Looking Back / Looking Ahead

8,169 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Aggies2009
Gap
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Our guys fought their tails off down the stretch of the regular season and in the SEC and NCAA Stanford regional. Kudos to the players and coaches for not throwing the towel in during the middle of the regular season when they were struggling and making the post season was in doubt.

I think our team played above their head toward the end of the year. The pitching staff had so few reasonably reliable pitchers. The batting order has too many guys that didn't put the ball in play enough or pop up at too high a rate to hit for a decent average or OBP.

Our Program "GM" needs to have a better off-season and build a roster than has a better chance to succeed next year. Plenty of work to do in that department. I love the grit and fight to win Schloss' two Aggie team have shown especially as the season gets more meaningful at the end. We will likely see lots of new faces next year all across the roster to give us a better chance to be elite.
PatriotAg02
AG
Gap said:

Our guys fought their tails off down the stretch of the regular season and in the SEC and NCAA Stanford regional. Kudos to the players and coaches for not throwing the towel in during the middle of the regular season when they were struggling and making the post season was in doubt.

I think our team played above their head toward the end of the year. The pitching staff had so few reasonably reliable pitchers. The batting order has too many guys that didn't put the ball in play enough or pop up at too high a rate to hit for a decent average or OBP.

Our Program "GM" needs to have a better off-season and build a roster than has a better chance to succeed next year. Plenty of work to do in that department. I love the grit and fight to win Schloss' two Aggie team have shown especially as the season gets more meaningful at the end. We will likely see lots of new faces next year all across the roster to give us a better chance to be elite.

Yep, the last couple of weeks were the exception. Would have loved to see what the season would have been like if we played the whole thing at that level
bullard21k
AG
If we don't add 2-3 proven veteran arms that includes a Friday night ace we didn't do our job this offseason imo. This was the worst pitching we've had in a long time and quite frankly never seen an entire staff have control problems we experienced this year. Starters, bullpen, Tuesday night guys it didn't matter not a single pitcher could consistently throw strikes and get outs in 2022.

I love Schloss and yeskie and absolutely think they are the right men for the Job and will get us there…but the honeymoon is over. We greatly overachieved last year and drastically underachieved this year. It's time to start building a national caliber program

goose91
AG
This team was #4 and. #7 in preseason polls. This season was a disappointment.
Texagsubscriber
Bad luck after this tweet.

NATTY OR BUST. BUST IT IS.

GIVE ME NATTY, OR GIVE ME BAS!!!
FightinTexasAggie28
Who comes back. You know Minnich, Boast, Thompson, Dillard, and Lambert are gone.

I assume Dettmer to the draft I don't know does he need to prove more?

Werner? I know he's supposed to be very talented but has he shown enough, I know he's a close one.
Moss, does he need to come back and show power.
Hass? Good player but good enough?
Tragac? Generally no clue

Don't know much about what guys should stay and go anyone else know much
He’s a Fighting Texas Aggie and he just don’t give a damn
HeyAbbott
AG
Got to revamp our pitching staff first and foremost for next season if we want to get back to Omaha.
W
AG
this season showed the importance of hosting a regional --- the importance of being in the top 16

the Ags need to play better in the first 6 weeks of the season to increase their chances of hosting

it's difficult to play catch up in the RPI in April & May. It worked in 2022. Not so much in 2023
trouble
AG
Given the players we lost, we should never have been ranked that high.
Wicked Good Ag
NIL will change a lot for roster management going forward. However when it comes to MLB DRAFT you need to have leverage. And with Covid year going away after next year for almost all players we will see what happens. That said I think we lose quite a few position players to draft, eligibility expiring and transfer portal.

We need two starting arms in the starting rotation at a minimum

As for this season. Every time you end the season with a loss it is disappointing but they played hard all season and played well down the stretch. Something to build on but I expect only three position starters that were in lineup this season to be starting next season honestly.
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

this season showed the importance of hosting a regional --- the importance of being in the top 16

the Ags need to play better in the first 6 weeks of the season to increase their chances of hosting

it's difficult to play catch up in the RPI in April & May. It worked in 2022. Not so much in 2023

Lamar, Portland, Portland, and UTSA - win those games against bad teams and we're in the hosting discussion. I still think we need to upgrade our non-conference weekends. We played exactly one (1) regional team on a weekend this year (Texas Tech.). That's terrible. No one else on our weekend schedule even contended for post-season play.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
trouble
AG
A lot of these kids don't want the bull**** that is minor leagues though. The tide is starting to shift and they are coming to college instead.

