Scouting Report on Cal State Fullerton

7,207 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by fightintxag13
AggiesinNC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
31-22 (20-10 in Big West, 11-12 in Non-Conference)
3-7 in their last 10 games
7-7 against RPI top 50
RPI = 65

Games - 53
Runs - 324
Batting Average - .274
On-Base Percentage - .371
Slugging - .401
Home Runs - 34

Pitching
4.94 ERA
8.72 K/9 Innings
529 Hits in 477 Innings
trouble
AG
They ain't the CSF of old. They are a good team but I think we play them well.
cs69ag
AG
I guess they play that left coast small ball stuff, so we need to be ready for that.
RED AG 98
AG
I know you said CSF but here's quick look at each:

RPI
15 Stanford
29 A&M
65 Fullerton
104 San Jose

ELO
12 A&M
15 Stanford
84 Fullerton
91 San Jose

Just as a reference, Mississippi State, who didn't make the SEC tournament much less the postseason, is sitting at RPI 51 and ELO 47. Stanford won't be an easy out at all; their numbers are pretty much in line with the teams in the SEC we just played for 6 days straight.

I doubt Stanford throws their #1 guy against San Jose. It will be interesting to see who we give the ball to for CSF. I would be tempted to save Wansing for Stanford in game 2. Trouble is we don't have a great option at #2. I'd love to see Lamkin get the ball but a true frosh starting game 1 of a regional just doesn't happen all that often. No idea on Dett. Of course he has the stuff but I don't know man. What about Johnston starting game 1?
DallasAg 94
RED AG 98
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

That's your idea of a scouting report?

Posting their record?
thanks for your contribution, unless I just missed it
agforlife97
AG
cs69ag said:

I guess they play that left coast small ball stuff, so we need to be ready for that.
They have 34 total HR as a team, so looks like you're correct. None of their stats on the mound really jump out at you either.
pirmag
AG
SOS is 60
they are half-way between Texas State and Sam Houston state in RPI
agforlife97
AG
RED AG 98 said:

I know you said CSF but here's quick look at each:

RPI
15 Stanford
29 A&M
65 Fullerton
104 San Jose

ELO
12 A&M
15 Stanford
84 Fullerton
91 San Jose

Just as a reference, Mississippi State, who didn't make the SEC tournament much less the postseason, is sitting at RPI 51 and ELO 47. Stanford won't be an easy out at all; their numbers are pretty much in line with the teams in the SEC we just played for 6 days straight.

I doubt Stanford throws their #1 guy against San Jose. It will be interesting to see who we give the ball to for CSF. I would be tempted to save Wansing for Stanford in game 2. Trouble is we don't have a great option at #2. I'd love to see Lamkin get the ball but a true frosh starting game 1 of a regional just doesn't happen all that often. No idea on Dett. Of course he has the stuff but I don't know man. What about Johnston starting game 1?
It will be really interesting to compare ELO/RPI when you see who makes supers and the CWS. I think this draw is a lot more favorable to us than many seem to think.

I think our rotation will have to be Wansing/Lamkin/Johnston personally.
twk
AG

From reading some game notes, looks like their number 1 pitcher is left hander Stultz.
aggie orbitalwelder

Saved
powerbelly
AG
cs69ag said:

Not as much as you would think. Less than 1 sacrifice bunt a game.
twk
AG
Their top three hitters, Connor, White, and Nankil, are L, L, R, respectively
twk
AG
FWIW, a post on the Rant says that our first game will be 9 p.m. CST on ESPN2.
Scotty Appleton
CSF beat the sips 2 of 3. Lost 2 of 3 to Stanford & TCU. Decent pitching. They won game 1 of each of those series and held those teams to a combined 8 runs in those games. So, without looking too much their #1 guy Tyler Stutz seems to be pretty good in big games.
Agsttt
twk said:

FWIW, a post on the Rant says that our first game will be 9 p.m. CST on ESPN2.

