I was checking out Baseball America and came across this

3,682 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BBGigem
Aggie12B
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not Aggie Baseball related, but this looks fun and entertaining:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2022-05-16/savannah-bananas-baseball-revolution-mlb-rules

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/savannah-bananas-provide-mass-a-peel-for-fans/
greg.w.h
AG
trouble
AG
I love minor league ball
BBGigem
AG
If ever in Savannah, I highly recommend going to a game. If you can get tickets that is.

When playing in the summer collegiate league, they play regular baseball. Well, this past summer the college team played a team outside of their league and they played banana ball for that game only. But still a blast. Check out their Instagram and TIcToc. You will see some Aggies on there. Even a current Aggie baseball player.
Aggie12B
AG
When I was stationed at Ft Stewart, I used to go watch the Savannah Sand Gnats all the time. Those games were fun. If I was stationed at Ft Stewart today, I would be going to see the Bananas play
greg.w.h
AG
trouble said:

I love minor league ball
Their effort to do a 20/20 version of baseball (which, by the way, doesn't take five days for a test match like cricket does) is fascinating. Too much hype and the rules would completely unsettle baseball purists. But some could be adopted with only minor impacts.

I think the base on balls rule is hilarious…ball has to be touched by all position players before the runner can be put out…

The per inning match play is like the college football overtime. Do it is intriguing and essentially extends extra inning rules to every inning to make every inning count.

It's not MiLB play. But their owner is definitely a hoot!!!
trouble
AG
I just want to go to a game. It looks like a blast
greg.w.h
AG
Agreed!!! Need a summer league play it in CS..
96ags
AG
greg.w.h said:

Bombers are a summer league team that play in Bryan
greg.w.h
AG
96ags said:

greg.w.h said:

Bombers are a summer league team that play in Bryan
Read the rules before you sacrifice the Bombers…
75AG
AG
How did you play summer college teams right now when college teams are still playing baseball?
Monywolf
The Bananas played a game where they counted foul balls caught by fans in the stands as outs.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I've talked to the owner a few times. They play regular baseball when playing league games in the Coastal Plains League (college wood bat). Though they do recruit a lot of personalities that play for them - guys that have a lot of social following/sing/dance/crazy ass in general. They actually won the league championship last season.

Then they play games outside the league that are essentially Harlem Globetrotters-style games. Its the Bananas (Globetrotters) vs Party Animals (Washington Generals in this analogy). These players are not current collegiate players, but rather guys who are done with their professional playing careers (at a relatively young age - maybe topped out at A ball or even college ball).

They have certainly created a niche and a strong social following. They sell a ton of merchandise nationally. Other peculiar things - they don't sell in-stadium sponsorships. All seats in the stadium are All-You-Can-Eat. They play in a rickety ballpark, but fill it up every game (3000-4000 seats).
Sea Pony 07
AG
Check out the banana player in the green tutu on the left.

Eta: you can also see him at the 1:32:15 mark
BBGigem
AG
Dettmer sighting.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.