Brother cannot get tested in Houston

6,648 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by MediAg13
Desert Power
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey TexAgs, my brother lives in houston and is 28 yrs old. His roommate had suspected coronavirus but everywhere refused to test him. He had symptoms lasting over a week and is now just barely starting to feel better.

My brother is starting to have significant chest pressure and fever with cough. He called many places across Houston and he either got a response that he would not be tested, or that they refused to see him. This seems unreal to me that he cannot even make a doctor appointment to rule out possible coronavirus with pneumonia.

What are his options? I'm afraid that they are just basically waiting for him to get bad enough to require hospitalization and then they will deal with him. Can anyone help out a fellow Ag in Houston. Anyone know of a doc or place in Houston that would possibly see him?
Shoefly!
AG
County hospital.
Rapier108
Has he tried the screening tool so he can go to the drive through testing site?

https://www.readyharris.org/

Edit: If he does decide to go to the hospital, tell him to NOT just walk into the emergency room. Call them and tell them he is coming/outside so they can put on PPE and meet him. Same if he calls 911, although that should be only if absolutely necessary. If he has any kind of face mask or something else to cover his nose and mouth, he should put it on before interacting with medical personnel.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Desert Power
AG
Rapier108 said:

Has he tried the screening tool so he can go to the drive through testing site?

https://www.readyharris.org/

Edit: If he does decide to go to the hospital, tell him to NOT just walk into the emergency room. Call them and tell them he is coming/outside so they can put on PPE and meet him. Same if he calls 911, although that should be only if absolutely necessary. If he has any kind of face mask or something else to cover his nose and mouth, he should put it on before interacting with medical personnel.
Thank you for the advice, he said he has already visited that website and told him he did not have enough symptoms.
TXAggie2011
AG
My understanding from a doctor in Houston is you can take that survey every 24 hours or something like that. Make sure he knows that in case he develops more symptoms or whatever criteria he is "lacking", for, well, lack of a better term.
Cable0790
AG
If he is having problems breathing seek medical attention. Testing is secondary concern.
"Why don't you make 10 one louder?...This one goes to 11"
Desert Power
AG
thank you guys. I told him he shouldn't be seeking any kind of care tonight if he's breathing fine. Last thing he wants to do is spend all night up in a waiting room with possibly mild symptoms. I told him most important thing he can do right now is to stay hydrated and get a full night's sleep. I mentioned that if he starts getting worse and is having difficulty breathing he needs to be seen by someone, anyone.
RebelE91
AG
If he gets worse and needs to go to the hospital he should call ahead so they know he's coming and reduce his time in the waiting area.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
If you don't already have CV, the best way to give yourself CV is to go to an ER right now. We are currently seeing more CV than any other issue combined. If he feels he doesn't need to go to the ER, he should be self-quarantining and assume that he does have it. Testing is of minimal concern in most of these individuals as the disease is already wide spread.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sq 17
in case you have not seen the reports Tylenol is being recmmended in some reports
do your own research but some studies are showing people with complications had been taking nsaids
JB99
AG
They aren't going to test you unless you are sick enough and need to be admitted.
astros4545
AG
Do not take fish tank cleaner
CDub06
AG
NextLevel urgent care in the area is doing virtual screenings and drive thru testing. Might be worth reaching out to them.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Similar issue happened with my son. He's 5. They didn't test for it. They just told me he has a very contagious respiratory virus and that we need to go home and stay there for multiple days after the fever had broken.
htxag09
AG
These are the story's that really make me scratch my head. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with not giving the tests. Sure, we should have enough to test everyone with symptoms. But we don't, so if someone isn't having difficulty breathing and can stay home and recover, just do that.

However, how are these testing requirements so stringent yet we're at like 5% positive rate? Tests inaccurate, testing politicians, their friends, other rich people?
bay fan
S
I think we have tests now in most population centers but it's the personnel involved that we are short of. I really think there has to be a way to count these purposefully undiagnosed cases.

