Batting vs Power 5 teams

2,378 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Detective Jake Peralta
Bullpen Chias
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Werner + Targac + Thompson

6 for 64 - .094 BA
3 RBI
32 Ks
TexasAggiesWin
S
HoustonAg2106
AG
Time to make changes
Luke The Drifter
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

6 for 64 - .094 BA
3 RBI
32 Ks

Is that bad?
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
phatty26
Bullpen Chias said:

6 for 64 - .094 BA
3 RBI
32 Ks

Throw bost in there as wells he's sucked
Bullpen Chias
AG
Bost is .237 with 8 RBI and 8 K
Sterling82
Bost was driving the ball deep this weekend and was robbed by great plays on a couple occasions. He hasn't been great but hopefully is coming around. Werner also looked better at the plate. Targac and Thompson show no evidence of improving. I would like to see Kent take Targac's place in the infield and Tucker in for Thompson until they demonstrate they can produce. At the end of the day though, if we can't hold teams below 9 I don't know how great our chances are regardless.
tjack16
AG
At some point you have to go with results over potential. I know Werner has sky high potential but he's not producing.

Unless Werner breaks out this week against the horns and ole miss, you have to make a change
Floorguy
Bullpen Chias said:

Bost is .237 with 8 RBI and 8 K

Feel bad for bost recently. He has barreled some balls well. He will start finding holes.
Floorguy
Sterling82 said:

Bost was driving the ball deep this weekend and was robbed by great plays on a couple occasions. He hasn't been great but hopefully is coming around. Werner also looked better at the plate. Targac and Thompson show no evidence of improving. I would like to see Kent take Targac's place in the infield and Tucker in for Thompson until they demonstrate they can produce. At the end of the day though, if we can't hold teams below 9 I don't know how great our chances are regardless.

Yes
Wabs
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Bullpen Chias said:

6 for 64 - .094 BA
3 RBI
32 Ks

Is that bad?

It sounds bad,
W
AG
it did not get any better tonight

1 for 7 with 4 K's and a GiDP for good measure
Luke The Drifter
AG
I think we need to get our arms around the fact that this is a bad team. I love the dudes on the team and I love all things Aggie baseball...but this is just a bad team. Yea, there's a chance we flip the proverbial switch and we still have a shot at turning things around. But let's be honest. This team is not, in any way, the same as the 2022 team. I'm hoping for the best, but the reality is this is a really bad team from top to bottom.

I hope I'm proven wrong...but you all know I'm right.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
PatriotAg02
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

I think we need to get our arms around the fact that this is a bad team. I love the dudes on the team and I love all things Aggie baseball...but this is just a bad team. Yea, there's a chance we flip the proverbial switch and we still have a shot at turning things around. But let's be honest. This team is not, in any way, the same as the 2022 team. I'm hoping for the best, but the reality is this is a really bad team from top to bottom.

Yep. Spade is a spade at this point. 25 games in now so it's not early. For whatever reason this team doesnt perform.
rathAG05
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

I see good potential for the future with some of our pitching staff, but not this year. I was surprised when Schloss said how long targac's leash is. He has been bad this entire season with little to no bright spots. His at bats are terrible. He constantly watches balls down the middle. Proven to not hit the curve ball effectively. Not. A great fielder. It's just time to try something else.
TulaneAg
The air went out of the stadium when Targac gidp early when we were trying to put together a big inning. He would've ground into another in the ninth if not for an E4.

If I'm on the bench watching him hit .170 knowing I could do better if given the chance, I'm gonna run outta team ra ra at some point. Schloss is going to lose these guys if he hasn't already.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

I think we need to get our arms around the fact that this is a bad team.

There's too much talent on this team to be this bad. There was an interesting discussion on the radio tonight. As there were like four guys in the booth, I'm not sure who said it, but essentially we can be assured that Schloss has more drive and desire for excellence and for results than any of us.

The rest of it was pretty awkwardly phrased to avoid questioning anyone on the current team or the team as a whole, but...

The successful teams that Texas A&M has had have had leaders that bring this same drive to the locker room and demand excellence from themselves and from everyone on the team... something like this.

It struck a chord with me, because it's incomprehensible to me that this roster is, collectively, this bad.
YellowPot_97
AG
dabo man said:

Quote:

I think we need to get our arms around the fact that this is a bad team.

There's too much talent on this team to be this bad.

