means I've been certified as an actual crazy rich Aggie.
HotardAg07
AG
Just kidding, means I bought something from the sponsor Fifth C Fine Jewelry. Like 10 years ago, don't know if they do that anymore.
BrokeAssAggie
Ooooh, nice.
Aggie Pharmer
AG
Going back to OTF Friday morning. First time I'll take a class since mid-March. I'm scared I'm going to be sore all weekend long.
Aggies2009
AG
Aggie Pharmer said:

Going back to OTF Friday morning. First time I'll take a class since mid-March. I'm scared I'm going to be sore all weekend long.

Great feeling, that is.

I'm just back to lifting 4-5x a week with each major muscle group, and cardio 2x.
Keller6Ag91
AG
Crocs said:

None. I'm going to the gym and working out
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
Capitol Ag
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

This should make people even less worried about the gym.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/cdc-now-says-coronavirus-does-not-spread-easily-via-contaminated-surfaces

And as more studies come in, I have a feeling that they will show it's even less transmittable than they think now. Which is why I'd like to see us not wipe down the dumbells and especially the barbells as it oxidizes the metal potentially ruining the equipment. I've seen it on our equipment as I was wiping them in March into April. Saw oxidation so stopped. One should only use 3-In-1 oil on those as it protects the metal and cleans it off really well. Pads and other things? spray away liberally and wipe them down, but I try to discourage the use of wipes and sprays on the metal equipment. I come out and wipe things down with my towels with 3-in-one on them and I honestly think it's fine. Still believe the use of chalk kills any virus immediately as it drys it out. Which is why more gyms SHOULD allow chalk. Just train your employees how to actually clean it off and it's fine.
Aggie Spirit
AG
Third day in a row at the gym. Still hoping the rest of you stay home.
Sumatriptan
how does the 24 hour thing work they rush you out at an hour? sounds like a pail Ill just wait.
baseball_ag
AG
If I wasn't going to see my in-laws this weekend, I would have been there Monday morning. Same as always.
ReloadAg
AG
I went to the gym Monday night and it wasn't very crowded but it never has been since it's a 24 hr access place. I bought batting gloves that I wore but won't wear them again. Serves no purpose and it's too hard to change songs on the phone. One guy was in there wearing a mask and surgical gloves though which is weird. That'd be pretty gross after about 2 min of working out.

I'm not worried about working out there but I haven't worried much about the virus this whole time either. Unless you're old or fat it's much adoo about nothing.
Capitol Ag
AG
Fun fact: Planet Fitness reopened Monday but no one realized that they had actually shut down in the first place.
Barnyard96
AG
Been hitting Fitness Connection daily since Monday. Its a big place so they can spread out. They simply put signs on every other machine and bench.

Check your forehead temp on arival.
Have to wear full gloves. No mask
wipe down equipment

I'd say it was 30-40% crowds. Kids club and Group X closed so that is holding people back.

Which way to the beach?
Fannie Luddite
AG
I went to my small gym and there were only four other people there. Wore cheap synthetic gloves and brought my own mat for stretching. There are signs everywhere and the water fountain is only for refilling your own bottle. I'm very sore and am out of lifting shape.
aglaohfour
AG
I haven't gone in yet, but I heard it's fairly deserted and they spread everything out (Lifetime). My trainer isn't going back to work there, so I'm going to buy a squat rack and bench and keep training with her at home. On the fence about keeping the membership just to swim laps. I'd still come out ahead because she's charging me a little more than half of what they were for training, but it kind of seems like a waste for just the pool.
Al Bula
AG
I canceled my membership to 24 Hour.

Bought some adjustable dumbbells and a bench with some amazon gift cards.

I'm about to have kid numero dos so it's not like I'd be able to do my regular routine with a newborn and toddler.

Use the garage and a box fan to keep it cool. I can see it getting worse when the true Texas heat hits but will figure it out.
Capitol Ag
AG
So after checking out other gyms, especially more independent gyms, not the big box corporate owned types, a lot of their messaging centers around giving suggestions rather than enforcing any of the directives from the state. Many of them literally say "we suggest you wear gloves and a mask if that makes you feel more comfortable and ask that you be diligent in wiping down equipment after use." Which is fine with me honestly. I seriously doubt the state follows up on much of this stuff anyway.
Some actually have requirements to sign a waiver before training at their gym. Not sure how much weight those would hold legally but from a small business perspective, I could see the owners doing it for piece of mind and maybe to discourage those "sue happy" types from coming in. Again, wouldn't have a problem with that and would sign it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.