I worry your brother is having a hard time breathing. Don't let that get too bad without medical attention.
BBRex
AG
I have a friend here in Houston who had similar trouble. She had some breathing issues flair up, so her doctor told her to go to the ER. While she waited for hours, her breathing cleared up. They did give her the test, and she's still waiting for results. She's been sick for two weeks.
Dad
AG
htxag09 said:

These are the story's that really make me scratch my head. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with not giving the tests. Sure, we should have enough to test everyone with symptoms. But we don't, so if someone isn't having difficulty breathing and can stay home and recover, just do that.

However, how are these testing requirements so stringent yet we're at like 5% positive rate? Tests inaccurate, testing politicians, their friends, other rich people?

I wonder the same thing. The OP's brother sounds like he has it so I think he needs to be tested.

My mom is 70 with a cough and she went to the doctor thinking she had a sinus infection and they tested her even though her symptoms do not line up with covid other than the cough because of her age. I would bet $100 that her test is negative.
walton91
bay fan said:

I think we have tests now in most population centers but it's the personnel involved that we are short of. I really think there has to be a way to count these purposefully undiagnosed cases.
We are still woefully short on test kits. Dallas County, which has the most cases in the state by far, has two public drive through testing sites. As of yesterday each site can test a max of 250 people
BusterAg
AG
We don't have enough tests.

Every test given to a person with mild to moderate symptoms is another set of gloves and masks that can't be used to treat people in life threatening circumstances.

If he is having trouble breathing, call the ER, tell them he is short of breath, and go there. Otherwise, chicken soup and couch.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Another case of no testing here in houston. 5 days after our family began our self isolation/work from home, myself and both kids showed fevers just shy of 101. wife went down the next day. On day 8 (3/25) of continued 101 fever, plus intermittent shortness of breath, muscle and joint aches, headache, burning sensation in the lungs, chest tightness and occasional sharp pain on deep inhales (none of these severe, probably around 4s and 5s on a 0-10 scale of severity), my PCP tells me to go to the ER or Urgent care to get tested. I called ahead just to make sure and the nurse hotline tells me i don't qualify for testing due to no confirmed exposure and no recent travel so unless i feel i am bad enough to be admitted to the ER, to stay at home and continue self isolation. next day my wifes breathing goes down hill and due to being pregnant she goes to the stand alone ER down the street (supposed to be a much better experience than the Memorial Herman ER) and due to the sign on the door that says they don't do COVID testing they are completely empty. Turns out they do have a few tests a day, and just reserve them for Dr. discretion. She got tested but it was her day 8 and she had been fever free for 48 hours so we will see what it shows (that was last night). We really didn't care about the test since we were already self isolation but how is anyone ever going to be able to answer "yes" to the "known exposure" question if we don't actually test anyone? i would have thought a whole family having fever for 7-8 days plus symptoms that could be COVID, that began after 5 days of isolation would be a prime candidate for testing.
Jackal99
AG
Damn. That's scary. How old are your kids, and how are they doing? I have a 7-year old, and I'm more concerned about him getting it than I am about me.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Jackal99 said:

Damn. That's scary. How old are your kids, and how are they doing? I have a 7-year old, and I'm more concerned about him getting it than I am about me.
20 months and 3.5 yrs. other than the fever they are showing zero symptoms. the only reason i even checked fevers on day 1 was because the 3 y.o. snuggled up to me and felt warm. to date (this will be day 10 if we show fever today) they have shown no signs other than the fever. we keep asking them if they feel ok and the 3 y.o. keeps proclaiming confidently that she feels all better and isn't sick anymore. they are just thrilled that mom and dad feel sick so they get to watch more tv than normal
Aggieangler93
AG
They won't test you if you are not in their age profiles for the most at risk. Everyone else, even if you have all the symptoms, aren't being tested around here. That's goofy to me, but if we don't have any tests, then it is what it is. The problem is, some folks that have all the signs, are still continuing to go out and infect others, even knowing they may have it, just because they don't have the test positive result.

