Spring Break, NYC, Mardi Gras, and Houston Rodeo

7,136 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by TXAggie2011
RandyAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The first three seem to be population dense areas/gatherings where hot spots have arisen. Why has that not been the case with the Houston Rodeo? It went on for over a week before being canceled. I would expect we'd be seeing thousands and thousands of cases in Houston metro by now.
Pahdz
Another event I expected to spread the virus was ConExpo in Vegas, but most people I know who went to that self quarantined for two weeks when they returned.
TXTransplant
Because in the entire state of TX, only 21,424 tests have been done (as of Abbott's press conference the other day)...?

Logic suggests it has spread, there just haven't been enough tests performed to measure.

The entire state of MS, which has a population of 3 million, has 485 cases.

The greater Houston area, with a population of 7 million, only has 420 cases.

jh0400
AG
My wife works for a large clinic in Houston, and they've seen hundreds of suspected cases via telemedicine that are never confirmed due to lack of test availability. This is one small team in a single clinic location. Not hard to get into the thousands of cases assuming what she's seen is representative of the larger population. I tend to believe the low number of confirmed cases is absence of evidence as opposed to evidence of absence.
Federale01
AG
It probably benefitted from the fact that it is a regional event. The rodeo pulls in thousands, but most from the Houston area. The other events pulls in visitors from around the country or, in Mardi gras' case, around the world. If it was in lower numbers in your local population, then there would be less spread if that group gathered than if people from places where it was more prevalent gathered. Just a guess.
Pulmcrit_ag
hopefully by cancelling rodeo when we did we avoided the case-cluster-widespread issue. One person infecting persons on one day at the rodeo, then those persons are infectious days later, and had they then all gone to the rodeo would have infected hundreds. This is broadly speaking. Mardi Gras probably had serial returnees to activities there and extended the spread. We are seeing clusters from the rodeo but hopefully those are curtailed by social distancing that went into effect thereafter.
Ag_07
AG
Because it was shut down before Spring Break when the crowds REALLY get bad.
benchmark
AG
jh0400 said:

My wife works for a large clinic in Houston, and they've seen hundreds of suspected cases via telemedicine that are never confirmed due to lack of test availability. This is one small team in a single clinic location. Not hard to get into the thousands of cases assuming what she's seen is representative of the larger population. I tend to believe the low number of confirmed cases is absence of evidence as opposed to evidence of absence.
This.

Most CV cases are unreported .... symptomatic without visiting clinic, telemedicine, symptomatic but sent home without test to self-quarantine, huge number of asymptomatic, etc.
HotardAg07
AG
Could be as simple as the fact that there were not many people in attendence who had it. Local transmission had not yet been observed I believed and I think only two cases of people who went to the rodeo who were later confirmed to be infected. Both of them are travel cases I believe.
PFG
AG
False. The damage was done. Just not enough testing to show how bad this already is.
TXTransplant
HotardAg07 said:

Could be as simple as the fact that there were not many people in attendence who had it. Local transmission had not yet been observed I believed and I think only two cases of people who went to the rodeo who were later confirmed to be infected. Both of them are travel cases I believe.

If I'm not mistaken, the LEO who went to the rodeo is a case of community spread. He had not traveled. Of course, who knows if he got it and gave it to his companion or if she had it and gave it to him.
rally-cap
AG
My first thought when New Orleans started blowing up was Mardi Gras... my girlfriend and I, along with another couple, were there the for the big Mardi Gras weekend and left the day before Fat Tuesday. I know I heard accents and languages from at least 10 different countries. None of us got sick, and we've been back for over a month, well past the incubation period. But it does have me wondering if I may have already had it and was asymptomatic.
Pulmcrit_ag
Am I misremembering or had the LEO companion returned from having been in New Orleans?
HotardAg07
AG
htxag09
AG
For those saying it's simply not enough testing (which I agree we are way behind on), what about the disparity in the hospital situation?

If the only reason our numbers were lower was simply because we weren't testing enough, we should still have as many people in our hospitals as these other areas. And by all accounts they are on the brink of capacity and supplies. We don't seem to be anywhere near that.

Better hospital system? Responding quicker? Just a few days behind them?
TXTransplant
Pulmcrit_ag said:

Am I misremembering or had the LEO companion returned from having been in New Orleans?

Her case is reported through Galveston County. Their listing of cases in the KHOU website doesn't say anything about her going to NOLA. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, just nothing about it on the website I'm looking at.
cone
AG
Spring Break helped create the ATL outbreak
TXTransplant
htxag09 said:

For those saying it's simply not enough testing (which I agree we are way behind on), what about the disparity in the hospital situation?

If the only reason our numbers were lower was simply because we weren't testing enough, we should still have as many people in our hospitals as these other areas. And by all accounts they are on the brink of capacity and supplies. We don't seem to be anywhere near that.

