From a friend in NYC

4,787 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TRADUCTOR
kyledr04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"Just came from the ER in Brooklyn. Bob has coronavirus, which means yes I have it too. Luckily I haven't had severe symptoms like he has had. In the waiting room, while Bob had his head on my shoulder, I sat across from a lady who was leaned against the wall with her eyes closed and her hand on her chest breathing very shallow and sobbing. When they called her name, she could hardly stand. 5 people came in on stretchers in a short amount of time. A woman was calling over the speaker for a respiratory therapist to go to ICU over and over. I could hear someone coughing so hard it sounded like a lung was going to come up.

Bob's been sick for about 7 days. Coughing, body aches, fever. He even says his skin hurts. He's really miserable. He can't taste or smell anything now. I've been so lucky that I've been fine. I'm just taking care of him. We ended up leaving the ER because we waited so long and he really wanted to go back to bed. We'll go back if we need to."

Sb1540
That's terrible. Prayers to him. How old is Bob?
kyledr04
AG
Early 30s
98Ag99Grad
AG
Good health before this? Smoker or anything like that? Just like some background when I hear stories like this is all. Prayers for your friends.
kyledr04
AG
Don't know alot more. I know the author not Bob. The main office for my company is in NYC so I have lots of contacts there plus some friends/family from TX that live there. Some are closer friends than others.
drewser95
AG
kyledr04 said:

I sat across from a lady who was leaned against the wall with her eyes closed and her hand on her chest breathing very shallow and sobbing. When they called her name, she could hardly stand.
Not sure why (with all the other sad reports out there), but that bit really resonated with me for some reason. Heartbreaking.
Bankeraggie
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Good health before this? Smoker or anything like that? Just like some background when I hear stories like this is all. Prayers for your friends.

People desperately want to believe the narrative they have constructed that this can't impact them or anyone they love (under 60).
dreyOO
Whether it kills or not, those really afflicted by it are dealing with a nasty sickness. Damn

Prayers lifted
TXAggie2011
AG
Prayers for Bob, the author, the lady who had trouble standing, and everyone else.
TXAggie2011
AG
Bankeraggie said:

98Ag99Grad said:

People desperately want to believe the narrative they have constructed that this can't impact them or anyone they love (under 60).

And, I think this often is forgotten or overlooked, the count of damaged lungs that will cause trouble down the line for many of the recovered will be many.
I should be studying 11
AG
I think people are more focused on the 80% asymptomatic figure...
swagfan
Bankeraggie said:

98Ag99Grad said:

You mean people want to have hope. It's ok to have hope that this won't be horrible if they get it. Hope is sometimes the only thing people have left to carry on.
AggieAuditor
AG
Really man? Maybe people just want to hope that we're not all going to die. We're not all at a party on the beach just trying to piss the world off.
Keegan99
AG
Bankeraggie said:

98Ag99Grad said:

Can't? No

Very, very unlikely? Yes.

If infected, the likelihood of a person under the age of 60 dying is less than 1%.
swc93
AG
I didn't read it that way.
AggieAuditor
AG
Ok?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Wonder why Bob went to hospital - everything I've read is to stay far away if otherwise healthy and breathing okay.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Bankeraggie said:

98Ag99Grad said:

No narrative. Just when I hear 80% with no underlying conditions make it out ok but keep seeing reports of people younger than me having issues I like to know as much as possible about their case if I can.
KlinkerAg11
AG
The exception does seem to be health professionals. Seems like over exposure is having and effect on some folks.
Aust Ag
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

The exception does seem to be health professionals. Seems like over exposure is having and effect on some folks.
I was wondering about that. I wonder if they're just getting daily exposure and that can even turn someone "asymptomatic" into sick after a while if they take too much in.
AgsMyDude
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Wonder why Bob went to hospital - everything I've read is to stay far away if otherwise healthy and breathing okay.

Maybe when his skin was hurting me thought it might be pretty serious
jagvocate
AG
KlinkerAg11 said:

Viral loading

bay fan
S
That's a very disturbing post. The reality facing people in NYC and across the country is very sad. I am praying for comfort for all sick and heath for the medical providers bravely helping as best they can.
Aust Ag
AG
Oh, so that's a real thing then? Wow.
culdeus
AG
Aust Ag said:

Oh, so that's a real thing then? Wow.

This was possible with HIV. Could be same here. ianad
Robk
I should be studying 11 said:

I think people are more focused on the 80% asymptomatic figure...
The 80% are not asymptomatic. The 80% range from asymptomatic (small percent) to mild (short of needing a hospital) and everything in between.
TRADUCTOR
Aggie09Derek said:

He went for an EMERGENCY and left cause the wait was too long.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.