I thought Friday games were going to be on ESPN+.
AggiesinNC
AG
They beat TCU on May 5th (opening game of a 3-game set losing the next two) with Stultz starting and going 6 innings (7 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 SO): May 5 vs. TCU
RED AG 98
AG
Thanks for posting! SO to BB ratio is pretty good and he's thrown a lot of innings. Otherwise not really seeing a shutdown ace that jumps off the page there or the pen, and I see some very healthy ERAs and averages against. Hope we can touch him up and score a bunch to take some pressure off whoever we throw.
agforlife97
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Thanks for posting! SO to BB ratio is pretty good and he's thrown a lot of innings. Otherwise not really seeing a shutdown ace that jumps off the page there or the pen, and I see some very healthy ERAs and averages against. Hope we can touch him up and score a bunch to take some pressure off whoever we throw.
It will all come down to how we pitch.
kd_95
AG
From ESPN website

pirmag
AG
Quad 1 teams they played are # 15, Stanford (1-2) , # 28, Texas 2-1, # 49, UC irvine (2-1) and # 33, TCU (1-2).

Looks like their Friday guy is pretty good but it drops off from there, as reported above

Their mean Quad 1 opponent RPI for losses was 33.7 and for wins was 28, ~ 31 overall
for reference ours was 14.6 for losses and 15.6 for wins.

They split a pair with USCw and with AZ State as well.

Of their top 9 players as far as number of ABs go, 3 are lefties, including their two highest batting averages ( both around 330). Of the next 3 highest AB numbers among position players, 1 is a lefty.
annie88
AG

Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
fieldtrailer
AG
Hitting and pitching got better this year as weather got warmer. Hope they can adjust to it. Mid 50s at night. That's chilly.
W
AG
Goodwin Field is big

385 to both power alleys

that's one reason CSF plays small ball
McInnis
AG
It looks like they got into the tournament by tying for first in the Big West Conf. The Big West doesn't have a post season tournament so they made it to a regional by taking two of three from conference co-champs Cal State Northridge. With an RPI of 65 I'm guessing they only made it as an automatic qualifier and not as an at large team. But that would mean there's so many AQs this year with teams that wouldn't otherwise have made the tournament that they filled all the 4 seeds with some left over. Is this right?
BCEDAg
AG
Any info on bullpen pitchers for CSF and Stanford?
MagnumLoad
Whoever our best pitcher is should start game 1, period. Have to win game 1. That is all that matters right now.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
HoustonAg2106
AG
MagnumLoad said:

Whoever our best pitcher is should start game 1, period. Have to win game 1. That is all that matters right now.

Agreed, you don't have the luxury of holding your best pitcher for game 2 when you are in the 2/3 seed matchup in game 1
LOYAL AG
AG
Nm
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
jt2hunt
AG
Dettmer
Wansing
Lamkin
Dillard
Tanya 93
DallasAg 94 said:

That's your idea of a scouting report?

Posting their record?

Can you do better?
Tanya 93
MagnumLoad said:

This.

Always throw the best in game one.
McInnis
AG
Sometimes it can be tempting to save your best starter for game two but I don't think I can ever remember either Mark Johnson or Rob Childress doing it. Can anyone?

This year is kind of unique because after a full season there's no clear cut idea of who the best starter is, only a pretty good idea of who it's not.
twk
AG
McInnis said:

Sometimes it can be tempting to save your best starter for game two but I don't think I can ever remember either Mark Johnson or Rob Childress doing it. Can anyone?

This year is kind of unique because after a full season there's no clear cut idea of who the best starter is, only a pretty good idea of who it's not.
You only save your ace if you are the one seed and facing a four seed lacking an ace. We've done it from time to time, but you never do it as a 2 seed.
Wabs
AG
twk said:

McInnis said:

You only save your ace if you are the one seed and facing a four seed lacking an ace. We've done it from time to time, but you never do it as a 2 seed.
This. Kind of like LSU this year. No way they should start Skenes against Tulane.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.