Anxiety in a grocery store.

10,259 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Inca
The Fall Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been good about it till today. Went to the local HEB and they were not doing the line letting people In the store one by one. Thay had the sucker wide open. Aisles were PACKED . Just the checkout lanes were social distancing. Milk aisle was 20 people deep.

Well, back to the dollar General when I need something.

I don't have anxiety but today my mind went nuts.
Skillet Shot
Curbside or delivery
JimboFlyFisher
AG
Just drove by Buccees in Madisonville and parking lot was jammed. That ain't my game.
jopatura
AG
I had strong anxiety the night before I went grocery shopping. My insomnia was bad that night and I didn't get to sleep until nearly 3 am.

Nothing crazy happened while I was out but the what if's dragged me down.
TAMU1990
AG
Me too - and I'm not a germaphobe in normal conditions.
Dad
AG
I think if I'm going to get cv it will be in a grocery store.
SEConferenceAggie08
AG
Which H-E-B? Or at least what city/town?
SRBS
400 fatalities so far today in the USA.
This is a bad b*tch
polarice
AG
Me too, cause that's the only reason I'm leaving the house.
Jadetxag10
AG
The curbside pickup at HEB has been booked up four or five days in advance.
Capitol Ag
AG
Stress and anxiety and Covid-19

Honestly some of us need to just calm down. And I understand it, as I've been relatively OCD my whole life and a bit of s germaphob. But in the end, letting these things bother us to the point we can't go in a store to get necessities or run errands and dealing with the stress of worry regarding this takes in many cases a similar toll than actually getting infected. Plus anxiety and stress wear down our immune system as bad as anything.

Part of it is we are home board and have nothing to do but read and watch everything Covid we can. But as the article says, for a lot of us the best thing to do is turn off the Covid for a while. Take your mind off it and only go back to make sure there are actual emergencies we need to worry about. Stay home, binge watch a show, exercise, cook, have a back yard family camp out, enjoy family movie night, rekindle romance with the spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend, clean out a few rooms, throw out stuff in the closet, reorganize the garage, etc. And when you go to a packed store, just relax. Wash hands afterward, don't touch your face. Think about this for a minute, there are already plenty of very serious and urgent pathogens at every grocery store as bad as or worse than Covid. Ever get meat? I seem to always get chicken "juice" on my hands. Salmonella anyone? I have had that before. No thanks. So I don't panic. I finish shopping, wash my hands when I can and move on. As one on an immunosuppressant, I've learned to cope and go on. Nothing they say to do to prevent Covid is any different than I already do, and I do anything and everything I want. I just use my head.
momlaw
AG
My few trips have been pleasant, few customers, mostly courteous and respectful AND shopping alone.
The two and threesomes seem absolutely out of touch, taking up entire aisle, or space, no regard for others' space.
I saw Waco SiP order indicated only one per household attending essential needs.
Understand that is really tough for a single parent or similar household.
Now understand why it is a consideration.
momlaw
Dad
AG
The Fall Guy said:

I have been good about it till today. Went to the local HEB and they were not doing the line letting people In the store one by one. Thay had the sucker wide open. Aisles were PACKED . Just the checkout lanes were social distancing. Milk aisle was 20 people deep.

I asked a checker at my HEB when the best time to come shopping was as far as avoiding crowds and she said weekdays early in the afternoon. She said the crowds come early in the morning to shop when the store has the most stuff from the over night delivery and then of course evenings and weekends are always busy.
DifferenceMaker Ag
I have had the exact opposite experience in 3 different HEBs since this started in earnest. YMMV I suppose. Austin area for context/
atag
AG
Which store?
proudest member of the fightin texas aggie class of 2005.
DrZ
AG
I think I saw you today. We're you wearing pajamas and drinking a latte?
The Fall Guy
AG
Kyle HEB plus
JCRiley09
AG
We've been getting same day delivery from Instacart in Buda. Don't share that info too widely
Mordred
AG
JCRiley09 said:

We've been getting same day delivery from Instacart in Buda. Don't share that info too widely
We've got a pickup order at HEB in Buda for tomorrow. Wife placed it 4 days ago, although we've been able to add/subtract things from the order.
Max06
AG
combat wombat™
AG
I love HEB but when I have ro shop right now I am goin to kroger, which is closer. And doesn't sound near as crowded as I've heard HEB is.
jakeaggie84
AG
Went to the Katy Costco yesterday at 2pm and it was the most pleasant, least crowded Costco experience I have ever. I think most people go crazy in the mornings, but if you wait until after lunch, they restock, sanitize the carts and only half full of people.

Tip for my texags friends!
wessimo
AG
Amazon Fresh
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
AgInLV said:

Just drove by Buccees in Madisonville and parking lot was jammed. That ain't my game.
Good gosh this is horrible. At some point LE has to step in on situations like this and force crowd control and distancing.
aggiespartan
AG
aggie-beta said:

The Fall Guy said:

I asked a checker at my HEB when the best time to come shopping was as far as avoiding crowds and she said weekdays early in the afternoon. She said the crowds come early in the morning to shop when the store has the most stuff from the over night delivery and then of course evenings and weekends are always busy.
This. I let the crazy people go in and do their stuff before I even think about leaving the house.
Sublette County
AG
I can't tell what's real and what's a troll anymore.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
The Fall Guy said:

I don't understand this. Is everyone seeing this type of stuff? I was at the grocery store tonight and it was fairly empty. Got most of everything I wanted. Not stressful. No chaos, no lines. This is North of Fort Worth.
The Fall Guy
AG
I have been before this last week and it was organized. No problems. The county went into shelter in place yesterday so I guess everybody came but they opened the whole store open again instead of the crowd control they were doing this last week. They had signs that said less than 10 to an aisle. There were some with 20 people plus in the aisles. I went at 3PM. I have been at home working for a week. I have gone to Dollar General and Walgreens for items and no crowds.

I have never had a panic attack in my 46 years of life. I don't know why I had one today. Couple beers helped.
buffalo chip
S
SRBS said:

This is a bad b*tch
Perspective...

Worldwide,there are just under 150,000 deaths per day from all causes. Just under 14 MILLION so far this year. Again, from all causes... The USA has 4.25% of the world population, and roughly that percentage of the daily deaths from all causes.

Not trying to diminish the impact of COVID-19, just providing perspective...
PFG
AG
Quote:

The curbside pickup at HEB has been booked up four or five days in advance.

How is this a problem? If a person/couple/family can't plan for 5 days of food....

Every 5 day grocery run to curbside is perfectly acceptable.
cowenlaw
AG
It's a 2-week wait for a curbside appointment in San Antonio.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
SRBS said:

This is a bad b*tch

More than 300 children die per hour due to totally preventable circumstances (often malnutrition, globally).

To me, there's no more noble use of society's resources than to save a child. Yet we're willing to collapse the world for coronavirus.
valtosca
AG
cowenlaw said:

It's a 2-week wait for a curbside appointment in San Antonio.
Check different locations. My Blanco/1604 HEB is about a week
Cant Think of a Name
AG
Feeling crowded? Just start coughing a lot. They'll move out of your way. Trust me.
TAMUallen
AG
Cant Think of a Name said:

Feeling crowded? Just start coughing a lot. They'll move out of your way. Trust me.

Or wear a surgical mask and gloves if you have them.

People will think you're infected and flee
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.