Default Aggressive - Why Stanford Won

6,407 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Phog06
Knoxville_Ag_08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Top of the 5th - 2 outs - full count - Moss hits a grounder to right with Haas 1st and taking off on the pitch. Conservatively held at 3… K for Werner inning over

Bottom of the 5th - Campbell triples to deep right on what should have been a double and scores.

Holding Haas is the antithesis of sending Campbell. Campbell's triple ignited his team - gave them confidence and swagger.

Aggressive plays pay off more than just a base - it changes mentalities, gives momentum and confidence. In a 1-1 game it makes (made) all the difference.
dermdoc
AG
Stanford won because they were better than us. They have much more talent.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiebrad94
AG
Not bunting Kaufer was the turning point IMHO
HoustonAggie37713
Stanford is a really good team. I don't have an issue with losing to them.

But for them to play an early game, have very limited pitching, and then run us 20-6 in the final two games.....disappointing. This was for a Super against the sips. Where was the emotion? the dawg? The heart?
FTAG 2000
AG
Knoxville_Ag_08 said:

Top of the 5th - 2 outs - full count - Moss hits a grounder to right with Haas 1st and taking off on the pitch. Conservatively held at 3… K for Werner inning over

Our runner was barely to third by the time the right fielder threw it in.

Would have been out by a country mile.
dabo man
AG
We lost by 8 runs Sunday and by 6 runs yesterday. These were due to our mindset? Really? They look more like ass-kickings to me.
carl spacklers hat
HoustonAggie37713 said:

But for them to play an early game, have very limited pitching, and then run us 20-6 in the final two games.....disappointing. This was for a Super against the sips. Where was the emotion? the dawg? The heart?
Ags were playing with house money, no doubt. In my opinion, the last two against the Cardinal boiled down to Stanford scratching out clutch hits while the Ags couldn't. There were opportunities there last night that the team just couldn't capitalize on.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Wabs
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Critical point in the game IMO. Plus the fact that they brought in a guy that just threw 114 pitches on Friday. What do we do? Swing at the very first pitch for a GIDP. Max can be faulted for that, but then again the young kid really did well in the SEC tourney and the Regional. Can't wait to see how he progresses next year.
greg.w.h
AG
HoustonAggie37713 said:

Where was the talent is a fair question. But there is zero doubt we saw the coaching up in a season where we had a more difficult campaign especially the pitching.

Dirty came through with an admirable closing effort in a year when SEC umpires forced him to change his game because his sinker is a key pitch and fooling both batters and umps with it was how he got strikes.

While I like the idea that emotion should have carried the team, you have to recognize what the real shortcomings were. And as Derm said: they were better and won a series with us within the regional head to head 2 of 3.
aginlakeway
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Knoxville_Ag_08 said:

Our runner was barely to third by the time the right fielder threw it in.

Would have been out by a country mile.

Yep. Our runner would have likely been caught in a rundown actually.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
jt16
AG
I also understand that Schloss doesn't like to bunt, but when you have a nine hole hitter, batting 175 and can't run, for the love of God learn to lay down a bunt
aginlakeway
AG
dermdoc said:

Yep. It's that simple.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
PGAG
AG
I don't care who their coach talked to about running that pitcher out there again after a Friday outing with 114 pitches. Having him throw again for an extended period is coaching malpractice imo.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
OP must have missed the season where we routinely had double steals, stole 3rd base, hit and run, scored multiple runs from 1s base on a hit, etc. Not being aggressive enough is absolutely NOT a problem with a Schloss team. We have even scored runs from 2nd on a base hit to LF that many other teams would hold the runner at 3rd.

Stanford was better. Most have them in the CWS and many in the CWS Finals.

We are not a CWS team this season, and not a Top 16 team in the country either, but we are a Top 25 team and really good and capable of beating anyone when we played our best baseball.
B-1 83
AG
You throw the ball
You hit the ball
You catch the ball

When 2 of the three aren't very good, you usually lose.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
MSFC Aggie
AG
dermdoc said:

This.....and the umpteen pop ups.....and unclutch hitting. If not for Haas in the first Stanford game, there probably wouldn't have been a game 7.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Seen a lot of ball and can't remember a triple down the right field line that was cut off and never made it to the corner or wall. That's inexcusable.

Finished the season strong and ready to see the Ags in Omaha again.
jt16
AG
dermdoc said:

I agree Stanford is obviously the better team. But I don't think they have much more talent. I think they are a little more talented but the divide is a little closer. I just think a lot of our talent underperformed this year
fieldtrailer
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Seen a lot of ball and can't remember a triple down the right field line that was cut off and never made it to the corner or wall. That's inexcusable.