It struck a chord with me, because it's incomprehensible to me that this roster is, collectively, this bad.

Stage one, denial…..
YellowPot_97
AG
TulaneAg said:

The air went out of the stadium when Targac gidp early when we were trying to put together a big inning. He would've ground into another in the ninth if not for an E4.

If I'm on the bench watching him hit .170 knowing I could do better if given the chance, I'm gonna run outta team ra ra at some point. Schloss is going to lose these guys if he hasn't already.

It's amazing to me that our DH tonight is hitting .170 for the year. I called the dp when he walked up to the plate in the ninth. Only an E4 saved him from it.
It's unbelievable how bad our hitting is. Up and down the roster our avg is trash. We have what, two guys hitting above .300??? Is it the batting coaches?? What is broken?
W
AG
here's a couple of stats that will make a person pull their hair out...

in the 9 games vs. P-5 opponents...A&M has grounded into 12 double plays...and only hit 4 home runs

(and one of those was Bost's homer vs. Louisville to stave off the run rule)

there are 2 reasons for this:

-- bad starting pitching puts the Ags behind early

-- the coaching staff is trying to play gorilla ball with a team that can't slug (.410)

----
this team is actually pretty good at drawing walks and stealing bases. The Ags drew 27 walks vs. LSU & Tennessee and stole 10 bases vs. those 2 teams
AngryAG
Lewd and salacious. Also less filling and not at all satisfying.
Goose06
AG
The difference between this years team and last years team is pressure. Last year there were no expectations. We got hot and we're able to stay hot. This year expectations are high and the pressure is clearly weighing on Werner, Bost and Targac and even Dettmer and they have not handled it. Last night was the first game I've watched in person and Bost at 2B is a problem that I feel like you don't see on TV. His range is very limited. I think texas got about 5 or 6 infield hits and most were due to his limited range. I'd move him to DH and bench Targac.

I'd roll with Moss, Kent, Haas and Werner in the infield and Tucker, Minnich and Jace in the OF. Bost would be my DH. Targac needs a break. Maybe after a weekend off you plug him back in next Tuesday and see what happens.
TMartin

The body language and hanging heads on this team is pretty bad right now. Tooled-up dudes and underwear Olympians need to get back to fundamentals.

I hope recruiting is looking good because there are going to be a lot of players moving on.

I do trust in Schloss.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Goose06 said:

The difference between this years team and last years team is pressure. Last year there were no expectations. We got hot and we're able to stay hot. This year expectations are high and the pressure is clearly weighing on Werner, Bost and Targac and even Dettmer and they have not handled it. Last night was the first game I've watched in person and Bost at 2B is a problem that I feel like you don't see on TV. His range is very limited. I think texas got about 5 or 6 infield hits and most were due to his limited range. I'd move him to DH and bench Targac.

I'd roll with Moss, Kent, Haas and Werner in the infield and Tucker, Minnich and Jace in the OF. Bost would be my DH. Targac needs a break. Maybe after a weekend off you plug him back in next Tuesday and see what happens.

No real argument here from me on the lineup. I don't know about the "pressure" aspect, though. If these guys aren't ready to play at a top 10 in the nation level and can't handle the pressure that comes with that, are they really top tier players? Talent alone doesn't make someone a great player. Knowing how win games against the best of the best plays into that as well. Claunch, Rock, Palisch (sp.?), etc. all had that "it" factor last year. It allowed guys like Moss, Bost, and Minnich to thrive. We have talent...but do we have guys who will come out day after day and just punch the other team in the mouth?

greg.w.h
AG
Slightly warmer weather would help, too.
W
AG
A&M wakes up this morning ranked 182nd in the country in slugging %

8 SEC teams rank in the top 25.

11 teams rank in the top 50.

Vandy is 53rd and Kentucky is 95th.

woof
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
I'm holding out hope that our guys will start to flip the switch, but we're running out of time quickly.

I don't think we really appreciated the magic of last year's run. I know I spent most of 2022 wondering when we'd run out of gas and we just...didn't. Last year's team turned it on around early April and never looked back. This team can certainly do the same, but seasons like last year where the light just turns on and stays on are extremely rare.

I think we're seeing the depths of the rebuild Schloss is undertaking this season. Last year's magic covered up the deeper problems Schloss inherited. He's going to get us where we want to go, but it's going to take time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.