Anxiety in a grocery store.

10,284 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Inca
Gizzards
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cowenlaw said:

It's a 2-week wait for a curbside appointment in San Antonio.

So, plan for it. Place an order and add to it between now and then. Pick it up and place your next order. It's not difficult, just different.
Ag12thman
AG
Skillet Shot said:

Curbside or delivery
This! My wife and I have been using it and HEB is excellent at it. Just be sure to put your order in much earlier than you need it. It's been running about 3 to 4 days out for an appointment. (For example, we placed the order we picked up today on Tuesday evening.)

And God Bless HEB. I'll never shop anywhere else after seeing all they have done for customers since this mess began.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Just wear an item of clothing that says EMS. People will either thank you for your service, ask you some random health question or best bet, steer clear bc you'd have the RONA
Fitch
AG
I live within a 3 minute walk to the nearest HEB. Today probably half the people in the store had face masks and/or gloves on. First time seeing that.

Frankly I'm not sure where they got the masks!

Still such a strange new paradigm.
Allen Aggie
AG
Fitch said:

I live within a 3 minute walk to the nearest HEB. Today probably half the people in the store had face masks and/or gloves on. First time seeing that.

I have masks that I bought 10 years ago.
combat wombat™
AG
Allen Aggie said:

Fitch said:

I have masks that I bought 10 years ago.

Same here. (Not N95, just procedure masks.)
Carlo4
AG
For more perspective, 3 out of every 10,000 people in the US has a confirmed case of COVID-19. I know numbers will go up and there are more not reported, but the Spanish Flu pandemic was roughly 50% of the world population then. I know we are certainly trying to prevent such a worst case scenario.

Shouldn't live in panic and fear, but be smart about the situation. Minimize exposure - curbside pickup or home delivery, wear masks and gloves, etc.

Use the time to get to know friends and family better over phone/video or better family time at home. It's challenging. It has disrupted our lives, but keep a positive attitude!
3rd Generation Ag
AG

When will stores get back to normal, that is the question?

Wait for curbside too long. I am out of some things. I am stil getting a paycheck working from home and that is a blessing, but will have to go to kroger during elder hours and hope for the best on Tuesday when I get paid.

I did curbside last month and even then a full page was not available. I need to be in the store because the shoppers don't really understand how to subsitute. I can look at the shelves and know what will work.

Quantitiy limits make it almost impossible for others to help.

So I will be deciding between dg and kroger on Tuesday.
Old Sarge
AG
I got a little peeved at the grocery store, when some dumbasses did not seem to care about social distancing.

I got anxiety last Friday sitting in the Ambergris Caye, Belize airport when they bumped us to a little later flight to the mainland airport (for connecting flight to Houston) after Belize announced flights in/out of the country were stopping the next day, and all flights out were completely booked.
The Fall Guy
AG
The local convenience store had eggs this morning. Great experience, everybody on edge but friendly.
RockOn
Tyler just isn't experiencing the same. Went to Brookshires yesterday (Friday 3/27), no crowds, no waiting in lines, inventory full. Few of the older patrons had masks on but everyone was just keeping their distance and doing normal shopping.

I bike to the grocery store and my bike bags also double as shopping bags, so I didn't have to use a cart or basket. Touching those seems like a high risk area of contact.
Post removed:
by user
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I have to go to the grocery store today. I'm going to the Kroger that usually has mostly older people shopping there. I'm hoping they will be mindful of keeping a distance. Last time I went to that store (about 2 weeks ago) they had an employee sanitizing the carts and people's hands before they would let you in the store. Of course, there were also women in the store, allowing their 3 kids to run around and do whatever they want.

This is the first time I have ever felt nervous about going grocery shopping.
TRADUCTOR
You be mindful, keep the 6ft, take your time, expect the need to have patience, slow deep breathing to address and calm a concern.

Just like any other shopping trip except most will be on their very best behavior. Late afternoon less crowded.

bonfarr
AG
I'm just doing Shipt and getting odds and ends at gas stations when I have to fill up. I passed Home Depot yesterday and they were slammed worse than the HEB with lots of elderly people walking around. I thought we were doing all of this to protect the olds but many don't seem aware of that.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I need to get out tomorrow and am already anxious about it. Hope for the best. Not sure yet where I will go.
Silky Johnston
Not sure why we are going through all this trouble to help them if they won't help themselves...
Ag_N_Houston
AG
My shopping trip started off well, but by the time I got done I was pretty annoyed. The follow incidents upset me.

