First death in Brazos County related to virus

4,723 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Rapier108
TxSquarebody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Man in his 80's.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Brazos-County-Health-Department-providing-update-on-COVID-19-cases-569192231.html
Rapier108
Why was the post that the man was in hospice care deleted?

That is in the KBTX article in the OP.

Quote:

BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX)- The Brazos County Health District on Saturday confirmed the county's first COVID-19-related death.

The patient was a College Station man in his 80s and was in hospice care at the time of his death, officials confirmed. Authorities say he contracted the virus through community-spread, meaning he has not traveled out of the area.

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
samsal75
AG
In his 80's and already on hospice care but yet cause of death is stated/determined to be Caronavirus. Seems like a skewed conclusion but what do I know?? Thanks
Proposition Joe
Good grief. Guy dies and first 2 replies are questioning the validity of the news article and medical research.
Inca
AG
The way that is written is unclear. Was he already in hospice care BEFORE he contracted COVID-19?
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

That was strange.
Cancelled
AG
Rapier108 said:

Quote:

BRYAN, Tex. (KBTX)- The Brazos County Health District on Saturday confirmed the county's first COVID-19-related death.

The patient was a College Station man in his 80s and was in hospice care at the time of his death, officials confirmed. Authorities say he contracted the virus through community-spread, meaning he has not traveled out of the area.

Because the truth doesn't instill panic and sell newspapers
TAMU1990
AG
I took it to mean he was already in hospice and caught CV from someone who came to see him.
Rapier108
Proposition Joe said:

Good grief. Guy dies and first 2 replies are questioning the validity of the news article and medical research.
Can to explain how I was "questioning" anything other than why a post was deleted?

The deleted post said the man was in hospice care, but suddenly disappeared. That information was in the KBTX article the OP cited.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
HouAggie2007
Because it was a callous statement about how the guy had probably already punched his ticket out essentially
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Because it was a callous statement about how the guy had probably already punched his ticket out essentially

Not really . . . the deleted post just said the guy was in hospice with a question mark. You are jumping to conclusions.

benchmark
AG
BCS new cases today (9) - all community spread and throughout most age groups.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Spring Breakers
HouAggie2007
It said something along the lines that he was probably so far gone he didn't know what was happening
JaneDoe02
AG
A staff member at The Isle (assisted living and skilled nursing) in Bryan has tested positive.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

It said something along the lines that he was probably so far gone he didn't know what was happening

That is not what I saw, but having put several family members through hospice I do hope that was the case for this poor soul. I do understand hospice can be longer lasting and stretch into months in certain cases. My experiences have been that 75% of hospice involves severe medication and a lack of awareness as the body has committed to the death process.

Terrible story all around.
TRADUCTOR
Awful to be in hospice and then get hit with COVID...Death just took a double tap cheap shot.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Spring Breakers

Spring breakers, people who did St Ps day at Northgate knowing trouble was around the corner, and aholes who jumped on cheap flights looking for a quick vacation even though they knew it was probably not the smart thing to do.
Belton Ag
AG
JaneDoe02 said:

A staff member at The Isle (assisted living and skilled nursing) in Bryan has tested positive.
Good grief that's what happened at that place in Washington.
Rapier108
Quote:

COLLEGE STATION, Tex. (KBTX)- Jack Douglas Bryant passed away Saturday morning inside a College Station assisted living center, only three days after he was put in hospice care.

The 82-year-old from College Station had dementia, his family said, but no severe health complications prior to this week.

His family tells KBTX his health took a turn for the worst on Wednesday. He was tested for COVID-19 on Thursday afternoon and results returned on Friday revealed he was positive for the virus.

Cassie Schildknecht lives more than 2,000 miles away in Spokane, Washington. She was notified Saturday morning that her grandfather had passed away.

"He died alone. None of us could be with him by his side in his final days," said Schildknecht. "We were not anticipating him going as fast as he did nor him testing positive. The virus just expedited the whole situation."

"The worst part of it is that we're here in Washington and we can't come home to be with family," said Schildknecht in a phone interview Saturday night with News 3's Rusty Surette.

Bryant was a mathematician and worked in the math department at Texas A&M University for decades. He also worked for NASA and enjoyed statistics and data.
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Jack-Bryant-82-is-Brazos-Countys-first-COVID-19-victim-569196301.html
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Here
Pulmcrit_ag
Here. Sounds like someone who was interesting, intelligent, and contributed a great deal to the world in which he lived. Prayers for him and his loved ones.
Fitch
AG
Here.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Here.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Rapier108
Not originally mentioned in the article, he had been placed in hospice care at the facility (IIRC, there are two on Rock Prairie Road so didn't want to guess a name and be wrong) just 3 days before so he had to have been exposed while still at home.
AgDotCom
There are at least 3 assisted living facilities on Rock Prairie Rd., I'm familiar with them because I spent a lot of time at two of them over the past several years. No need to name names, but of the two across from CS Middle School, one is a memory care facility which serves those with dementia and Alzheimers. The one at Rock Prairie / Medical Dr. close to S&W Hospital doesn't have a stated memory care unit, but has more than a few residents with dementia / early stage Alzheimers. I've had close relatives at both, visited about 5 days each week up until last year when my last relative passed, and I still go to one of them now and then to see other residents I met during that time.

The flu went through one of the facilities pretty bad in Dec. 2018 and affected 30-40% of the residents. I know this because I visited at dinner time most days, and the dining room was half empty for a few weeks. My relative was one of the flu victims, and he and 3-4 others never recovered from it. My relative passed while on hospice, he had a couple of prior medical issues earlier in the year and had been a candidate for hospice twice but didn't "qualify" until the third hospice evaluation when he stopped eating and drinking after getting sick during the flu outbreak.

After my experiences, in my opinion you really can't reach any conclusion on what was truly responsible for today's death or the deaths of my relatives, unless autopsies are performed. In my cases, one had Alzheimers but died from cancer. The one with the flu had "Alzheimers" as the cause of death on the death certificate. In both cases, drilling down into the distinct or finite causes of death was not a priority of the families. It is with some families, but not with others.
Brutal Puffin
AG
Here.
Rapier108
Second death, woman in her 90s.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Second-COVID-19-death-four-new-cases-in-Brazos-County-569202221.html
Belton Ag
Rapier108
Looks like we have a local nursing home infected. Both deaths were residents of the same nursing home.

The Waterford is the nursing home with both residents and staff infected.

This doesn't surprise me because of the number of EMS runs that have been dispatched there in the last week. I had thought about mentioning it, but figured it's not uncommon for nursing homes to have medical calls on a regular basis and perhaps it was just random chance. Also, didn't want to post the name and then be wrong.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/KBTX-INVESTIGATES-Possible-outbreak-of-COVID-19-at-local-assisted-living-center-569235751.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.