Kansas City Star on Game cancellation

6,592 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dabo man
BANA89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/article261491067.html

As if we are the only one doing it…
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
Fat Black Swan
AG
SEC Rant has been in absolute meltdown mode over it, and barely crickets on Ole Miss. Our football recruiting class has completely broken people.
BeowulfShaeffer
AG
It may be published by the KC Star, but its a dude who writes for "All Hogs". His primary beef is that his team lost the series to us, and he's looking to find any reason to promote the piggies over the Ags.
Agsncws
AG
Once you know who wrote the article, you'll know it's worth less than the paper your bird ****s on daily.
Fat Black Swan
AG
BeowulfShaeffer said:

It may be published by the KC Star, but its a dude who writes for "All Hogs". His primary beef is that his team lost the series to us, and he's looking to find any reason to promote the piggies over the Ags.

Arkansas' RPI is screwed no matter what they do. Everyone in the SEC just wants us to take an RPI hit while they get the opponents record and opponents opponents record boost off of us. They could at least be honest about it.
Moe Jzyslak
AG
No. A&M is the only one doing this. A&M is the only program benefitting from NIL. The Astros are the only team in history to cheat.

That's just how it is.
powerbelly
AG
The next time I give a **** about what a Hog writer thinks will be the first.
W
AG
I didn't know the Kansas City Star was still in business
HoustonAg2106
AG
Literally the team we are playing this week is doing the exact same thing lol
AggieKeith15
AG
Incarnate Word.
george07
AG
It would be easier to take the writer seriously if he wasn't calling them "Incarnate World" over and over again.
AggieKeith15
AG
Faux outrage leaves little time to spell check.
jkag89
I don't like that we cancelled the game either, understand it but still don't like it but what an inane take on the cancellation. If you have talent, MLB scouts will find you wherever you play ball. IW has played a number of games/series against quality programs in which to showcase the talent of Cardinal players throughout the season.: Three games against U of H , three against sippie, two against TXSt., Baylor and TCU. I'm also sure there will be scouts at almost every conference tournament including the Southland Conference Tournament that starts on Thursday.
AgE2theBONE
AG
You'd think he'd care to get the name of the university right, after mentioning it so many times in that article.
85AustinAg
AG
Fix the freakin' RPI calculation such that if you win a game your RPI doesn't drop and then get back to me. I support the move all day long based upon the system in place. Notre Dame cancelled a series, I'm sure there are others. Cry me a river...
greg.w.h
AG
RPI as a transparent excuse when they want to use it and a non-transparent index they ignore when they don't want to…it's awful…
BQ_90
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

You'd think he'd care to get the name of the university right, after mentioning it so many times in that article.
Plus he forgot the questionable rainout vs Sal Brunson State
TexasAggie81
W said:

I didn't know the Kansas City Star was still in business

Considering the abysmal way the University of Kansas plays baseball, if that's what you call it, I would think this paper has nothing more to do than to promote some other team.
carl spacklers hat
ScapeGOAT said:

No. A&M is the only one doing this. A&M is the only program benefitting from NIL. The Astros are the only team in history to cheat.

That's just how it is.
User name checks out
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Houstonag
AG
Hello Kansas City paper. Look at the facts. Jim has not run from the truth. His job is to help his team when there is a flawed ranking system. Your paper has no credibility because your writer has his nose up the rear of Arkansas.
Hop
Staff
AG
85AustinAg said:

Fix the freakin' RPI calculation such that if you win a game your RPI doesn't drop and then get back to me. I support the move all day long based upon the system in place. Notre Dame cancelled a series, I'm sure there are others. Cry me a river...

So how do you fix it? You must have a strength of schedule component in any rating equation, right? It's not an issue when P5 teams are playing directional schools in February and March.

dixichkn
AG
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

SEC Rant has been in absolute meltdown mode over it, and barely crickets on Ole Miss. Our football recruiting class has completely broken people.

I made the mistake of going over to SECRant ONE time. People on that site have the collective IQ of a box of rocks.