1- The 20-something girl talking on her cell phone as she blocked the aisle. When I stopped to allow her to move back or over, she just stood there. She finally said "this is awkward" and I told her I would just turn around because there was no one on the other end of the aisle. As I walked away she called after me "I don't have coronavirus." Um...she is exactly the kind of person that has the virus, is asymptomatic, and spreads it everywhere she goes.

2- The people that would walk right over to where I was while I was trying to get something off the shelf/out of the freezer.

3- The people that take the whole family to the store. Seriously, I don't think your 4 and 5 year old are going to be very helpful with the shopping. Leave them home with one parent and let the other parent shops.

4- The lady who got behind me in the checkout line. I turned around and told her to back up. She looked offended and I don't care. I was offended that she was not following the current social rules.
EMY92
AG
Jadetex said:

The curbside pickup at HEB has been booked up four or five days in advance.
For my last curbside order, the first available pickup time was in 10 days. Also, you can't add/subtract from the order once placed. It says you can add up to 4 items, but it won't actually allow the items to be added.
bonfarr
AG
EMY92 said:

Jadetex said:

The curbside pickup at HEB has been booked up four or five days in advance.
For my last curbside order, the first available pickup time was in 10 days. Also, you can't add/subtract from the order once placed. It says you can add up to 4 items, but it won't actually allow the items to be added.

Download the Shipt app, you can add items right up until your shipper heads to the checkout.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
I did my first outing in three weeks. On advice I went to Braums. Only one other shopper who kept distance. They had bread, milk eggs, fruit, butter and hamburger. It was a little more expensive than a grocery store but I did not have to take many chances. I wore a mask and used hand sanitzer the moment I got in the car, on hands, door handle. And washed over and over when I got home.

Did a pick up order for Kroger. First available time is Friday. I took it, but they would not let you order any paper products.

So when my current supply of toilet paper runs out, I am up ****ts creek. I don't want to have to actually patrol stores to find it. I am 71 and high risk.

I will go to my nearby DG at opening tomorrow (senior hour) and see if they have tp and paper towels. I have actually started rationing myself on tp. Not for the serious stuff but for kidney things. I now just count our five squares. I always used a huge handful because I did not like getting anything wet on my hands. Now I wash my hands extra long and get by. I have three rolls left in a multipack and another multipack I bought last year that has not been opened so I am ok for a couple of weeks. If my complex gets put in lockdown I am sunk and some senior living places have had that happen.

I am lowest on paper towels. Just one more roll, but I will simply have to use real towels and wash them.
Inca
AG
Is there anyone in your area that could get paper products for you? They could simply knock and leave them outside of your door.

Maybe someone here on TexAgs. If you were in my area, I'd do it. We are almost always (even pre-virus) well stocked with paper products.

Oh, here is an interesting paper towel replacement product available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Towels-Friendly-Washable-Reusable/dp/B00KWBSDYC/ref=sr_1_7?crid=10RH4ZNEWT7XX&dchild=1&keywords=paper+towels&qid=1585703669&sprefix=paper+towels%2Caps%2C761&sr=8-7
Trucker 96
Been making a weekly grocery run at 6am (Kroger) and it's been working well. Few people and decently stocked that early
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
I am in west Houston and can help out if you are close. No luck at HEB... people suck at social distancing in the aisles. Let me know. If I find some paper towels or TP, I can mail it to you
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Thanks. A Texags poster up here already offered. But with limits and hard to find I don't want anyone taking risks. I have a student who works nights stocking at a store and I will reach out to him if it gets low. Nothing is critical now and I can do without paper towels. I am going to try the bamboo towels. Thanks for the link.
combat wombat™
AG
My mom has the bamboo towels. They can be washed and reused many times.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Ok, Hit dg at opening and got dog treats, toilet paper and paper towels--that will last me tiil the bamboo get here. I am good for a month now and other than a pick up order from Kroger will probably not get out at all. I have three bottles of wine and two of rum so that should do for that.

Inca
AG
Glad you were able to get everything you need!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.