With Minnich out, no arms at all in outfield.
TX_Aggie37
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Can't believe he let a .180 hitter try and hit... unreal to not bunt there with the top coming up.

Also I would've walked Moore to pitch to Bowser when he homered. Was typing the text "I would walk him" to my buddy when he hit the bomb.
CrocsAg20
AG
For a team that was so aggressive on the base paths during the year, it's puzzling that there was very little aggression during the regional
HoustonAg2106
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

I legit thought there might be a chance to get him at second with how hard it was hit and how quickly Jace got to it. To not even get a tag on him at third was horrible
TexasAggie81
greg.w.h said:

HoustonAggie37713 said:

Where was the talent is a fair question. But there is zero doubt we saw the coaching up in a season where we had a more difficult campaign especially the pitching.

Dirty came through with an admirable closing effort in a year when SEC umpires forced him to change his game because his sinker is a key pitch and fooling both batters and umps with it was how he got strikes.

While I like the idea that emotion should have carried the team, you have to recognize what the real shortcomings were. And as Derm said: they were better and won a series with us within the regional head to head 2 of 3.

Let's hope Schlossnagle "coaches up" during the offseason.
Sq 17
aginlakeway said:

dermdoc said:

Yep. It's that simple.
And Tree played well limited walks , very few fielding errors clutch hitting
dabo man
AG
If I had to pick a single reason Stanford won, it's because their staff went through five games over the regional and were still painting corners at the end of it all. The performances they got last night were outstanding (albeit painful).
woodometer
AG
The team looked tired to me. I think the 9 games in 11 days took its toll. The SEC tournament is too long and perhaps it should be changed to all single elimination.
TAMU1990
AG
The almost slam was a huge moment. Being up 8-0 would probably be a win for us in the end.
Lance Uppercut
AG
The throw got to their infielder a second after Haas got to third. It would have been an aggressive send to the point of recklessness and would also assume you're trying to win a one run game (because you're more than likely ending a 3 run possibility for 1 unlikely run making that decision).

Couple that with our most aggressive swings in counts where we were ahead leading to pop-ups and the fact that they scored enough runs with home runs to outscore us even with all "non-aggressive" decisions accounted for, and I don't think it's because we were playing scared.

I actually agree that we should have bunted Kaufer. Eliminate the double play and move some people into scoring position. But Kaufer had 0 sacrifice hits on the year, so it's possible Coach knew better than to ask based on his own information. The team had 2 SH all year, and if we're being honest, most people applauded the staff for that decision.

I thought the lineup and the pitching decisions were about right given the personnel. And despite a good start from Dettmer (which was above the mean for this season), they hit and pitched better than we did. Sometimes you play a team that played better than you did and has good players people on it. I'm not sure why everything gets Disney Channeled and refined down to "we didn't want it the most" or "we weren't aggressive" or "we weren't mentally prepared". As if no one on the team thought to make the big speech in the locker room or think to pay attention in the biggest game of their baseball careers to this point.

AggieCrew44
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

dermdoc said:

This.....and the umpteen pop ups.....and unclutch hitting. If not for Haas in the first Stanford game, there probably wouldn't have been a game 7.
What's crazy is if Haas's foul ball HR went fair we are up 8-2, we throw our better arms, and likely sweep the regional. Baseball is an amazing but cruel sport
HoustonAg2106
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't hunter's ball hit the wall in foul territory, not go over it?
AggieCrew44
AG
Maybe it did I don't quite remember honestly. But the point still stands. The margins in this game are so small between winning and losing sometimes.

I knew when we lost the Sunday game we were likely sunk. We gave an extremely talented team all the momentum and confidence in the world
sharpdressedman
dermdoc said:

phatty26
I knew in the Sunday night game when we left runs out there in the first inning we were ****ed. We couldn't hit with two outs the remaining 18 innings. Stanford was better they hit the ball and put it in play. I can assure you if minnich was healthy and I right field Campbell would've been out by 30 first. He still should've been out terrible relay by bost.
Southlake
Send the runner around 3rd. Make them make a perfect throw.

But, they were a better team.

I'll enjoy watching Quinn shut down the sips.
aginlakeway
AG
Southlake said:

Send the runner around 3rd. Make them make a perfect throw.

But, they were a better team.

I'll enjoy watching Quinn shut down the sips.

Really?

You mean the perfect throw back at 3rd base after they got him in a rundown? He was barely at 3rd base when the CF threw the ball.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.