This team finished with a very respectable couple of weeks...

4,793 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by aginlakeway
Ol Sarge Friday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Try not to pour decades worth of Aggie Athletics frustration out on them.
Ol Sarge Friday
That's baseball. Can't soften it with a nice bowl win. It always ends the same. If it was ever gonna be any different, it would have been in 1989.
Ol Sarge Friday
edit: deleting a response to a post that is no longer there.
SilverTongueDevil
Not an awful season by any means. Did we meet #6 pre season expectations? No. But we won a lot of series against good teams, had a nice sec tourney run and were in drivers seat for regional before a couple of losses vs a very good team at their place.

That being said it just seems none of our athletic programs deal well with lofty pre season expectations.
kyledr04
AG
Shattered hopes and dreams forever. You'd think we'd stop caring. Maybe one day.
nu awlins ag
AG
Should have bunted earlier in the game with the runner on first, twice. You have to put pressure on the pitcher and defense. Had the opportunity tied 1-1 and didn't take advantage of it. I just don't get it. You HAVE to create the scoring chances. Good season but extremely disappointing end when all you needed was one win….
cords12

That's not why your posts have been deleted and you know it. - STAFF
William_C_G
AG
The Ags did a lot better than I expected after we lost the first game Against Mississippi State. We were in danger of not being chosen for the NCAA tournament. But we did a great job in game after game until Stanford played lights out for two games at their home.

Thanks Ags for a fun and frustrating season!
W
AG
for what it's worth...this was the program's best "season after Omaha" year

1994 -- missed postseason

2000 -- missed postseason

2012 -- lost in loser's bracket game of regional

2018 -- lost in loser's bracket game of regional

2023 -- played in regional championship game
TempleAg97
AG
EVERYTHING has and will be better with Schloss. Last year was by far our best-ever showing in Omaha. I would be surprised if we don't win a national championship or get very close to it.
kyledr04
AG
We have the best shot we've had in ages across all three major men's sports. But won't believe it until I see it.
cords12
Most CWS teams lose a ton of talent to the draft or graduation. This team returned most of that batting lineup and added one of the best freshman hitters in Aggie baseball history! The pitching was bad this season, but that veteran lineup let us down tonight.
cords12
I love your optimism! We lose nearly half of this lineup and I see one recruit we have in the top 10 in Texas, while Arkansas and LSU have multiple. Not being negative Nancy, just being a realist
TxAg76
AG
cords12 said:

I love your optimism! We lose nearly half of this lineup and I see one recruit we have in the top 10 in Texas, while Arkansas and LSU have multiple. Not being negative Nancy, just being a realist

Half the lineup??
From what I'm seeing we should be noticeably stronger, particularly on the mound where we struggled the most.
That is, unless we see some unexpected portal activity outbound
TempleAg97
AG
cords12 said:

I understand what you are saying, but I have been a diehard A&M sports fan from birth (my dad is class of '72) and I've never had more faith in a coach then I do in Schloss. He's a guru, a savant. He's elite. Don't worry about names. With Schloss, we will have a legit chance to reach Omaha every year.
Serious Lee
transfer portal. if nolan cain is as good as they say he his, several of these guys should not be difficult to replace.
dixichkn
AG
kyledr04 said:

Shattered hopes and dreams forever. You'd think we'd stop caring. Maybe one day.
Here's the key……..hang in there. I'll be 57 years old next month. I'm not gonna live forever obviously. And since the sports gods have decided to sh** on me until I shuffle off this mortal coil……. the Ags will win not one, but two natties, probably football/baseball, immediately after I'm gone.

Just to spite me.
Picadillo
Lots of teams would have traded places with us. In another region, who knows how we would have done. Stanford was a buzz saw.
Warsteiner
TxAg76 said:

cords12 said:

Half the lineup??
From what I'm seeing we should be noticeably stronger, particularly on the mound where we struggled the most.

Not trying to be an ass here, but how do you see us being noticeably stronger? Our pitching was awful. Our hitting was meh and we lose a lot of our lineup
Luke The Drifter
AG
Two words for you: Transfer Portal

tmaggies
AG
Unfortunately this was a disappointing season with preseason hype and returning talent. They struggled all year and came together at the end of the season but to realistically expect more in the playoffs was not in the cards. Hoping for a great team next year. I do think we have the right Coach to win though.
McInnis
AG
At the end of the day Schloss ran out of bailing wire and chewing gum. It's tempting to think "what if Fullerton could have gotten one clutch hit Sunday?" But realistically this team went as far as we could expect considering not having one reliable starting pitcher all season.

Those games that Wansing and Lampkin threw in the SEC Tournament were fool's gold after all. I'm sure Schloss is going to do his best to figure out what went wrong with pitching this year and how to fix it.
RED AG 98
AG
Still can't believe that CSF sac bunt...
twk
AG
cords12 said:

Most CWS teams lose a ton of talent to the draft or graduation. This team returned most of that batting lineup and added one of the best freshman hitters in Aggie baseball history! The pitching was bad this season, but that veteran lineup let us down tonight.
I think the lesson to be drawn here is not so much that this year's lineup underachieved, but that last year's lineup overachieved. Schloss worked a miracle last year. We were going to need a talent upgrade to duplicate last yea's results and it just didn't happen. I don't know if there is a single SEC team that made the NCAA tournament who would have traded rosters with us this year.
carl spacklers hat
Anyone paying attention throughout the season saw this turned into a patchwork job. Inconsistent pitching and hitting were the hallmarks of this team and that ultimately caught up at Stanford. For a team that a month ago people were projecting to miss the post-season, I think they squeezed everything out of the season they could. Made the SEC T final and the Regional Final which on May 1, most here would have been very pleased with.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Agryan00
Warsteiner said:

TxAg76 said:

cords12 said:

Half the lineup??

