SXSW

3,710 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by kylerbess
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking back, this now looks like it was a very good decision.
aquaboss98
AG
Same with Rodeo Houston
Gig 'Em '98

Newoldarmy
AG
Yeah, I would've probably made the wrong call on SXSW.
PJYoung
AG
New Orleans first case was 13 days after Fat Tuesday.

Mardi Gras had 1 to 1.5 million visitors every day partying and now they are about to be a disaster zone.
The Brazos Kid
Yeah, and I was supposed to be in Louisville KY right now along with 75,000 attendees who are mostly truck drivers at the Mid America Trucking Show.

Kinda glad it wasn't scheduled for 3-4 weeks ago. Can you imagine that many folks critical to the supply chain congregating for 3 days then dispersing all over the country?

Think Mardi Gras/New Orleans - what Louisiana is dealing with now.
Mordred
AG
Newoldarmy said:

100%. Glad I didn't get a chance to be stupid.
p_bubel
Missing Fiesta in San Antonio, but that would have been a disaster. Around 3 million people partake over 2 weeks.
McJulie-O
AG
I was surprised to hear that >25% of SXSW attendees are from outside the US, so they would have had ample opportunities to bring COVID-19 with them from the Far East, but also the perfect opportunity to take it all over the country and world after being exposed in Austin.....

it cost Austin about as much economically as a city hosting the Super Bowl would reap, but at least the epidemiologists are not tracing genetic trails through SXSW Austin exposure.
RCR06
AG
We'll never know what would have happened, but I think most would agree we would probably be looking at something worse than it is today.
Shoefly!
AG
I haven't heard any news from South Padre, I wonder how bad it is down there?
agdaddy04
AG
Maybe everyone was just acutely aware, but I was in Vegas a couple of weeks ago for ConExpo and there were 130,000 attendees at the trade show plus dinners and bar visits - haven't heard of anyone that came back infected. I'm sure there has to be someone though.
94chem
aginlakeway said:

Not even a difficult decision. Very easy. Been obvious for over 3 weeks where we were headed.
94chem
Mordred said:

Newoldarmy said:

100%. Glad I didn't get a chance to be stupid.

Not stupid. But sometimes you just gotta get the B.A.'s in liberal arts out of the room so the people who understand math can make a decision. The liberal arts people and lawyers can run things most of the time, but sometimes they need to step aside and let the numbers speak. They can resume running the world once the crisis passes.
Aust Ag
AG
Shoefly! said:

I don't think SPI is going to be an issue, as probably 90% went back to their hometowns throughout Texas. Find that Ft.Lauderdale "heat map" .
PJYoung
AG
Shoefly! said:

38 cases as of yesterday in the RGV. I know of at least 1 on SPI.
jefe95
AG
Been thinking about this today.

How many NBA games? NHL games? NCAA basketball conference tourneys? That first NASCAR race weekend when all cancelled? Hundreds of thousands of people from all over the country stayed within their county at least.

I've been pretty negative about the math and models being used. But the numbers of people at the events that were cancelled is a very large number. Maybe that helps us more than we will ever be able to calculate.

And by the way. That was essentially 3 Saturday's ago
kylerbess
SXSW????
BadMoonRisin
AG
aginlakeway said:

Yep. I will go on record as thinking that canceling this event was an over-reaction, but knowing what we know about NOLA know, it seems that i was 100% wrong.

Ketchup for the crow? or Nah?
agdaddy04
AG
What's the question?
jefe95
AG
South by Southwest.

Big music and social festival in Austin every year.
kylerbess
Thanks
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.