Bloomberg: "Operation Warp Speed' Aims to Rush Coronavirus Vaccine...

5,894 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Belton Ag
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Knock on wood, but between this news and the Oxford efforts revealed earlier this week, it's starting to feel more and more like we're about to see an unprecedented, space-race-esque vaccine effort that may very well blow away the standard timelines everyone keeps throwing around...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-29/trump-s-operation-warp-speed-aims-to-rush-coronavirus-vaccine?sref=6SIErc4i
TexasAggie008
AG
Makes since considering every single country in the world is highly incentived to make it happen
Cant Think of a Name
AG

Sounds like how this movie started
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Probably needs to be Ludicrous speed.
I bleed maroon
AG
Sarduakar said:

Probably needs to be Ludicrous speed.
Why stop there? Go all the way to plaid.

Duncan Idaho
I hope beyond hope this plans out and I hope they make it open source.

It is going to take a global effort to get it produced, distributed and administered.
Premium
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I hope beyond hope this plans out and I hope they make it open source.

It is going to take a global effort to get it produced, distributed and administered.

Just don't buy the contaminated version from China.
Duncan Idaho
China is a big reason why I want it open sourced.

I'd like as much qualified diversity in the supply chain to make this. Portfolio management and all of that. With a single It only takes one mistake to **** everyone
88planoAg
AG
People will have to agree to actually get the vaccine, though.
Duncan Idaho
88planoAg said:

There is a terrifying large number of people that wont because of Bill Gates, the mark of the beast and some other nonsense.

It would take trump getting his vaccination on Fox and Friends to convince a lot of them.

It worked for elvis.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
88planoAg said:

Outside of the F16 crowd, most folks will very likely be happy to.
88planoAg
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

88planoAg said:

There is a terrifying large number of people that wont because of Bill Gates, the mark of the beast and some other nonsense.

It would take trump getting his vaccination on Fox and Friends to convince a lot of them.

It worked for elvis.
I dunno, I've now read that Fox news has been co-opted. Crazy lady that organized a protest last weekend said that. Her sources are now only info wars and Q.
shiftyandquick
We're finding out right now how useless antibody tests that were not properly tested are.

We shouldn't do the same with a vaccine. It needs to be properly tested. A bad vaccine could do more harm than good. In trying to make a SARS vaccine, they found sometimes the vaccine could make people more prone to infection.
Ag Natural
AG
In the movie Contagion they developed a vaccine in four months.
Dad
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

88planoAg said:

It worked for elvis.

I will get it.... but I'll need six to twelve months to see that people that got it are not dying, not turning into zombies, and not getting Covid before I let them give it to me.
pantherag
AG
Pfizer will begin testing a vaccine next week and said it could be ready for use this Fall on an Emergency Basis.
pantherag
AG
Ag Natural said:

In the movie Contagion they developed a vaccine in four months.

Maurice Hilleman who was working for Squibb Pharma during WWII was given 30 days to develop a vaccine for Japanese Encephalitis to protect our soldiers at war. He was able to develop the vaccine in 30 days and started vaccinating soldiers. It was an amazing feat.

Most people have no idea who Maurice Hilleman is. This guy was an amazing scientist and researcher. We need a Maurice Hilleman today.
BullSprig07
AG
In Outbreak Cuba gooding jr and rainman found a monkey and got an antidote that CURED the disease done in like thirty minutes and saved Rene Russo's life.
lazuras_dc
AG
What is considered "emergency basis" ?
AggieOO
i'm definitely not anti-vaccinations, but I won't be first in line for this one.
BBQ4Me
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

In Outbreak Cuba gooding jr and rainman found a monkey and got an antidote that CURED the disease done in like thirty minutes and saved Rene Russo's life.

We need a Cuba Gooding Jr today.
Ag Natural
AG
BBQ4Me said:

Water Turkey07 said:

We need a Cuba Gooding Jr today.

We need to get Dustin Hoffman off his ass to go find that bat!
Barnyard96
AG
There is a global race to get a vaccine to sell before this thing burns out on its own.
Cant Think of a Name
claym711
AG
Ya you guys can cut to the front of the line for that rushed govt vaccine.
Ag Natural
AG
claym711 said:

Ya you guys can cut to the front of the line for that rushed govt vaccine.

Well if you're dead then you ain't infected. Am I right!?
samurai_science
https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/19/vaccine-experts-say-moderna-didnt-produce-data-critical-to-assessing-covid-19-vaccine/
BadMoonRisin
AG
Can i just volunteer to get blown the **** up by the full blown virus so I can get on with my life?

Seriously. We now have good data on this and it isn't polio. Cough in my mouth and I'll go home for 10 days. I'll roll the dice on the fact that i have a 99.9% chance of surviving... 60-70% of the time i might not even know I have it.. whatever.. let's go.
fightingfarmer09
https://www.foxnews.com/world/uk-researchers-warn-of-only-50-percent-success-for-covid-vaccine-trial

Due to coronavirus cases decreasing so does the likelihood of having successful vaccine screenings. Another blow against vaccine in any near timeline.
MaxPower
I don't get it. Isn't 50% better than nothing? At some point you do the best you can. This seems like a classic case of good being the enemy of perfect.
Paradise Ag
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

88planoAg said:

It worked for elvis.

Once this has all sussed out, it will be a challenge to create a vaccine with a lower CFR for <60 yr olds than the China virus itself.

Relieved to see folks like yourself willing to immediately give it an experimental go so that the rest of us can see the side effects before we leap on board.

TIA.
fightingfarmer09
MaxPower said:

I don't get it. Isn't 50% better than nothing? At some point you do the best you can. This seems like a classic case of good being the enemy of perfect.

50% chance of the results even being valid because the infection rate is so low. Not even the vaccine working.

Yes, before you pour enormous energy into a vaccine advancing you want to be sure that it successfully cleared the checkpoint.
Sq 17
Water Turkey07 said:

In Outbreak Cuba gooding jr and rainman found a MONKEY and got an antidote that CURED the disease done in like thirty minutes and saved Rene Russo's life.
iirc the monkey had the highest grossing film debut of any the cast member from Friends
agsalaska
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

Can i just volunteer to get blown the **** up by the full blown virus so I can get on with my life?

Seriously. We now have good data on this and it isn't polio. Cough in my mouth and I'll go home for 10 days. I'll roll the dice on the fact that i have a 99.9% chance of surviving... 60-70% of the time i might not even know I have it.. whatever.. let's go.
I got my results back yesterday. They were negative as I expected considering I never developed a fever and felt fine. I was a little disappointed.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Belton Ag
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

Can't we just stick a monkey in a blender then inject it into our necks? I mean, how long does this take?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.