Triple A Baseball Pitch Clock

2,167 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dabo man
Bullpen Chias
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On display tonight on MLB TV and I attended two games over the last two weeks. Games are moving at a great pace. Really like the clock on the pitcher and batter. Results speak for themselves.

*in addition to pitch clock they are allowing challenges on balls (pretty quick deal) and strikes and using larger bases. Pitchers are also limited to two disengagements from the rubber per batter.
greg.w.h
AG
Run without commercials if you really care about time. Problem solved,
Bullpen Chias
AG
greg.w.h said:

Commercials?? That's not what slows baseball games.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Pitchers still need there warm up pitches between innings
EMY92
AG
Our games will be faster next year without Rock. He was a human rain delay. He was very good, but he slowed the game waaayyy down.
TexasRebel
AG
The game isn't too slow.

Stop trying to make chess play like tic-tac-toe.
ironmanag
AG
TexasRebel said:

The game isn't too slow.

Stop trying to make chess play like tic-tac-toe.
Nonsense.

According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
dabo man
AG
They need to put an end to hitters who have to step out and go through a routine between every pitch. Your batting gloves are fine. I'm not talking about stepping out with one foot and resetting. There are guys going on nature strolls between pitches.
Bullpen Chias
AG
dabo man said:

They need to put an end to hitters who have to step out and go through a routine between every pitch. Your batting gloves are fine. I'm not talking about stepping out with one foot and resetting. There are guys going on nature strolls between pitches.

It's a 19 second pitch clock (14 secs with no one on) Batter has to be in the box and engaged 9 secs.

While these feel like "new age" rules, the game moves more like games I watched in the 70s and 80s with a quicker pace of play. It creates an old school feel. I honestly like it.
greg.w.h
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

greg.w.h said:

Soccer figured out a way to not slow the game down via commercial breaks. I highly recommend all other sports adopt it immediately if their true concern is games taking too long. But I will suggest that isn't the true concern.
Bullpen Chias
AG
greg.w.h said:

Bullpen Chias said:

greg.w.h said:

Soccer figured out a way to not slow the game down via commercial breaks. I highly recommend all other sports adopt it immediately if their true concern is games taking too long. But I will suggest that isn't the true concern.

You're not proposing ending commercials as much as you're proposing ending pitchers warming up between innings. I don't think anyone who enjoys baseball wants to see the elimination/reduction of warmup pitches.
Sandman98
AG
dabo man said:

You must hate watching our Ags play.
EMY92
AG
5 hour games are OK when winning. They absolutely suck if you're not.
twk
AG
Sandman98 said:

dabo man said:

'98 team was my favorite. Never lost a game that they played in less than 2.5 hours, which was the vast majority of their games.

I went to Baton Rouge this year with no expectations, much like 2017, and was happy to see the team win, but let me tell you, sitting down the LF corner with our player parents, and having to turn your neck hard to the right for 4+ hours for three straight days was a beating.
BCSWguru
Bullpen Chias said:

greg.w.h said:

Um, the break between innings is about 3 minutes now. Cut a minute from every break and thats 16-17 minutes a game. But TV pays the bills, so nope.
Bullpen Chias
AG
LSCSN said:

Bullpen Chias said:

greg.w.h said:

Um, the break between innings is about 3 minutes now. Cut a minute from every break and thats 16-17 minutes a game. But TV pays the bills, so nope.

MLB playoffs? Yes. Reg season games are 2 mins. Can you get everyone warmed up in 90 seconds? Yes. Now you've cut off 8-9 mins. Helpful? Yes, but for me it's not as much the overall length of games, more pace of play.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

I love the way they battle at the plate and drive up pitch counts. I'm not a fan of the length of time between each pitch. I would like to see the umpires not calling time when requested a lot more often than they currently do. That's true for MLB and the NCAA.
greg.w.h
AG
Bullpen Chias said:

LSCSN said:

Bullpen Chias said:

greg.w.h said:

MLB playoffs? Yes. Reg season games are 2 mins. Can you get everyone warmed up in 90 seconds? Yes. Now you've cut off 8-9 mins. Helpful? Yes, but for me it's not as much the overall length of games, more pace of play.
I recommend cricket Twenty20 to scratch that itch. Perfect for Americans!!!
MMantle
AG
Rock was not the only one, most of our hitters stepped out of the box / paused after each pitch, it is my understanding they were coached to do so.

RR
RGLAG85
AG
I'll admit, it's refreshing.
dabo man
AG
I can't imagine that even 30 or 40 years ago, PCL games were 2.5 hours... That is, or at least has the reputation for being, a very friendly league for hitters. Lots of parks at high atltitude.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.