*****Aggies vs. Florida - SEC Tournament Thursday*****

80,943 Views | 1001 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by trouble
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dabo man said:

My hope once we're a 16 team conference is that we'll adopt a 4 pods of 4 teams configuration and send 12 of our 16 teams (3 from each pod) to the conference tournament.

The ACC has done this pod scheduling, and they have 3 games scheduled per day.

Also, every team goes into that tournament knowing they will play at least 2 games. As the SEC scheduling stands now, I would never make a road trip to the tournament unless A&M was a top 4 seed in it.

dont want pods I would be fine with a 1-9 system with a permanent sports specfic rival series perhaps but the top 12 teams get in

then use the ACC model completely as long as each of the top 4 in their pools dont play the first game in their pool so they know the one team the have to beat to advance

Moe Jzyslak
AG
Damn. If only there was a nice, air conditioned MLB stadium with a retractable roof about 90 minutes away from an SEC campus.
dabo man
AG
Quote:

Damn. If only there was a nice, air conditioned MLB stadium with a retractable roof about 90 minutes away from an SEC campus.

And the Astros are going to let amateurs play a dozen or so games in under a week on their natural grass?!?

cdowl38
AG
Too bad the GUARDIANS are playing there this week
powerbelly
AG
dabo man said:

Quote:

And the Astros are going to let amateurs play a dozen or so games in under a week on their natural grass?!?

The problem isn't amateur vs professional it is just the volume of games over a short span.
FunkyTownAg
AG
The rangers are letting the big 12 do it
dabo man
AG
The Rangers DON'T HAVE NATURAL GRASS.
Aggie09Derek
AG
FunkyTownAg said:

The rangers are letting the big 12 do it

Synthetic grass
AG
Let's just outbid the Big12 for Globe Life going foward. Easy enough!
The Agly Duckling
dabo man said:

The Rangers DON'T HAVE NATURAL GRASS.
Yeah, and on top of that, CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
CrottyKid
AG
Is this game ever going to start?
AggieBB
AG
CrottyKid said:

Is this game ever going to start?
Yeah, about 1:00
ThunderFighter06
AG
Probably a dumb question at this point but could it get to the point where the SEC just says **** it and cancel the rest of the tournament? What then?
Divining Rod
ligma said:

Would definitely cost more than Hoover but even the Alamodome can host baseball
Of course it can. Let's see, Left Field line 140', Right Field 97' and Center 210'. This will be interesting.

Oh wow! you're correct! I just checked and it actually CAN accomodate baseball- short right field of 275' but the weather is dryer there pretty sure.
aginlakeway
AG
ThunderFighter06 said:

Probably a dumb question at this point but could it get to the point where the SEC just says **** it and cancel the rest of the tournament? What then?

No.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
TexAg1987
ThunderFighter06 said:

Next step is changing to single elimination. Weather is going to clear after this last line passes and is supposed to be nice the rest of the weekend.

I don't see a scenario where the rest of the tourney is cancelled.
dallasiteinsa02
If they move to single elimination, is Arkansas already eliminated? That would almost be funny.
dabo man
AG
And I think they'd cancel the rest of it before they'd change format. Arkansas (who *almost* won the West) and who the pollsters have loved all season, it sitting with an RPI of #36. They are already slotted for game 9, and they have a lot of gain by winning a few games.

If the conference were to change format now, they would raise holy hell (and be justified in doing so).
aginlakeway
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

If they move to single elimination, is Arkansas already eliminated? That would almost be funny.

Yep. That's what would happen.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
KidDoc
AG
Alabama vs Arky just starting. Our game is supposed to be 30 minutes after that one ends.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aginlakeway
AG
KidDoc said:

Alabama vs Arky just starting. Our game is supposed to be 30 minutes after that one ends.

They played last night.
dabo man
AG
Don't know why, but I'm feeling good about Bama in this one.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
aginlakeway said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Won't happen. They have until Sunday to finish the tourny. They can play 3 or 4 games both FR and Sat. and even 2 or 3 on Sunday if need be. They could even push 1 or 2 to Monday, but they will play the entire tournament with double-elimination.
ColoradoMooseHerd
It is standard operating procedures for conference tournaments to move to single elimination formats in case of weather delays. If it comes to that, Arkansas will not like it, but they won't do a thing because they know that is the standard.
AgEng06
AG
dabo man said:

I'm going with a 4-3 final.
HossAg
AG
Holy **** the amount of people in this thread who just have no idea about anything is incredible.
aggiebrad94
AG
ThunderFighter06 said:

I don't think the League would do it. But back in '86, two SWC teams (I think tu and Arky) left the tournament early because it was pushing back too close to the Regional tournaments. They were both assured of being in one and wanted to save arms.
dcaggie04
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

aginlakeway said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

Won't happen. They have until Sunday to finish the tourny. They can play 3 or 4 games both FR and Sat. and even 2 or 3 on Sunday if need be. They could even push 1 or 2 to Monday, but they will play the entire tournament with double-elimination.
Nothing is getting pushed to Monday. Selection show is at 11am CST that day.
aeroag14
AG
If you get 3 games in today (Seems possible) and then 4 tomorrow, 4 Saturday, you can move one game to early sunday and play 2 on sunday? That would allow you to get full double elimination in. Although it would screw the winner of the early sunday game, forcing them to play a double header.
trouble
AG
KidDoc said:

Go get some more coffee, doc
aginlakeway
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

aginlakeway said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

OK. But the question was IF they move to single elimination, is Arkansas already eliminated? I think that would be a yes.
flakrat
ThunderFighter06
AG
Good. Thanks for the quick responses! By no means do I want see it cancelled I was just thinking that could be a possibility. What are the rules about playing at night? How late can you start a game?
KidDoc
AG
Oh thanks! I just had it on in the background and saw them starting it, didn't notice it was a replay!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sea Pony 07
AG
AgEng06 said:

dabo man said:

I'm going with a 4-3 final.

I'd like to place a 1000 dollar bet on that outcome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.