Aggie Medical Professionals: We want to tell your story

4,155 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by gomerschlep
WatchOle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
AG
TexAgs,

If you are an Aggie medical professional (doctor, nurse, pa, health admin, etc.) on the front-lines of the response to Covid-19, we want to tell your story. Our audience wants to know what's going on, how we can help, and how we can be supportive of your efforts.

If you are willing to hop on a Google hangout and share your story, please contact andrew_at_txfilmworks.com and we will schedule an interview with you. If you are too taxed to email, just reply here.

Thank you and God speed!

Brandon
1/2 Man 1/2 Amazing
AG
This is a cool idea TexAgs!
Tailgate88
AG
Allsome.
AndrewstheMAN
Staff
AG
Let's do this Ags. We know that there are tons of Aggies on the front lines of this pandemic doing big things. If you have friends or colleagues share this with them as well.

Andrew
SachseAg
AG
Would be very interesting
WatchOle
Staff
AG
Bump for the night owls.
Ag_07
AG
And many many thanks to all of you on the front lines!

Seriously...We appreciate your efforts and hope and pray you all make it out of this safely.

Thanks and Gig 'Em!!

Not a Bot
AG
Are we keeping real names out of it, or separated from user names, just in case we've done/said dumb things on here in the past? Hypothetical, asking for a friend.
pimplepopper
AG
Mine would be a quick video. Clinic has been dead the last two weeks. Was cleared to go back to work last Tuesday and my office manager said don't bother. No one wants to come in.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aust Ag
AG
What does that mean, "nobody wants to come in"? Do they still get paid?
Tabasco
AG
Aust Ag said:

What does that mean, "nobody wants to come in"? Do they still get paid?
I think they mean no derm patients want to come into their office.
Aust Ag
AG
Best thing I did during this whole thing so far, was going to the Derm about a week and a half ago . I made the appt when my work said they were about to shut us down. He got that icey "blow torch" thing out and did a number on some spots on my face. I hate going because afterwards, I look like I was in a fight with a bear. But since my work has me on lockdown, nobody has to see my hideous appearance!
dermdoc
AG
We are seeing about half of our normal patient load. May drop further this week but right now after confirmation calls still pretty busy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Aust Ag
AG
dermdoc said:

We are seeing about half of our normal patient load. May drop further this week but right now after confirmation calls still pretty busy.
Go get your skin checked now, Ags! Never be a better time to go!
dermdoc
AG
Aust Ag said:

dermdoc said:

Go get your skin checked now, Ags! Never be a better time to go!
I like the way you think.
Pelayo
AG
dermdoc said:

At 30-40% of usual
Legett79
AG
Our clinic is running about 50%. Our hospital system is gearing up for video consults for things other than covid 19 since the other things don't stop. They are also asking for volunteers to help in Er's and ICU's if needed if any previous experience. It hasn't hit here yet with anything like New York or New Orleans, but the general public us not really practicing social distancing either. If the poop hits the fan I will volunteer but since I'm considered high risk not sure my help would be worth the use of PPE that could be used by someone less likely to get severely ill. Talking with my same age colleagues we will wait until we are really needed on the front lines, and try to keep things going for the other illnesses that need help.
Aust Ag
AG
Let's hope it's not needed, and thanks for "holding down the fort" meanwhile.
TexasAggie73
AG
My derm doc postpone my mohs surgery for a potential cancerous mole scheduled for10 days from now. Reason I say potential is that the lab was certain that it was cancerous or not from the sample. The office is in the Woodlands, plus my dentist shut down. Glad my wife retired from medicine. She used to be Chief of Epidemiology for Harris County.
MixyRN
I would love to hear your wife's expert opinion on the current covid19 crisis.
TexasAggie73
AG
MixyRN said:

I would love to hear your wife's expert opinion on the current covid19 crisis.
She says that those in public health have been going through drills for something like this for many years. It's just unfortunate that those in authority don't take something like this seriously until it's too late. Government is more about reacting than being prepared for something that might not happen under their term.
VKint
AG
Very strange. Running 30-40% usual. Actually worked from home and "saw" several patients yesterday. Video and phone visits. Never thought it would happen while I was in practice.
TexasAggie73
AG
VKint said:

Very strange. Running 30-40% usual. Actually worked from home and "saw" several patients yesterday. Video and phone visits. Never thought it would happen while I was in practice.
Did that a couple of days ago with my respiratory doctor for our semi annual CPAP checkup. We used Voom and it work really well.
Fitch
AG
Brandon, have you guys given any thought to a Doctor Tag-restricted thread?
TRADUCTOR
Fitch said:

Let's not put our wonderful doctors in a ring. They are herd protected now.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
Fitch said:

So the thread would just be.

