Offseason topic: SEC schedule after expansion

1,406 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Luke The Drifter
twk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't want to derail the other schedule thread about this year's schedule (or really, this year's non-conference schedule), but it got me thinking about what's going to happen to the baseball schedule when the sips and sooners join the league. I suspect that we are going to do something like basketball (and like football is rumored to be doing), where we get rid of divisions, have a certain number of permanent opponents, and rotate the rest.

With sixteen team league, we could retain a 10 series schedule by going to five permanent opponents, and rotating the other 10 teams every other year (you'd play five one year, then the other five the next), so that we play a complete round robin in a four year cycle. In a way, this would greatly simply our scheduling, because with the current schedule, I never know which East division teams we are going to play from one year to the next. But, determining who our permanent opponents would be could be a little bit contentious. Texas, OU, Arkansas and LSU would seem to be obvious based on geography. Would we get stuck with Missouri as our fifth, or perhaps we get Mississippi State (as we are rumored to be getting in football)? Maybe they mix it up a bit and we don't get the four closest schools?
cj774
AG
One word: Paragraphs. Use them
twk
AG
cj774 said:

There. Paragraphs. Happy?
Sea Pony 07
AG
Maybe some sort of 4 team pod system? Play your pod and 2 from each of the other pod, then play the other 2 next year. It would mean 9 conference series though instead.
Luke The Drifter
AG
I'm pretty sure I've read where the pod system will not be used in either the SEC or the Big 10 once they get to 16 teams. Of course I can't recall where I read that, but the elimination of divisions seems to be the way these gigantor leagues are heading.

I like twk's idea. It makes a lot of sense and will allow the SEC teams to maintain a strong SoS and build strong RPI numbers. Which, of course, means there's no way the league will adopt the format. :-)

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
dabo man
AG
I don't want to derail this thread, but every time I read about mega conferences and non-revenue sports I become more convinced that we're headed to a system where schools are going to be in one conference for football/basketball and another, more localized conference for everything else. Who knows, maybe baseball/softball will stay football/basketball in the big conference?

Assuming baseball stays in the 16 team SEC, I also like the idea of 4 four team pods. I hadn't realized the idea had faded in popularity, but it makes complete sense to me. Our pod would be Arky/TAMU/tu/OU.
cj774
AG
twk said:

cj774 said:

There. Paragraphs. Happy?

Lol yes!

But back to the topic at hand. I also like your idea and it makes sense. Certainly would help with traveling fans as far fewer fans probably travel for college baseball as opposed to college football or college basketball.
Luke The Drifter
AG
dabo man said:

I don't want to derail this thread, but every time I read about mega conferences and non-revenue sports I become more convinced that we're headed to a system where schools are going to be in one conference for football/basketball and another, more localized conference for everything else. Who knows, maybe baseball/softball will stay football/basketball in the big conference?

Assuming baseball stays in the 16 team SEC, I also like the idea of 4 four team pods. I hadn't realized the idea had faded in popularity, but it makes complete sense to me. Our pod would be Arky/TAMU/tu/OU.

If I was in charge of making the pods, I think this would make more sense:

1. Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Georgia
2. Alabama, Auburn, Florida, South Carolina
3. Mississippi State, Ole Miss, LSU, Texas A&M
4. Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas

To me, that grouping would work well for football, M&W basketball, and baseball. Volleyball and softball get tricky because Vandy doesn't play those sports. Maybe they could do three 5-team pods for VB and SB.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
twk
AG
You don't really need pods for baseball. They were suggested for football because of the old rule (not intended for big time football) that Roy Kramer exploited in order to stage an SEC championship game, which required your league to be split into two divisions that played a complete round robin. Pods were suggested as a way to create rotating divisions, whose membership would change every year, as opposed to static divisions.

There's really no need for divisions at all in baseball, so I don't think pods will be the way we go, especially since the numbers don't work out neatly with our current schedule. If there was some support for playing only nine series, then maybe pods would be the answer, but I don't think that's the case. 30 conference games seems like a good number.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Looks like three words used
nereus
AG
twk said:

Would we get stuck with Missouri as our fifth, or perhaps we get Mississippi State (as we are rumored to be getting in football)? Maybe they mix it up a bit and we don't get the four closest schools?
If they go to that system, I think they will basically pick the 4 most logical ones for each school and keep the schools happy with those picks. Then the 5th team is often going to be someone random just to make the numbers works. My guess is we would get t.u., OU, Ark, LSU, and then whatever makes the numbers work with what is left over.
dabo man
AG
Here are my personal 16 team SEC pods:

1. Arky, OU, TAMU, tu
2. LSU, Miss St, Mizzou, Ole Miss
3. Tenn, UK, USCe, Vandy
4. Auburn, Bama, Florida, UGA
jkag89
Somewhat in jest, somewhat seriously lets have a 15 week conference schedule. Doable IMO if they cut the SEC Tournament and a few midweek contests in order to allow two weekends to prepare for SEC play. , It would be brutal but the fairest way to determine a champion.

