Mask effectiveness? (P95)

3,172 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TChaney
Wrighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to fly for work. Is there any consensus about effectiveness of face masks to resist the virus? I have a P95 mask available to me.
rkramer
AG
A P95 mask will protect you as well as an N95 mask. The difference is that the P95 will also protect you against oil-based particles.
Capitol Ag
AG
N95 mask reminds me of those Budweiser ads Real Men of Genius, Mr SPF 80 sun screen wearer. You're protected from our sun and any other sun in the entire galaxy (or something to that effect)
panamamyers00
Except the n95 mask is the first level that protects you against any of it.
Aggie95
AG
know of a dr that is starting a new position and was required to get a TB test before starting at the new hospital(normal). She had her N95 mask on but they made her put another mask over it because..."the N95 mask will protect you but not us". That seems odd to me.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Capitol Ag said:

N95 mask reminds me of those Budweiser ads Real Men of Genius, Mr SPF 80 sun screen wearer. You're protected from our sun and any other sun in the entire galaxy (or something to that effect)
Fun fact: the guy that did the Real Men of Genius ads (the singer) was the frontman from Survivor -- the group that sang Eye of the Tiger.
coolerguy12
AG
Wrighty said:

I need to fly for work. Is there any consensus about effectiveness of face masks to resist the virus? I have a P95 mask available to me.

How old are you and how is your health? Need to know these before we know how effective your mask will be.
El Hombre Mas Guapo
AG
coolerguy12 said:

Wrighty said:

How old are you and how is your health? Need to know these before we know how effective your mask will be.
oneeyedag
Risk and Safety guy here who also does both quantitative and qualitative fit testing. Since this **** started I have probably qualitative fit tested 100 plus EMS, Fire and LEOs. Of those, I have failed probably 20 that I required medical clearance to continue. Others, failed due to facial hair.

The mask you are touting is effective for you, but since it has a valve for easier exhalation, others not so much. The 3M P95 8271 (assuming that's what your wearing) was designed for Miners, Silica workers oil/non oil or those that work around lots of dust or particulates.

Is it effective yes, will it fit your needs absolutely and personally more comfy than the medical grade N95 or p100 that I would normally wear.
oneeyedag
was it her personal n95 or had she been fit tested and the mask assigned? Also, its a every 2 year process. If it was her personal, that would be standard medical facility practice or protocol.
Snap E Tom
Aggie95 said:

know of a dr that is starting a new position and was required to get a TB test before starting at the new hospital(normal). She had her N95 mask on but they made her put another mask over it because..."the N95 mask will protect you but not us". That seems odd to me.
That's because it's true. No mask will both protect the user and others at the same time. N95 respirators are designed for the user. The exhale valves completely open when the wearer exhales, letting everything out.

Which makes all this "if you're not wearing a mask you're being selfish" screaming hilarious. No one's gong to stop me going anywhere if I wear a respirator, and I'll be seen as "doing my part" and "moving the needle" blah blah blah. 99% of these virtue signalers don't know the difference between a surgical mask and a respirator. I'm not being helpful at all if I wear a respirator, and in fact, I'm technically being selfish.
dr_boogs
AG
Don't mean to derail but have a quick question. What type of mask is appropriate to prevent inhalation of herbicides during application? One is mixed in water. The other is mixed in diesel fuel. We spray mesquite with a 200 gal PTO driven sprayer. I'd like to make sure we are wearing effective PPE. My dad has a Honeywell 4500-30M but boy is it hot. Thanks for your advice.
AgResearch
AG
dr_boogs said:

Don't mean to derail but have a quick question. What type of mask is appropriate to prevent inhalation of herbicides during application? One is mixed in water. The other is mixed in diesel fuel. We spray mesquite with a 200 gal PTO driven sprayer. I'd like to make sure we are wearing effective PPE. My dad has a Honeywell 4500-30M but boy is it hot. Thanks for your advice.
You need a cartridge for that respirator that provides protection for solid and oil based particles (P100) and organic vapors (OV). Honestly, you should be wearing that full-face respirator as it also protects your eyes. Yes, they are hot as hell to wear but give the best protection with a proper fit test. Paper face masks do not provide the protection you need against the herbicide active ingredients.

This one covers that and is reasonably priced and should fit your mask: https://gemplers.com/collections/safety-personal-protective-clothing-equipment-respiratory-protection/products/north-multi-gas-p100-respirator-cartridge

Cartridge number is: 75SCP100L if you want to check other suppliers as they are backordered on Gemplers. Cartridge number 7581P100 also provides P100/OV protection. The other gases listed for 75SCP100L are not important for your use.