Not sure I'd be losing too much sleep over that one.
nereus
AG
Hop said:

85AustinAg said:

So how do you fix it? You must have a strength of schedule component in any rating equation, right? It's not an issue when P5 teams are playing directional schools in February and March.

It's not? I seem to remember complaints on TexAgs about this every schedule release date about people complaining about the quality of teams on our non-conference slate and the number of home games. It annually delves into some posters saying we need to be focusing on maximizing RPI and playing a quality road series in addition to the regular tournament vs some season ticket holders saying that don't want to loose a home weekend series for that. They then often focus on the same argument regarding upgrading our Tuesday games as well.

It obviously gets more attention with real time RPI movements later in the season when RPI becomes more of a focus due to the committee's use of it for seeding, but people complain about this issue with the Feb and Mar games as well.
aeroag14
AG
Short hair, don't care. Ranked in top 10, saving pitching, don't have to watch a snoozer of a game.
DGrimesAg92
TCU and TSU cancel their midweek (rpi killer) games this week…..but but but.
Luke The Drifter
AG
BLSD said:

TCU and TSU cancel their midweek (rpi killer) games this week…..but but but.

As did Ole Miss.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
milner79
TV commentator on Sunday said that Schloss was fielding calls from coaches in SEC and elsewhere about how he made the cancellation happen. I seriously don't understand what was complicated about it. I assume there was a contract and maybe a guarantee involved, so TAMU I'm sure made good on the money owed. What else could be complicated about a non-conference cancellation? Insights?
94chem
Hop said:

85AustinAg said:

I told you how to fix it in basketball, and I told you how to fix it on the '6' thread. Kendall read my suggestions on the basketball thread. So stop being obtuse. Of course strength of schedule should matter.
McKelveysCurse
Us using our collective brain-power to take every advantage afforded by NIL has no doubt ruffled some feathers. The fall-out may last awhile.
bv86ag
AG
A simple way to fix it is no win will drop your RPI.
You don't gain in RPI against a weak opponent...but you never drop after a victory.
And if your entire season is full of cupcakes...then your RPI will start badly and end badly.
Problem solved.
TXAggie2011
AG
bv86ag said:

A simple way to fix it is no win will drop your RPI.
You don't gain in RPI against a weak opponent...but you never drop after a victory.
And if your entire season is full of cupcakes...then your RPI will start badly and end badly.
Problem solved.

Awards whoever starts the season the best
HoustonAg2106
AG
Hop said:

85AustinAg said:

Let every team drop their 3 or 4 lowest mid week RPI wins. Done. Move on.
94chem
Just schedule one road game against Tennessee. Win it, wait for the post-season, and be #1 national seed.
West Point Aggie
AG
The #1 recruiting class really did damage some permanently…it's kinda ****ing awesome!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Hop
Staff
AG
94chem said:

Hop said:

85AustinAg said:

I told you how to fix it in basketball, and I told you how to fix it on the '6' thread. Kendall read my suggestions on the basketball thread. So stop being obtuse. Of course strength of schedule should matter.

Sorry I don't follow you around the boards. But now that I have read your baseball post, I have a hard time thinking this is a good solution. So your suggestion is to allow teams to use its "top 48" games in calculating the "RPI" for NCAA selection committee purposes. So now you've created essentially an exhibition season and shortened the real season to 48, because that's exactly how coaches will treat it….using these five games at their discretion for development and rest. They'll play a lot of young, little used players to get the some experience and rest the starters. Why? Because the game essentially doesn't count and doesn't mean anything for the record. So the non-conference season becomes even less relevant than it was before.

30+ years ago the college baseball regular season was 60 games. Then they trimmed it to 56 games and delayed the start of the season to late February to accommodate the north schools. Then, the NCAA allowed schools to play an exhibition 3-game fall series which takes away from the 56 limit, so you're down to 53 games. Now, you want to trim another 5 games off the "real" season.

I don't think shortening the real season even further is good for college baseball, and certainly isn't good for the college baseball fan and season ticket holder.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.