Doctor

Doctor

Doctor

Doctor

Doctor

Doctor

policywonk98
AG
VaultingChemist
AG
I took my daughter for her quarterly appointment with a neurologist for migraine therapy this week, in order to avoid going to ER later on. His clinic had entirely changed their protocols for office visits.....

Waiting room was closed and patients were required to wait in their vehicles for appointments.
The only office entrance was regulated by a security door lock buzz-in video camera.
All staff were using PPE, and patients were required to wear a mask.
Individual treatment rooms had been disinfected and taped/sealed shut prior to patient use.

Kool
AG
Patients do not want to come in to the office, understandably so.
A few staff members do not want to come in to the office, understandably so.
All elective surgeries have been canceled at all facilities, in order to limit the spread of the virus and to preserve hospital beds and PPE for COVID-19, understandably so.

Today, I applied to volunteer for my state's Medical Emergency Response Team. It seemed like the right thing to do.

My staff might be upset with me. My family might get upset with me. But I figure I will only get called if I am really needed, and it will keep me from fighting from posters on Forum 16, anyway. So I did some calculations. Lose, lose, win, win, win = Win.
Or so my Aggie Math would tell me.

Obviously, if I get called and if I get any big COVID stories, I will update.

Stay safe, stay healthy, WASH YOUR DAMN HANDS and QUIT PICKING YOUR NOSES!!!
Reveille
AG
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic we have made many changes to our office. These changes were make to make sure we have a safe place for patients to get the healthcare they need. Their health and safety is our number one priority.
  • The first change is the scheduling, we now only see apparently healthy patients in the morning. If a patient is sick they are told to call the office and we will set you up with an appointment in the afternoon. Do not take any Advil or Tylenol we want to know what your temperature is without being suppressed. If a patient is health and needs a follow up appointment we book them in the morning so there is no apparent sick people in the building at the time they are here.
  • We also now have installed a professional grade ultraviolet light system in the air conditioning system that kills 99.9% of all molds, bacteria and viruses including COVID-19.

• In addition we use professional great ultraviolet light in the rooms after hours to insure the room is completely disinfected so when healthy patients arrive in the morning the rooms are clean and remain clean until the afternoon when sick patients are seen.
  • We also have closed the lobby down. When you arrive at the office instead of going inside the door is locked. There is a sign to knock on the adjacent window. The staff will check you in from that location. They will ask you for cell phone number and what you are here for. You will then return to your car and we will text you when it is your time to come in. This eliminates any possible contact with other patients in the waiting area thus reducing your risk of contracting something from someone else.
  • We have also added virtual visits for certain diagnosis. So if you do not have transportation or you are still too worried to come in, we can now do many things from your house or work. We tell them to please call the office to ask what type of visits can be seen virtually.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
In the pre-hospital( EMS)setting the changes implemented include:

*Performing Covid-19 screening from a six foot distance with N95 mask, safety glasses and gloves on. If patient answers yes to any screening questions, then a mask goes on the patient. Then patient assessment takes place.

*if the patient has a medical condition such as poor oxygen saturation or difficulty breathing that requires oxygen administration or intubation, then we add a gown and face shield to PPE.

*we also limit exposure to other personnel such as fire department and law enforcement having them wait outside to determine if they are needed for the patient.

Thanks to Texags staff and posters for showing interest and providing a place to share stories and support each other. Truly why Texas A&M/college station is like no other place on Earth. Gig Em!

gomerschlep
AG
Our flight volume has completely dropped off. We have ben asked to transfer a few patients into the metroplex but receiving hospitals refused to take them. Our normal trauma related scene flights have dropped off too as there are less people on the roads.

We finally flew our first intubated COVID patient on Wednesday. There is not a consensus as to whether or not these patients should be flown in helicopters at all, but we are. It's an infection control nightmare. We also all live in close quarters at base so now everyone is pretty on edge, as the flight crew that was exposed continues to work until they become symptomatic, at which point they will have already been infectious for a period of time.

I'm afraid things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. As more COVID units go active in the metroplex, we will be taking more of these transfers out of rural areas. They are also building rosters for FEMA deployments. PPE and Decon supplies are very difficult to acquire, as most of it is backordered. We are currently rationing what we can.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.