Better hospital system? Responding quicker? Just a few days behind them?

Anecdotally, I'm hearing that hospitals are keeping a lid on their admissions and not giving info until someone tests positive. So, who knows how many people are hospitalized waiting on a test result.

Also, you've got to expect there are a lot of cases walking around whose symptoms aren't severe enough (yet) to require hospitalization (or even qualify for testing) or who haven't started exhibiting symptoms...yet.
Ag_07
AG
PFG said:

False. The damage was done. Just not enough testing to show how bad this already is.

That's not false.

The rodeo was closed before Spring Break crowds. That's absolutely true.

Testing aside if it were to have gone on into SB it would've been worse.
JB99
AG
Federale01 said:

It probably benefitted from the fact that it is a regional event. The rodeo pulls in thousands, but most from the Houston area. The other events pulls in visitors from around the country or, in Mardi gras' case, around the world. If it was in lower numbers in your local population, then there would be less spread if that group gathered than if people from places where it was more prevalent gathered. Just a guess.

My thoughts as well. SXSW would have been a disaster if not cancelled.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
PFG said:

That was 16 days ago, shouldn't the damage be very apparent by now?
jh0400
AG
It's apparent to the people who are seeing affected patients.
TXAggie2011
AG
jh0400 said:

It's apparent to the people who are seeing affected patients.
I've spoken with several Houston doctors and an epidemiologist, working in different locations in Medical Center and every single one is very nervous and concerned the worst it yet to come.

They've all seen, in various hospitals, the challenge notably ramp up in the past few days and they only expect it to get worse in the coming days.

(Quite sadly, one of them lost a 30 year old patient to the virus a couple of days ago, and that really shook them.)

Of course, they're all hopeful the measures taken recently will prevent the very worst.
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

Hopefully. Its also a situation that when the crowds really pack in for concerts, its a younger crowd, so hopefully that helps.
tkAustinAg
AG
TXTransplant said:

Because in the entire state of TX, only 21,424 tests have been done (as of Abbott's press conference the other day)...?

Logic suggests it has spread, there just haven't been enough tests performed to measure.

This. Either there are not enough tests or they are not being used. One of my co-workers is very sick with respiratory issues, and finally went to the hospital last night. Doctors and nurses wore full hazmat suits and treated her...but did not test.
Aust Ag
AG
tkAustinAg said:

TXTransplant said:

This. Either there are not enough tests or they are not being used. One of my co-workers is very sick with respiratory issues, and finally went to the hospital last night. Doctors and nurses wore full hazmat suits and treated her...but did not test.
That's so weird.
How old is she? Did they just "Send her home"?
tkAustinAg
AG
Aust Ag said:

tkAustinAg said:

TXTransplant said:

That's so weird.
Yep...just sent her back home. She is in her early 40s...no health issues (that I know of). This is her 2nd trip to the ER and they have treated and released her both times. Hazmat suits for the doctors and nurses...but no test.
SkiMo
AG
tkAustinAg said:

Aust Ag said:

tkAustinAg said:

TXTransplant said:

That's so weird.
Yep...just sent her back home. She is in her early 40s...no health issues (that I know of). This is her 2nd trip to the ER and they have treated and released her both times. Hazmat suits for the doctors and nurses...but no test.
What the hell did they treat her for? Just some oxygen and release?
Fitch
AG
There's clearly not enough tests. The counts on all the websites out there only "confirmed" but anecdotes abound about people not getting tested but having symptoms.

If this thing does deteriorate, which is a guess only at this point, the apparent surges would be in early April.
AvidAggie
AG

(Quite sadly, one of them lost a 30 year old patient to the virus a couple of days ago, and that really shook them.)

Just awful. Hate to hear that, especially as a 30 yo
Loco84
AG
One thing that has helped limit spread in Houston is our lack of a robust mass transit system. Also think elected officials shutting things down fairly quickly and our weather are factors. Still expect a significant peak in the next few weeks but nothing like NY.
MBAR
AG
Federale01 said:

This has to be a good portion of it. I've been to several rodeos and while they are crowded, it was NOTHING like being on Bourbon street during Mardi Gras.
AvidAggie
AG
Houston Rodeo has been shutdown for 15 days. Wouldn't we have already seen the surge by now?
JP_Losman
AG
~90% of test results have come back negative thus far in Texas.
So yes there are a lot of anecdotal but 90% are likely negative.

Aust Ag
AG
JP_Losman said:

~90% of test results have come back negative thus far in Texas.
So yes there are a lot of anecdotal but 90% are likely negative.

I'd like to know what the 90% actually turn up as, flu, pneumonia, or just allergies or whatever?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.