Florida setting up check points to screen

3,314 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bay fan
itsyourboypookie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For New Yorkers coming in

Johnny2Fan
So much for stay at home.
thelaw4
AG
this is idiotic, covid is everywhere already.
AgResearch
AG
Tbs2003
nm
Ag Defense Rules
AG
This is smart. They learned what happened in Milan just before they shut in. People running to the last trains out.
TAMUallen
AG
thelaw4 said:

this is idiotic, covid is everywhere already.

It is idiotic to allow people with a higher risk of being infected an easy ability to move about or to your state when they have clearly ignored isolation orders/recommendations
Aust Ag
AG
Doing the same in Rhode Island, pulling people over with NY plates.
Federale01
AG
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/489996-rhode-island-police-national-guard-begin-stopping-cars-with-ny-plates

RI as well.

I disagree that it is stupid though. While it is every where, forcing people from highly affected areas to stay in place will help slow the spread to less affected areas. Faucci has defended Trump's travel bans countless times arguing that they will help slow the spread here in the U.S. because additional infected people coming into a community exacerbates the problem and increases the cases wherever those people travel to. The same idea works between states as well.

For example, I have a family friend that lives in western MA. Like many smaller towns in that area, her community is made-up of retirees and people from Boston and New York with second homes. Folks are fleeing from NY to their second homes in her community, and of course they have to shop so they can hunker down. This activity is stripping the resources from the town and possibly spreading the virus. While it is already in her community to an extent (she has a friend in the hospital fighting it), injecting numerous more infected people from NY will cause additional spread on an exponential level, affect a more vulnerable population, and swamp healthcare systems designed from smaller, regional populations.

NY's need to stay put.
Federale01
AG
Beat me to it.
Aust Ag
AG
Man, how uncomfortable would it be if you had a brother or sister living in NYC, and they called up and said, "Hey, I don't feel like this is a healthy environment to live in, Can I come live with you guys for a little while, until this blows over?"
Federale01
AG
I would probably let them come, but try to set up the house so they can self-quarantine for a while until it looks like they are in the clear.

I live with/date an ER doctor. I already have a room set up in the basement for potential quarantine needs. Two weeks ago we stopped sleeping in the same room. We do not drive together, sit on the same couch, have any physical contact, touch each others utensils, or use the same restroom. Its been a very complicated last few weeks.

scottimus
AG
SPI in South Texas has a checkpoint after the causeway before entering the island.

https://www.facebook.com/691465866/posts/10157938471620867/?d=n
Pulmcrit_ag
Hang in there federale, in the same boat.
Federale01
AG
Pulmcrit_ag said:

Hang in there federale, in the same boat.
RandyAg98
AG
Quote:

...Two weeks ago we stopped sleeping in the same room. We do not drive together, sit on the same couch, have any physical contact, touch each others utensils, or use the same restroom. Its been a very complicated last few weeks.
Same. But mine's been 13 years, and I call it marriage.
jebeka
I have a beach rental condo in Destin. The rental company indicated that there will be checkpoints on I10 (really targeting New Orleans). They suggested that those vehicles would be required to quarantine for 14 days. I'm guessing the other option is turn around and go home. Short term rental has be shut down in Florida. If you own a place they are asking that you don't travel and stay wherever you are currently.

It makes sense. Destin (Okaloosa County) has about 20-30 positives. That's high for a rural area. I'm guessing spring breakers came over from N.O. and seeded the area. It's not terrible there but short term rentals expose cleaning services to unnecessary risk.

I think closing the beaches is more to limit tourism than any concern of transferring Covid.
tysker
AG
Aust Ag said:

Doing the same in Rhode Island, pulling people over with NY plates.

Interesting as so many people in NYC dont own a car
murphyag
AG
The wealthy residents all own cars....
bay fan
S
Where were those check points when all those spring breakers were contaminating each other without Florida closing the beaches?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.