I ran into an ******* like this at my Doctor's office earlier this week. He had a mask on, but he clearly had it. It scared the hell out of me.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Texaggie7nine
Jackal99 said:

Number of cases of children under 10 with CV that needed hospitalization is quite below 1% and even further down for death. I realize any parent will naturally be scared of any illness for their child, but data suggests that the actual threat to their welfare, even if they acquire it, is very minimal. I would feel comfortable in saying that your child's welfare is under a much more significant threat from the regular flu than CV.
7nine
Jackal99
AG
Good to hear.
Jackal99
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Jackal99 said:

Number of cases of children under 10 with CV that needed hospitalization is quite below 1% and even further down for death. I realize any parent will naturally be scared of any illness for their child, but data suggests that the actual threat to their welfare, even if they acquire it, is very minimal. I would feel comfortable in saying that you child's welfare is under a much more significant threat from the regular flu than CV.
Thank you. We are taking all the proper precautions regarding isolating, etc, and my wife and I are both working from home, so I'm fairly confident he'll be okay. My wife is more concerned than I am, so this is good information.
John Francis Donaghy
Texaggie7nine said:

Jackal99 said:

Number of cases of children under 10 with CV that needed hospitalization is quite below 1% and even further down for death. I realize any parent will naturally be scared of any illness for their child, but data suggests that the actual threat to their welfare, even if they acquire it, is very minimal. I would feel comfortable in saying that your child's welfare is under a much more significant threat from the regular flu than CV.

This is less true for young children, especially infants under 1 year. Studies are starting to come out that show young children to be more susceptible to severe symptoms than older kids and teenagers. I think I remember seeing a severe symptom rate of 11% for infants under 1 year.

Edit: Found the article from AAP:

Quote:

The study also found infants had higher rates of serious illness than older children. Just under 11% of infants had severe or critical cases compared to 7% of children ages 1-5, 4% of those 6-10, 4% of those 11-15 and 3% of those 16 and older.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/03/16/coronavirus031620
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Jackal99 said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Jackal99 said:

Number of cases of children under 10 with CV that needed hospitalization is quite below 1% and even further down for death. I realize any parent will naturally be scared of any illness for their child, but data suggests that the actual threat to their welfare, even if they acquire it, is very minimal. I would feel comfortable in saying that you child's welfare is under a much more significant threat from the regular flu than CV.
Thank you. We are taking all the proper precautions regarding isolating, etc, and my wife and I are both working from home, so I'm fairly confident he'll be okay. My wife is more concerned than I am, so this is good information.
here's the latest update from the CDC, its a bit old but paints the picture

Texaggie7nine
Ya under 1 should be in their own category really. I was just addressing his concern for his 7 year old.
7nine
KidDoc
AG
I was yelled at twice for "refusing" to test kids with symptoms yesterday. I am not refusing and I don't think "your kid is not important" we simply do not have enough test kits to test people that aren't critically ill. Please remember it is not the doctor being a jerk it is a limitation of current resources.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Jackal99 said:

This is less true for young children, especially infants under 1 year. Studies are starting to come out that show young children to be more susceptible to severe symptoms than older kids and teenagers. I think I remember seeing a severe symptom rate of 11% for infants under 1 year.

Edit: Found the article from AAP:

Quote:

The study also found infants had higher rates of serious illness than older children. Just under 11% of infants had severe or critical cases compared to 7% of children ages 1-5, 4% of those 6-10, 4% of those 11-15 and 3% of those 16 and older.

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2020/03/16/coronavirus031620
was about to post this study. also worth noting from it though is that of the 2,143 kids included (1/3 lab confirmed cases, the rest suspected) only 1 death occurred.
Mattowander
AG
This is the kind of story people need to think about when you look at our testing numbers here in Texas (and throughout the entire country). The number of actual cases is probably several times greater than the number of confirmed cases.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
As an aside and back to the OP topic, if you are in the West Houston area and feel the need for an ER visit but aren't positive you need to be admitted and don't care about COVID testing, Sacred Heart ER at bunker hill is a good alternative to the hospital ER. That's where my wife went yesterday and they are set up PPE wise to handle COVID cases, but due to advertising no testing, they are basically empty. When she got there, she was the only person there and walked in and went straight back to a room.
Texaggie7nine
Mattowander said:

This is the kind of story people need to think about when you look at our testing numbers here in Texas (and throughout the entire country). The number of actual cases is probably several times greater than the number of confirmed cases.
Which is especially true for kids, who are known to be less symptomatic.
7nine
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.