It won't even be considered because the SEC Tournament brings in money and will and possibly lower the number teams making NCAAs much like what happened with the B1G when they limited their schedule to conference in '20 because of COVID and way back in the old SWC when it went to home and home conference schedule for the '92 season after the piggies left for the SEC.
twk
AG
jkag89 said:

Somewhat in jest, somewhat seriously lets have a 15 week conference schedule. Doable IMO if they cut the SEC Tournament and a few midweek contests in order to allow two weekends to prepare for SEC play. , It would be brutal but the fairest way to determine a champion.

It won't even be considered because the SEC Tournament brings in money and will and possibly lower the number teams making NCAAs much like what happened with the B1G when they limited their schedule to conference in '20 because of COVID and way back in the old SWC when it went to home and home conference schedule for the '92 season after the piggies left for the SEC.
Besides the money, the problem with not having a conference tournament is that, without the prospect of making a miracle run at the tournament, teams that are out of contention well before the end of the season may decide to play young guys, rather than playing to win, which can skew the outcome of the championship race. Having the prospect of making the tournament keeps the also rans honest.
threeanout
AG
Wish they would go to twelve conference series and drop two non-conference series.
ptothemo
AG
jkag89 said:

Somewhat in jest, somewhat seriously lets have a 15 week conference schedule.
My blood pressure would greatly appreciate it if this doesn't happen. Ten weekends a year is doing enough as is, I can't imagine 50% more of that.
jkag89
Oh come on, you know you would love it.

Don't worry, it won't ever happen.
nereus
AG
dabo man said:

When you look at the CA schools leaving to join the B1G you can understand where this is coming from because that makes no sense for those schools non-revenue sports. It also doesn't seems to make as much sense for some of the smaller conferences like the American, Conference USA, etc.

But the SEC feels different and I wouldn't want to leave the SEC and go back to the SWC with our non-revenue sports.
dabo man
AG
The 16 team SEC is less geographically ridiculous than most of the other realigned conferences, and it has a lot of schools with big AD budgets. Maybe we would be different and remain a conference up and down the sports?!?

I obviously don't know exactly what's going to happen, but I've got a hunch that in ten years, for things like tennis, track and field, swimming, etc, you'll see some kind of resurrected SWC in place. I don't think that A&M or tu will be a part of it (at least for the time being), but I'll be interested to watch it all play out.
Eike Mlko
dabo man said:

Here are my personal 16 team SEC pods:

1. Arky, OU, TAMU, tu
2. LSU, Miss St, Mizzou, Ole Miss
3. Tenn, UK, USCe, Vandy
4. Auburn, Bama, Florida, UGA

This sucks. Mainly because going to the SEC was supposed to put these asshats behind us. Yet they had to follow us tot he sec and **** up everything. I wish tu would go independent spread their toxicity to someone else. They would ruin a wet dream
jkag89
Unfortunately sippie for all their arrogant and overbearing ways does not have the balls to risk going out on their own.
dabo man
AG
My problem with Bevo was always first with DeLoss Dodds (most arrogant whorn ever?) and then Bill Powers (tu president who proposed taking the Big 12 South to the Pac 10).

We have history with tu and Arky going back forever, and I have a lot of respect for that. OU is nothing in baseball (do have a championship though), but I don't see them not being put in the same pod as tu.

And this is all assuming a pod format, which apparently isn't looking likely. It's just the one that I prefer.
dabo man
AG
And when I say "proposed taking the Big 12 South to the Pac 10," the story was he worked out all of the finer details of the move and then told the other 5 schools about it. Imagine the arrogance of an employee of one state to think that he's going to determine the future of two public schools in a different state. Dodds in a nutshell.

This is when Bowtie bolted to the SEC, and I applaud him for it. But that isn't to say that I don't miss the history we've lost.
Luke The Drifter
AG
dabo man said:

My problem with Bevo was always first with DeLoss Dodds (most arrogant whorn ever?) and then Bill Powers (tu president who proposed taking the Big 12 South to the Pac 10).

We have history with tu and Arky going back forever, and I have a lot of respect for that. OU is nothing in baseball (do have a championship though), but I don't see them not being put in the same pod as tu.

And this is all assuming a pod format, which apparently isn't looking likely. It's just the one that I prefer.

Are you talking about the same OU that beat us twice in Omaha last year?

And, if it's possible, I think Chris del Conte is every more arrogant than Dodds. Seriously.

dabo man
AG
OU has committed very few resources to baseball. I don't see them remaining at the top (or anywhere near it) until they do. Just my two cents.
greg.w.h
AG
Play all other teams as frequently as possible.
Wicked Good Ag
You have 15 other teams in the conference

You play 10 year one

You play 10 year two

You play 10 year three

once you play a team at home one season you have off one season and on road one season

(it doesnt have to be in that specific order..it can be away, home off OR home off away, OR off away home etc
W
AG
it is crazy to think...that fairly soon the burnt orange will play its first 3-game series at Olsen / BBP since 1992

it better not be a Thur-Fri-Sat series
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

it is crazy to think...that fairly soon the burnt orange will play its first 3-game series at Olsen / BBP since 1992

it better not be a Thur-Fri-Sat series

Or any sort of split series…
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.