Not trying to be an ass here, but how do you see us being noticeably stronger? Our pitching was awful. Our hitting was meh and we lose a lot of our lineup
Really!!! Schloss is in his second year. Not sure you noticed but TCU just stomped Arky this weekend. You going to give all the credit to Saarloos? This program was poor shape when Schloss got it and he still has a long way to go. The only run we got last night came from a Freshmen Schloss managed to pull away from LSU. A&M finally has a real coach. Give him some time and I believe we will be regulars in Omaha.

Also, how many other coaches could of got us as this far given the start to the season and this pitching staff?
WallyWonka
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Should have bunted earlier in the game with the runner on first, twice. You have to put pressure on the pitcher and defense. Had the opportunity tied 1-1 and didn't take advantage of it. I just don't get it. You HAVE to create the scoring chances. Good season but extremely disappointing end when all you needed was one win….

With your 9 hole hitter up, I was thinking the same thoughts. You can always second guess. Looking back now, obviously Schloss should have tried that. However, that is not the way he operates and that's not what got us there to that point.

Schloss is a great coach and you know the competitor in him is kicking himself right in the nuts. When you loose, it eats at you and you replay the game in your head. He probably has several decisions he's second guessing right now.

Jarrin' Jay
AG
Stanford was better. Most have them in the CWS and many in the CWS Finals.

We are not a CWS team this season, and not a Top 16 team in the country either, but we are a Top 25 team and really good and capable of beating anyone when we played our best baseball.

Good season, not a great season, and I would think this would be a normal "bad/disappointing" season under Schloss.

The irony of the last game, we have been waiting seemingly all season for a quality start from Dettmer, in his most important game he delivered, we just didn't do enough on offense with the bats. We may not have needed to score 10+ to win, but 1 run wasn't going to win it.

Will still enjoy the CWS, just a lot less without aTm in it.

Rerack for next season, the future looks great for Aggie baseball.
TAMU1990
AG
McInnis said:

At the end of the day Schloss ran out of bailing wire and chewing gum. It's tempting to think "what if Fullerton could have gotten one clutch hit Sunday?" But realistically this team went as far as we could expect considering not having one reliable starting pitcher all season.

Those games that Wansing and Lampkin threw in the SEC Tournament were fool's gold after all. I'm sure Schloss is going to do his best to figure out what went wrong with pitching this year and how to fix it.

It was tempting to think what if Haas had that slam in the 1st inning on Sunday.
twk
AG
TAMU1990 said:

McInnis said:

It was tempting to think what if Haas had that slam in the 1st inning on Sunday.
For me, the real "what if" is, what if Dettmer had started Sunday and given us similar results? Sunday was when Stanford was most vulnerable. That was a really difficult choice to make.
MagnumLoad
Take away the protection that Rock and Claunch provided, and you get the averages that Targ and Bost had this year. I did not foresee that. Minnich injuries were the final straw.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
Complete Idiot
We had a whole season to confirm we were pretty mediocre in the SEC, had a surprising week in the SEC tourney that gave us a lot of hope, but returned to season form in the regional.

Our SEC ranking in team BA and team ERA had us around 14th and 9th, respectively. Pretty ugly. YET, we found ways to win a lot of SEC series, with some unfortunate sweeps, we found a way to make a run in the SEC tourney, and we found ourselves 2-0 to start a road regional against a top 8 national seed host.

So part of me feels "pretty genius to get those results with our team BA and our starting pitching nightmare" and part of me feels "why did some vet's drop their BA 100 points, why did we hit so poorly as a team, why could we not get more from the starting pitchers we scouted and brought in?". We lost Prager and a catching transfer, Minnich and Werner battled injury, but I still expected better.

Overall, disappointing season relative to my FAN expectations, which are homer based and perhaps unrealistic, but I still have unwavering faith in Schloss and the program's future.
Aggies2009
AG
Agryan00 said:

Warsteiner said:

TxAg76 said:

cords12 said:

Half the lineup??

Really!!! Schloss is in his second year. Not sure you noticed but TCU just stomped Arky this weekend. You going to give all the credit to Saarloos? This program was poor shape when Schloss got it and he still has a long way to go. The only run we got last night came from a Freshmen Schloss managed to pull away from LSU. A&M finally has a real coach. Give him some time and I believe we will be regulars in Omaha.

Also, how many other coaches could of got us as this far given the start to the season and this pitching staff?
I don't disagree, but how long is the "cupboard was bare" going to last? Three years? Four?
dabo man
AG
I think the SEC tournament and regional showed us what the offense would have been if we'd had any kind of starting pitching this season (last night being an exception). It's hard to grind out ABs for walks and put any pressure on the pitcher when your guy is passing out free bases like Pez.
Aggies2009
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Overall, disappointing season relative to my FAN expectations, which are homer based and perhaps unrealistic, but I still have unwavering faith in Schloss and the program's future.
It wasn't just homerism- publications had us in the top 5 to start the year lol
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.