astros trade dotel

6,615 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieBill005
agdaddy04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
for beltran

[This message has been edited by agdaddy04 (edited 6/24/2004 8:18p).]
Ziggy Sobotka
AG
dont you mean dotel and buck for Beltran?

What does this do to the Stros lineup?

I am confused, I know Beltran is a badass but does he fit in the lineup? Who sits?
Frok
AG
I think its obvious Lane will be the man that sits down. This trade shows that the Astros are going for it all this year.
agdaddy04
AG
i would assume that lane would sit
BQ2001
AG
I like it. I just hope they put Biggio in right. That left field corner is tough and I think Lance has it down pretty good.
Not Over There
biggio does not have the arm to play right field. his arm is less of a liability in left.
WoMD
BQ, you must know nothing about baseball or have never seen biggio play the outfield or both. putting biggio in right field would be the stupidest thing they could do.
Seven Costanza
AG
So you only get Beltran for the next few months, right? Do you think the Astros have any plans to pay him the $12 million per season that he will demand in the offseason?
agdaddy04
AG
so do yall think that lidge will now be the closer?
Not Over There
i doubt astros will try to sign him after this season. he's going to try to break the bank in the free agent market and i doubt mclane will pony up the money to compete with the big boys.
WoMD
oh btw, we told all of you we should get beltran months ago and all of you said it would never happen.
hah! we layed this out exactly as it's happening. hidalgo being traded freeing up money for beltran. hopefully we can sign him instead of merely being a rent a player.
we really needed this jolt in the field though. the astros look kinda dead lately.
Not Over There
no doubt lidge will be the closer. there's nobody else on the pitching staff who is better suited to be the closer than lidge.
WoMD
cutting out hidalgo will free up the money that could potentially be enough to sign beltran. let's hope this is in the works...
BQ2001
AG
I watch them just about every night. I know he isn't the best out fielder (or close even)but I watch lance play the bounces off that wall and I would hate to see Biggio try and learn that at this point in the season. Just my thoughts. And lance doesn't have that great of an arm, for what that is worth.
Not Over There
what's the contract status of both oswalt and miller?

[This message has been edited by Not Over There (edited 6/24/2004 8:30p).]
BQ2001
AG
Miller is just signed through the rest of this season http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/index.php?sport=bsball&type=transandnotes&name=2642

Oswalt is signed though 2004 eligible for arbitration
http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/index.php?sport=bsball&hssport=&type=playernotes&name=player_3472
Dre_00
if biggio moves to right, i will **** a brick. you might as well give the division away. the only thing that worries me is that the bullpen gets weaker than it already is. yeah lidge can probably close but who's gonna get him the ball? miceli? maybe, but even if he can, you hate having just one guy you can count on. jimy better start letting his starters go deeper in the game.
Not Over There
i have a feeling that we're not done dealing yet. hunsicker pretty much said during the game tonight that this is the year to go for it all.
Whoop04
So, what will be the lineup tommorrow. The first 3 assume that Jimi want to alt. L R L for late inning RPs. They also assume everett will bat second.

A
1-bigg
2-everett
3-bags
4-berkman
5-kent
6-beltran

B
1-bigg
2-everett
3-beltran
4-bags
5-berkman
6-kent

C
1-bigg
2-everett
3-beltran
4-bags
5-kent
6-berkman

Betran has speed. This may be what the lineup looks like.

D
1-bigg
2-beltran
3-bags
4-kent
5-berkman

I think A is the most likely, at first at least until Beltran gets his feet wet in the NL. Then Jimi will probably play with the order all year and have something finalized in time for the playoffs.

Just give me what I came for, then I'm out the door again
WoMD
why do you have bagwell so high??? it is obvious that they have decided that he doesn't belong there anymore (which i've been saying for awhile now).

biggio
everett
beltran
berkman
kent
bagwell
everyone else

or rotate 3 4 and 5

biggio
everett
berkman
kent
betran
bagwell
paradox183
quote:
cutting out hidalgo will free up the money that could potentially be enough to sign beltran.
Not completely. Cutting out Kent after the season would take a huge step in the right direction.
Frok
AG
Where else would you put Biggio? Right field is the most reasonable considering left field is tough to pick up in the middle of the season. Biggio is less of a liability in right field than he is in center. This will be a good move for him and the team.

Meanwhile, KC just traded Dotel to Oakland. So its good to see him go to another winner.
Dre_00
why not beltran second to utilize his speed and give him protection in a new league? everetr is having a good year but i don't think he's married to the #2 spot.

biggio
beltran
berkman
kent
bagwell
lane or ensberg depending on what they do
everett
ausmus

I just realized that we have yet another killer b...
Dre_00
quote:
Biggio is less of a liability in right field than he is in center

your right, with kent on the team, there is no good spot on the field for biggio but he is much more of a liability in right then center. have you seen him throw? while right would help mask his range probably it doesn't get rid of it.
WoMD
here's another idea. put beltran fourth because of his speed. if we go 1-2-3 in the first, we have another lead-off man to lead off the second. it would be like a rotational line-up. speed at the top and in the middle. i don't like beltran at second for the sole reason that he has pop and can drive in a lot of runs. putting him after berkman would be great because of how often berkman walks.

just some thoughts...
mm98
AG
Have it already been confirmed they will not put Biggio back at 2nd and move Kent to 3rd?
Seven Costanza
AG
Knowing Jimy Williams, you'll probably see a 4 man platoon with Beltran, Berkman, Biggio, and Lane sharing equal time in the outfield.
Frok
AG
Can we trade managers as well?
Dre_00
thats a rather pessimistic way of looking at it but i see your point. you don't like putting a guy with power that high but you also don't want to put a guy speed that low (imo)...whatever happens, he needs to bat in front of berkman to get some protection.
Not Over There
i like beltran in the 3 spot followed by berkman and kent.
Dre_00
does anyone see a gluttony of players here now? do you think we could see a trade of ensberg, lamb or lane for some middle relief? after all while our offense is better, we have a shakier bullpen.
redline248
AG
nothing has been confirmed as far as positions go. The most likely scenario is Biggio to left, Berkman to right and lane back to the bench. Biggio has played left field before (at minute maid) so I think that is fine. Kent would most likely ***** about going to 3rd.

I like this lineup:

Biggio
Everett
Beltran
Berkman
Kent
Bagwell
3B
C
P

Everett is a solid #2 since he sacrifices well. Beltran's power fits more in the 3rd slot.

and one more thing...****ing A we got Beltran!
WoMD
lidge is going to get a chance tonight to prove himself as our new closer, so let's hope that he handles the change in pressure better than dotel did.
redline248
AG
I also forgot to talk about pitching. I think Miceli can get the job done as the setup man, and Harville is ok. I read that Hunsicker wants another lefty in the pen. I don't know who else is to trade though, cuz if we get rid of Ensberg we have crap defensively at 3rd. We can't move Lane b/c Beltran is likely not going to resign in Houston.
WoMD
maybe we can trade bagwell.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.