Story Poster
Texas A&M
TCU
Texas A&M Baseball

Super Aggies: Texas A&M outlasts TCU in offensive grudge match, 15-9

June 6, 2022

Game #58: #5 Texas A&M 15, Texas Christian 9
Records: Texas A&M (40-18, 19-11), Texas Christian (38-22, 16-8)
WP: Will Johnston (2-1)
LP: River Ridings (2-3)
Box Score

Concerns were building that Texas A&M might be forced to win on Monday to advance to the super regionals of the NCAA Baseball Tournament.

The Aggies did, but not in the way that was feared by the crowd of 6,525 at Blue Park.

Jack Moss and Dylan Rock laced consecutive two-run hits in a seven-run ninth inning that propelled the Aggies (40-18) to a 15-9 victory over TCU (38-22) in a five-hour marathon that extended past midnight.

Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Rock tallied a whopping five RBIs vs. TCU, including a mammoth three-run blast.

In such a bizarre game, Will Johnston (2-1) picked up the victory despite pitching just 1.1 innings and allowing two hits, two runs and two walks. Meanwhile, River Ridings (2-3), the fifth of seven TCU pitchers, took the loss.

The Aggies will play host to either Louisville or Michigan in next week’s College Station Super Regional.

“What a ballgame,” A&M coach Jim Schlossnagle said. “Just when you think our guys are going to give in, they don’t. Most resilient team I’ve ever coached. Just an honor to be in the dugout with them.”

The Aggies failed to hold a 7-3 lead after Rock’s three-run homer in the seventh. They fell behind 9-8 on TCU shortstop Tommy Sacco’s two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth.

But A&M was undaunted. The Aggies have made a habit of coming from behind. That message was again relayed in the dugout.

“Just keep fighting. Never give up. Just keep going, winning pitches,” Rock said. “Just do what we do.”

Moss added: “We’ve been in that situation all year. Nothing changes.”

Nothing but the scoreboard.

The Aggies accumulated five hits and three walks while sending 12 batters to the plate in the decisive seven-run rally.

Troy Claunch drove in Austin Bost with a game-tying single off TCU reliever Caleb Bolden, the Horned Frogs’ sixth pitcher.

Ryan Targac scored on Jordan Thompson’s bases-loaded dribbler to first to give the Aggies a 10-9 lead.

“I don’t celebrate anything until it’s over,” Schlossnagle said. “Every added-on run is enormous for us.”

“Just when you think our guys are going to give in, they don’t. Most resilient team I’ve ever coached. Just an honor to be in the dugout with them.”
- A&M head coach Jim Schlossnagle

That’s when Moss and Rock came through with a pair of enormous hits.

With the bases loaded and two out, Moss sent a 2-0 pitch into right field to drive in Claunch and Brett Minnich.

With the crowd clapping and chanting in unison, Rock launched a two-run double off the outstretched glove of right-fielder Luke Boyers.

Bost followed with a single to score Rock and stake the Aggies to the six-run lead.

“Once they get a little bit of momentum, especially playing at home, it feeds off itself,” TCU coach Kirk Saarloos said of A&M’s ninth-inning outburst. “We just couldn’t get it stopped.”

Freshman Brad Rudis, the Aggies’ fifth pitcher, threw a scoreless inning against the bottom of the TCU order to finally end the game.

“I felt good once Brad got the first out,” Schlossnagle said. “He’s such a strike-thrower. I felt good about that. As long as he didn’t flip that lineup over and get back down to Tommy and Brayden (Taylor) and give them a chance to get back with one swing.”

Schlossnagle knows all too what Sacco and Taylor could do, and not because they both hit home runs.

Schlossnagle previously coached the Horned Frogs before coming to A&M this year. He recruited them to TCU.

So, he was feeling a twinge of mixed emotions after the win.

“This is a tough one for me,” Schlossnagle said. “I’m super excited for our team and our players. I told our team I love our players at Texas A&M as much as I love my children, but you’ve got to understand that 90 percent of the guys over there I loved as much.

“I’m excited we won, but I’m way more than excited just to move on.”

Even if they did have to wait until Monday to do so.

Discussion from...

Super Aggies: Texas A&M outlasts TCU in offensive grudge match, 15-9

14,236 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggieangler93
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good post game comments from both teams.
jigsaw87
el_guapo
"Nothing changes"
"Nothing but the scoreboard"
Niiiiice.
jimmo
TheChameleon
AG
This team is something else... What a way to cap off a regional championship. There is no quit, no shortage of belief... It's the epitome of it's never 'til it's over. All 27 outs matter the same and Schloss said something to that nature this week... That they compete and treat each out the same whether it's in the first inning or last. This team has some incredible traits and it's been amazing to see.

Pitching was a little up and down against TCU but they battled... TCU swung it well, they were a challenge as was every team in this regional. It was a very tough group. Prager had a good fastball going... 3 K's in 2.1 IP was great to see. Cortez did a really nice job giving some length & only allowed 1 hit... He's a talented and versatile piece for this pitching staff. Menefee and Johnston didn't quite have their usual breaking stuff but it happens, they've been awesome overall. Rudis continues to throw strikes and get outs. Great experience for him this year to take into the future.

15 runs scored by this offense in the last 4 innings. An incredible stat... There's never any panic even though they were held down early. Everyone contributed... Werner two really clutch hits, Moss another multi-hit game, Rock with the two massive late game swings... Olsen was absolutely nuts after the 3 run homer. They couldn't get Bost out, Targac and Claunch with big swings, good AB's from Minnich and Thompson, and Kaler with two more walks. 10 BB's as a team. Spectacular stuff from this lineup over the course of the weekend.

Simply put this has become a special season and it's been so awesome to watch... This group has a rare mindset, grit, and belief that continues to show time after time. Some truly awesome moments and games with more coming this weekend and another great opportunity to keep it all going... So impressive overall.
Aggieangler93
AG
Great article here on a wonderful team. These guys are so much fun to watch!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.