I use 3M products so with their full-face respirator the cartridge is #60921.

Agronomist/Weed Scientist, Ph.D.
oneeyedag
Preferably a P100 or N100 (not recommenbed for oil based particulates), if you can find them.

I would recommend the P100 like poster abov. Just ensure a good seal and pay close attention to SDS recommended threshold limit value if you can't ensure a good seal.
88planoAg
AG
oneeyedag said:

Risk and Safety guy here who also does both quantitative and qualitative fit testing. Since this **** started I have probably qualitative fit tested 100 plus EMS, Fire and LEOs. Of those, I have failed probably 20 that I required medical clearance to continue. Others, failed due to facial hair.

The mask you are touting is effective for you, but since it has a valve for easier exhalation, others not so much. The 3M P95 8271 (assuming that's what your wearing) was designed for Miners, Silica workers oil/non oil or those that work around lots of dust or particulates.

Is it effective yes, will it fit your needs absolutely and personally more comfy than the medical grade N95 or p100 that I would normally wear.
Curious, I have a dental hygienist friend who got one of these to wear since she had a hard time breathing through the mask all day. Does this do anything to the effectiveness of the mask?

https://www.easyflowusa.com/
oneeyedag
Honestly first time I've seen anything like that going around.

Looks like a poor man's version of a PAPR system minus the hood/head top system. I would certainly have issues regarding the seal and ability to block droplets and splashes from dental procedures especially if she cut her own hole.

If it were me doing a safety audit, I would highly recommend a face shield versus safety glasses or goggles. Secondly, as a hygienists she should be comfortable wearing a surgical mask.

From a risk perspective if she were to get splashed, metal projections etc., did the employer "faithfully" protect her?

Refer to 1910.133 and especially 1910.1030 and 1910.130 (d)(3)(i) and (ii)
88planoAg
AG
oneeyedag said:

Honestly first time I've seen anything like that going around.

Looks like a poor man's version of a PAPR system minus the hood/head top system. I would certainly have issues regarding the seal and ability to block droplets and splashes from dental procedures especially if she cut her own hole.

If it were me doing a safety audit, I would highly recommend a face shield versus safety glasses or goggles. Secondly, as a hygienists she should be comfortable wearing a surgical mask.

From a risk perspective if she were to get splashed, metal projections etc., did the employer "faithfully" protect her?

Refer to 1910.133 and especially 1910.1030 and 1910.130 (d)(3)(i) and (ii)
I think they are/were requiring an n95, which is why she was having trouble. Not a surgical mask. And full time, not just with patients. I also saw a pic of her in a face shield, so she has that as well. I hadn't seen a device like this either, and was curious if it would work.
Keller6Ag91
AG
Wrighty said:

Do you have a weakened immune system due to age and/or medical conditions? If no, don't worry about it. Odds are higher you'll die from the plane crashing than COVID.
Gig'Em and God Bless,

JB'91
HeadCiv78
AG
Aggie95 said:

Another example of even medical people getting it wrong. The main reason masks are recommended is to reduce the chance of you infecting someone else by stopping aerosol type droplets from being launched into the air around you. They provide some (but limited) protection time the wearer.
oneeyedag
I see, I believe the N95 is overkill personally for Dental work. But if she is having difficulty breathing over long term use, she should not be in an N95 or re-perfom a fit testing.

My recommendation would be a the 3M 8511 w/one way valve with a surgical mask overtop, plus the full face shield.

While not ideal to wear a N95 valved respirator while perfoming medical work, it would offer only slightly more comfort in breathing than medical grade N95.
dr_boogs
AG
AgReserach and Oneeyed - thanks for the replies. I'll check the cartridges we have on the Honeywell 5500 and if they are not P100's I'll get a set of those. We wear goggles to protect our eyes. Long sleeve shirts, latex gloves.

AgReserach, is there a way I can reach you off line to ask some follow up questions on specific herbicides?

If you'll shoot me a text I'll give you my email and then I'll pull my phone number from this post.

Many thanks.

*Edited to remove phone number.
Snap E Tom
HeadCiv78 said:

Aggie95 said:

Another example of even medical people getting it wrong. The main reason masks are recommended is to reduce the chance of you infecting someone else by stopping aerosol type droplets from being launched into the air around you. They provide some (but limited) protection time the wearer.
OP said N95, which implies a respirator. Like I said, a respirator protects the user from others, not others against the user.
TChaney
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.