Story Poster

Coates: We're dealing with a different animal than we've ever seen

March 25, 2020

Key notes from Dr. Louis P. Coates interview

• I listen to the GO Hour just about every day since y'all began. It's a staple here. I listen to other segments during breaks in between patients as well.

• We're dealing with a different animal than we've ever seen in our lifetime in medicine. People like to compare this to the flu, but this thing is way more contagious than the flu. With the flu, people feel sick. This disease has 80% asymptomatic patients running around, living their lives normally. People are out in public without knowing they're sick. If you have a change in taste or smell, that's a sign you might have it. Stay up. The other 20% are becoming extremely sick. Those people need to be hospitalized, and we don't have the facilities for that. 7% of patients need ventilators. With the flu, there is a quick test. There isn't one of those yet, and there is no vaccine. With no vaccine available, everybody is at risk.

• The other problem is that there is no clear treatment. We have some encouraging leads to some drugs for treatment. We need to start mass-producing those things to keep people out of hospitals, or we will be in a crisis.

• In Texas, we're in a good place as far as numbers of cases. We're about two weeks behind New York, and we started isolating way before they did.

• We, as scientists and doctors, are trying to find things out. People with Type A blood are getting it about 10% more than Type O blood.

• Everybody out there needs to do what they can to strengthen their immune systems. Get your health up as high as you can get it. There are some vitamins that can help you as much as possible. These things are kind of experimental, but we're looking at how other viruses have attacked to get a better understanding of this.

• Doctors have made all kinds of changes. In my office right now, we don't see potentially sick people until the afternoon. Even then, we're seeing a lot of people who might have coronavirus through telemedicine. We don't have our waiting rooms open anymore. Everyone waits in their car until it is there down. Our staff is all wearing masks now and taking extra precautions. I believe most offices around the state are doing similar things.

• I really appreciate the State of Texas taking away a lot of restrictions around telemedicine. Luckily most of that stuff has been waved.

• If we're going to prevent this from spreading like in other states, we have to make sure our patients are healthy, and their immune systems are as healthy as possible so they can fight this thing without going to their doctor's office.

• We're starting to run out of certain drugs that can help people fight this thing. We have to find a way to produce these pills until we can develop a vaccine. I'm not talking millions of pills. I am talking hundreds of millions of pills.

• A lot of vaccines take 5-7 years before they are approved, but they've cut through a lot of red tape, and maybe we're 12-18 months from a vaccine.

• For 20 years, I have shaken every patient's hand. We're doing elbow bumps and all of that now instead.
Discussion from...

Dr. Coates (Reveille): We're dealing with a different animal than we've ever seen

14,625 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by PPlayboy87
74OA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
"The other problem is that there is no clear treatment. We have some encouraging leads to some drugs for treatment. We need to start mass-producing those things to keep people out of hospitals, or we will be in a crisis."

"We're starting to run out of certain drugs that can help people fight this thing. We have to find a way to produce these pills until we can develop a vaccine. I'm not talking millions of pills. I am talking hundreds of millions of pills."

What is it going to take to kick-start mass production? Federal endorsement and funding? I wonder if by the time sufficient exquisitely detailed data is collected to satisfy the approval protocols we will have lost many, many lives who might have been saved and tipped our economy into depression. Is our insistence on perfect knowledge the enemy of good enough in this race against time?
Gabe Bock
AG
Thanks to Dr. Coates for joining us today. A ton of info in about a 10-minute window.
boulderaggie
AG
Gabe Bock said:

Thanks to Dr. Coates for joining us today. A ton of info in about a 10-minute window.
A true hero.
BigOil
AG
I hope frivolous malpractice lawyers don't pee on the parade 6 months from now (or sooner)...
MFS86
AG
Gabe - big thanks to you and staff for having Dr Coates on. I'm up here in NJ and his information helps me process all that is going on. God bless Dr. Coates!
KidDoc
agforlife97
hoodlum98
MasterAggie
AG
Gig 'Em Doc!!!
10thYrSr
Great Information! Thank you so much Dr. Coates!

PPlayboy87
AG
Boom!

Thank you and your staff, Dr.

We will get through this together!
dshedd41
S
boulderaggie said:

Gabe Bock said:

A true hero.
Gig’em Aggies!
Reveille
AG
PPlayboy87 said:

Boom!

Thank you so much for the masks. We are using them and they were very needed. Thanks again.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jograki
AG
Great info, thank you Dr Coates! Your Facebook updates are excellent.
jetescamilla
Bondag
AG
If the tests are a nasal swab would a saline nasal rinse do anything to prevent the virus from taking hold?
Pasquale Liucci
AG
Doc better never pay for a drink again in Aggieland when we get all this behind us. God bless you
Reveille
AG
Bondag said:

If the tests are a nasal swab would a saline nasal rinse do anything to prevent the virus from taking hold?
Not likely as even after you wash there is still plenty of virus there. But for the sake of a more accurate test I wouldn't recommend doing it until after the test is complete.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggierogue
AG
Hello Doc,

Do you recommend any supplements for strengthening the immune system?

Vitamin C?
Zinc?

Are there any supplements one would need to help absorb Vitamin C, etc?

Thanks for what you're doing.
Reveille
AG
I am currently taking zinc, Quercetin, vitamin c and melatonin. Green tea also looks to be an ionosphere of Zinc so it will likely have benefits!
aggierogue
Reveille
AG
Reveille said:

I am currently taking zinc, Quercetin, vitamin c and melatonin. Green tea also looks to be an ionosphere of Zinc so it will likely have benefits! Remember Zinc is positively charged ion and can't get into the cell so taking these supplements will theoretically open up a few doors to help it get in.
EastSideAg2002
Wow. I pass your office everyday for work. Gig'em!

Can you explain the reason for melatonin? I did not find the reasoning behind this one.
PPlayboy87
AG
Reveille said:

PPlayboy87 said:

Boom!

Thank you so much for the masks. We are using them and they were very needed. Thanks again.

You are most welcome, sir!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.