Long Term Health Impacts?

2,026 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Marcus Aurelius
AggieKeith15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Over a month ago, when cases in the US were still low in number, I recall reading an article which highlighted that in China 90% of people who recovered from Coronavirus made complete recoveries from the infection and went on to have no long term damage to their lungs. However, 10% of people who recovered went on to face some irreversible lung damage and in some cases, primarily for those who were smokers, were discovered to have had very severe damage.

To the doctors on this board, is this still considered true? As a young person what types of lung conditions are we at risk of carrying over from this debacle? Is this something that could cause a whole generation life long health problems?

Thank you for any and all responses to this post! I And a big thank you to the doctors, nurses, health technicians, and all other medical professionals battling this out in our ER rooms, ICUs, and clinics! You are all brave men and women, and I, and the rest of us, can't thank you enough for all you do!
aezmvp
There are also reports of heart damage and as well.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Yes. As I posted on another thread. Case reports coming out of China about post-inflammatory fibrosis of the lungs in ARDS survivors. Not enough info to predict long term outcomes. But ominous. ARDS from other causes doesnt do this.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Yes. As I posted on another thread. Case reports coming out of China about post-inflammatory fibrosis of the lungs in ARDS survivors. Not enough info to predict long term outcomes. But ominous. ARDS from other causes doesnt do this.
Would the ARDS coincide with the often-quote 5% critical cases (those requiring a ventilator to survive)?

Or the broader population? with no regard to asymptomatic to severe cases?

Seems like if it infected your lungs in a way which required intubation, those are the people potentially seeing long-term damage?
AggieKeith15
AG
Thanks for the response! So relatively speaking if you don't end up in ICU with ARDS then it's not likely to cause long term damage?

I ask because I see mentions of ground glass in the lungs. I know it's a medical term for scarring of the tissue, but I've always wondered what the long term consequences of having this would be. Especially for a large population of people.

Also, if ground glass does cause long term damage that could cause health issues later on, I guess I'm curious why there's not more emphasis on this? I think most people, especially younger people, think they will get it and life will go on. The real threat though may be if/when they get a respiratory infection the next time in life.
Marcus Aurelius
AG
Everyone who develops hypoxia has some evidence of viral pneumonia. "Ground glass" is a common lung CT finding in these pts. Indicates inflammation but not fibrosis. Peripheral and bilateral. ARDS is associated with much more bilateral infiltrates and a P/F ratio of < 300, much worse <200. PO2/FIO2 vent. We don't know COVID19 long term data but I doubt simple ground glass pulm disease leads to fibrosis. I suspect many who survive the disease at home, if they were CTd, would have ground glass viral pneumonia but not ARDS.
Marcus Aurelius
AG

ARDS CXR.
00AGof3
AG
English Doc or another translator appreciated.
Marcus Aurelius
AG

Ground glass infiltrates CT
Marcus Aurelius
AG

ARDS CT
AggieKeith15
AG
Marcus Aurelius said:

Ground glass infiltrates CT

So as a non medical person this looks bad and compared to the first scan shown (the ARDS case) it looks worse. I assume this is because the ARDS image is less enhanced, but the thing were supposed to notice is how widespread the abnormalities are? I assume in the first image it's important to notice all of the faint blurs throughout the lungs. This would be the damage is that correct?

Also, to make sure I understand, ground glass is nothing to be worried about, but it's essentially proof that there was some wear to the lungs, is that a good way of putting it? I assume there are always varying degrees to how bad even ground glass can be, but for the most part in the medical world it doesn't sound like we should be alarmed by it. I certainly hope that's the case at least!

Thanks again!
Marcus Aurelius
AG
I would not say "ground glass is nothing to be worried about." The ARDS ct is much worse.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.