From Destination Bryan:

While Bryan, TX offers a multitude of unique and memorable dining experiences, the newest addition to the Lake Walk area has everyone in the community buzzing with excitement. KanjiSushi is a modern breath of fresh air that provides an elegant approach to both Japanese cuisine and the traditional art of sushi making. Kanji, meaning "to feel" or "to sense" in Japanese, delivers a top-tier, zen-like approach to dining that feels transported from something you might see in Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, or even San Antonio. Their creatively crafted menu consists of many different offerings, but the main reason I came was for the Nigirizushi (chef's signature nigiri sushi) and the Makimono (chef's signature rolls). All of which are crafted using the freshest fish flown in from Japan.

Scallop Ceviche

Our meal started as any delicious meal should, with a round of appetizers. We decided on the spicy edamame, Japanese gyoza, and scallop ceviche. Every app was delicious and the scallop ceviche looked like a dish plated straight out of Netflix's Chef's Table, but the star of the show, was the Japanese Gyoza (a pork dumpling with ginger, hon-shimeji mushroom, scallion, and a spiced soy vinaigrette).

For the main course, we decided to go family-style and share a variety of Nigirizushi and Makimono so that everyone had a chance to try a few different things. After some deliberation and recommendations from our server, Kirk (who was exceptionally helpful in navigating the menu), we ended up going with the Zuke Sake, ****ake Maguro, and Madai Nigirizushi (bottom photo, top right).

As for the specialty rolls, we decided on the Aggieland, Chef Soon's Special, King Kong, Ocean Drive, and the Summer Roll (Kirk's recommendation). As the rolls arrived one by one, it was clear to see the amount of care and precision that was taken into account when crafting what resembled something closer to modern art than cuisine. Every individual bite had its own fresh, unique, and differentiating flavor profiles that provided an experience all on its own. Let me tell you, these are NOT your average San Antonio Rolls from HEB. While all of the specialty rolls were delicious in their way, the group favorite by far had to be the Summer Roll (spiced crab and shrimp, cucumber, and avocado layered with salmon, lemon, pico de gallo, and a spiced citrus vinaigrette).

Going counter-clockwise: King Kong Roll, Aggieland Roll, Ocean Drive Roll, Chef Soon's Special, and Summer Roll

Overall, the entire dining experience from start to finish was impeccable and I highly recommend giving this spot a try for your next date night or special occasion. In my opinion, Kanji Sushi IS the best sushi restaurant in not only Bryan, TX but the Brazos Valley.

Christopher Ortegon '21
Special Events Coordinator, Destination Bryan