Abbott Lab 5 Minute Test Out Next Week

3,963 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agsalaska
74Ag1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-27/abbott-launches-5-minute-covid-19-test-for-use-almost-anywhere
Phat32
AG
Big, if true
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Bloomberg, Fortune, and Newsweek are basically the CNN, Fox, and MSNBC of the internet.
aginlakeway
AG
Huge news.
Diyala Nick
AG
Biggest step yet in beating this.
Copperpot
AG
McInnis 03
AG
50k/day, going for 5MM/mo
BiochemAg97
AG
McInnis 03 said:

Doesn't seem like enough, given others are at 2MM/week going to 5MM/week and we stil, have test rationing.

Corps Turd
AG
True...can verify this news with confidence.
AggieMPH2005
Is anyone else a practice manager or hospital administrator and is ordering these? I'd like to get this for my ER and my Family Medicine practice I manage, but have never used Abbott for my POC testing.
BiochemAg97
AG
AggieMPH2005 said:

Is anyone else a practice manager or hospital administrator and is ordering these? I'd like to get this for my ER and my Family Medicine practice I manage, but have never used Abbott for my POC testing.
You likely need an Abbott device (ID Now) to run the test, which doesn't sound like you have if you don't order testing supplies from Abbott.
Keegan99
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Doesn't seem like enough, given others are at 2MM/week going to 5MM/week and we stil, have test rationing.

Agreed. We'll need an order of magnitude more.

Once we have an ideal test, like this seems to be, it needs to be standardized and nationalized.

License the technology from Abbott and produce at every possible facility.
RCR06
AG
Anyone else think this was about the Texas governor based on the thread title?
BiochemAg97
AG
Keegan99 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

McInnis 03 said:

Agreed. We'll need an order of magnitude more.

Once we have an ideal test, like this seems to be, it needs to be standardized and nationalized.

License the technology from Abbott and produce at every possible facility.

Doesn't really work like that. This test needs Abbott machine. The TFS test needs a TFS machine. The Roche test needs a Roche machine. The other Abbott test needs the other machine.

The ID Now is a one at a time test. Yes, 5 min for positive and 13 min for negative is fast, but the throughput Is still low. assuming an average of 1 per 10 minutes (to make the maths easy) that is only 24 tests in a 4 hour period. TFS test is 94 tests in 4 hours and top of the line Roche system can run 1000 tests in 8 hours.

To reality is we need everyone making as many tests for each instrument as we can get.

Also Abbott is saying 5 mil tests per month between the two tests, not 5 million for this one.

Also, it isn't clear to me that the Abbott test is any more accurate that the TFS or Roche tests. The ID Now is more accurate than other rapid tests (which generally suck for false positives), but even Abbott doesn't compare it to a qPCR test.
PyriteAg
AG
Sounds great, but I'm concerned about its accuracy. In that aspect, it sounds too good to be true.
74Ag1
AG
Dario said:

Sounds great, but I'm concerned about its accuracy. In that aspect, it sounds too good to be true.

It's accurate or the FDA wouldn't have approved
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny.com/amp/coronavirus-test-covid-19-update-abbott/6057383
74Ag1
AG
yukmonkey said:

Big, if true

It's true
https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7ny.com/amp/coronavirus-test-covid-19-update-abbott/6057383
Keegan99
AG
Yes, I am aware it uses Abbott's machine.

There is no fundamental reason why that also could not be manufactured at scale by other parties.
videoag98
AG
Time to buy into ABT?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/ABT/
74Ag1
AG
Videos from Abbott
https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/product-and-innovation/detect-covid-19-in-as-little-as-5-minutes.html
BiochemAg97
AG
Keegan99 said:

There is no fundamental reason why that also could not be manufactured at scale by other parties.

Not in the timeframe we need. We can have lots of tests on the installed base of various instruments now.

There is still the fundamental fact that the throughput is limited. Yes 1 test is fast, 1000 tests is slow. Unless you want 1000 machines and as many lab techs as necessary to run the 1000 machines. And the space for 1000 machines. Instead, you could have the Roche system take up less space than 1000 toasters (less hands on time, and generate 1000 results in 8 hours (with some results as soon as 4 hrs)

There is a reason Abbott is making 2 tests. They aren't even stopping production of their other test for this one.

Fundamentally, a fast test is nice for a clinic or ER that is dealing with a relatively small number of patients coming in. A high throughput test would be better in a drive through testing situation where you could accumulate a lot of samples quickly and run the tests.

Also, this quick Abbott test is qualitative rather than quantitative. That is great in some situations (yes/no) , but we need quantitative results in other situations (monitoring viral loads in patients receiving treatment, for example).

We need as many tests as we can get now and that requires maximizing the installed instrument base, which means multiple different tests.
Diyala Nick
AG
BiochemAg97 said:

Keegan99 said:

Not in the timeframe we need. We can have lots of tests on the installed base of various instruments now.

There is still the fundamental fact that the throughput is limited. Yes 1 test is fast, 1000 tests is slow. Unless you want 1000 machines and as many lab techs as necessary to run the 1000 machines. And the space for 1000 machines. Instead, you could have the Roche system take up less space than 1000 toasters (less hands on time, and generate 1000 results in 8 hours (with some results as soon as 4 hrs)

There is a reason Abbott is making 2 tests. They aren't even stopping production of their other test for this one.

Fundamentally, a fast test is nice for a clinic or ER that is dealing with a relatively small number of patients coming in. A high throughput test would be better in a drive through testing situation where you could accumulate a lot of samples quickly and run the tests.

Also, this quick Abbott test is qualitative rather than quantitative. That is great in some situations (yes/no) , but we need quantitative results in other situations (monitoring viral loads in patients receiving treatment, for example).

We need as many tests as we can get now and that requires maximizing the installed instrument base, which means multiple different tests.

I think that the value of this quick, low volume test will for when the curve is flattened and we all head back out in public. This will help with preventing the random infected individual from spreading it around because of difficulty and delays in testing.
B-1 83
AG
meatsweats said:

Time to buy into ABT?

Had it for years.
McInnis 03
AG
B-1 83 said:

meatsweats said:

Time to buy into ABT?

Had it for years.

Dividend aristocrat
agsalaska
AG
yukmonkey said:

Big, if true
Biggest news since the start of all of this.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.