Hopefully, that continues to happen
Rule#2
AG
Look on the bright side. We won't be pre-season #5 next year. That never seems to work out for Texas A&M in anything.

Only kidding…..kind of.

But really, there were some really fun times this season. I especially enjoyed the SEC tournament. I found myself pretty darn frustrated more often than I should have been, but hey, sometimes baseball be like that.

Excited to watch some of this young talent in the future. Laviolette, Kaufer, Sdao. It was a fun one boys. See y'all next year.
cougarpride
Prager will return, right? That will help
ChemEng94
AG
This off-season Is going to be interesting. We need a huge influx of talent. Everyone is commenting on pitching, but our offense this year was really poor as well.
Sea Pony 07
AG
Yes, Prager will be back.
W
AG
I agree

need to pick two good non-conference opponents and play weekend series
Wicked Good Ag
trouble said:

Given the players we lost, we should never have been ranked that high.

I have to disagree on this. We had 2/3 of our starting lineup back and added Haas and The Violence

We lost Rock Claunch and Koler

Added the two above. That should have been enough to not have a drop off
ContinentalAg
I have heard that LSU is throwing absurd NIL at baseball and is making it tough to get the elite portal guys. Hopefully we can get some more cash infused into our baseball NIL program.
Sea Pony 07
AG
It would also be helpful if we could get out of the minute maid tourney since we always get stuck with Rice.
TyperWoods
Texagsubscriber said:

I dont like that we lost, but Im happy not to play the sips.
Sea Pony 07
AG
But we also lost good Moo, Prager for the year and Palish.
jkag89
goose91 said:

It always amazes me how much stock some place on preseason polls.
trouble
AG
Losing Dallas and Palisch was also huge.

Losing Claunch AND the guy from Cincinnati retiring unexpectedly completely changed things.
jkag89
TyperWoods said:

Texagsubscriber said:

I dont like that we lost, but Im happy not to play the sips.
What an absolutely inane take.
_mpaul
AG
goose91 said:

Not a good argument. Baseball preseason polls are notoriously worthless. This season may have been a disappointment, but regardless of the polls instead of because of them.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Sea Pony 07
AG
trouble said:

Losing Dallas and Palisch was also huge.

Losing Claunch AND the guy from Cincinnati retiring unexpectedly completely changed things.

Losing Micah was a big loss in team leadership as well as pitching.
trouble
AG
People seriously underestimated the role he and Troy had leadershipwise last year.
W
AG
yes, I would pass on all the round-robin tournaments
MSFC Aggie
AG
_mpaul said:

goose91 said:

Not a good argument. Baseball preseason polls are notoriously worthless. This season may have been a disappointment, but regardless of the polls instead of because of them.
Wasn't Ole Miss #1?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Look, NO one hates to lose more than I do, but I'm not going to get overly emotional over something as trivial as a sports event. The preseason expectations by others are largely to be dismissed. We'd never accept them if we were unranked, so why bother with them if we finish lower than where they put us? Those are based almost exclusively on last year's performance and some on who's returning. Our expectations for this program should be the CWS every year, not a ranking, so yes, not getting there is disappointing. And tonights (and last nights) game was also disappointing.

However, if you had told me 2 months ago that we'd have a 2-0 record in the regional of the 8th seed (with no more information and no further guarantees), I'd have taken that. Not where we need to be, not then or now, but remember this: we've had MUCH better teams -- before and after the Super Regional era -- lose at this point in the NCAA tournament.

I feel better about this staff learning from what went wrong this season and fixing the issues than I have at any point since I've been following Aggie baseball.
Gap
AG
W said:

I agree

need to pick two good non-conference opponents and play weekend series
I'd be a fan of this.
Wicked Good Ag
trouble said:

A lot of these kids don't want the bull**** that is minor leagues though. The tide is starting to shift and they are coming to college instead.

Hopefully, that continues to happen
They dont want the BS of minor leagues?

They may stay longer in college and the marignal draft slevction may opt to stay for NIL $$ but the top 5 rounds draft pics are likely going when they have leverage because the sigining bonus can be 100s of thousands more with leverage then without

If they wait to leave after senior year those who can are still going to the minors but at a fraction of the signing bonus they would get as a junior

Like I said NIL will change certain things but not for the players at the top rounds of the draft

trouble
AG
I'm tired. I meant high school kids are choosing college over the minor leagues.
Wicked Good Ag
trouble said:

I'm tired. I meant high school kids are choosing college over the minor leagues.
Agree completely with that other then the very top
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.