Ole Miss will be tough.

5,581 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Iraq2xVeteran
12thmanfootball
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I trust this team to win in Oxford, but Ole Miss is on a roll. Seven in a row with a sweep of LSU in Baton Rouge and another win over a ranked Southern Miss team.

It aint gonna be easy.
Divining Rod
nope
greg.w.h
AG
Luckily…we only have to win them one at a time…
Outlaw0206
AG
Good news is that stadium won't be near as intimidating with students out for the summer. Remember when we played there a few years back during this same weekend and it was a pretty light crowd.
threeanout
AG
It 'aint been easy for us all year but we manage to persevere.
W
AG
I suppose the Ags need to win 2 of 3 to stay in contention for a top 8 seed...

but 1 win should be enough to host
BoerneGator
AG
This team is focused, and driven to excel! We'll do just fine… every game it seems like another player steps up a notch or three.
threeanout
AG
W said:

I suppose the Ags need to win 2 of 3 to stay in contention for a top 8 seed...

but 1 win should be enough to host
I agree with this. Two of three and I think we sneak in top eight. One should be plenty to get us a top 16.
tjack16
AG
I think a win in Oxford along with a decent showing in the SEC tournament would lock up a national seed.

I think 3 more wins locks in our top 8 spot.
AG
Our streak is better, winning 6 straight SEC series. Win 2 out of 3 and theres almost no way the committee withholds a NS from us. 19-11 record, having won 8 out of 10 SEC series including the past 7 series, and likely first in the west standings and #2 overall in the SEC (praying the hogs don't sweep Bama).

Amazing that this is where we are this year. Schloss for Co-SEC CoY!
A-A Ron
I'll start by saying I believe in this team, and I'll admit after the early season struggles I thought we were in for another season like last year (not even making it to Hoover). This team has proved me wrong and I am glad they did. That being said anyone thinking any SEC series is going to be easy is kidding themselves. The SEC is loaded top to bottom and there is no "Coast Weekend". Much less having to go on the road. We will have to strap in and battle, Ole Miss was ranked #1 at one point this season (likely over inflated ranking) but they are still no slouch.
MagnumLoad
This team might get beat, but they sure will not choke.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
Tanya 93
Then we just be tougher

Live the faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

I think a win in Oxford along with a decent showing in the SEC tournament would lock up a national seed.

With 2 of those 3 coming @ OM. I don't think going 1-2 vs OM then 2-1 in Hoover will have the same effect.
CapCityAg89
AG
tjack16 said:

I agree with this … kinda

Sweep ole Miss and we can go 2-Q in Hoover. Get swept and we probably need to get to the championship for a National seed.
CapCityAg89
AG
Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

With 2 of those 3 coming @ OM. I don't think going 1-2 vs OM then 2-1 in Hoover will have the same effect.

Cant go 2-1 in Hoover but I hear ya.
Farmer1906
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Not usually, but we can this year. We have a bye thru round 1. If we win 2 games then we'll be in the final 4. The final 4 is single elim.

You are correct. We'd need 3 wins to get to single elim, not 2.
Rooster4Ag
AG
We're a tough out too.
What have ye done to surpass man?
CapCityAg89
AG
Farmer1906 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Not usually, but we can this year. We have a bye thru round 1. If we win 2 games then we'll be in the final 4. The final 4 is single elim.

Also - I thought it was just a single elimination final two. Is it semis also?
Farmer1906
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

Farmer1906 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

Also - I thought it was just a single elimination final two. Is it semis also?
http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2022/SEC%20Baseball%20Tournament%20Bracket.pdf

Single Elim: Round 1 (non byes), Semis, and FInals.
CapCityAg89
AG
So basically winners bracket teams don't have to play again if they lose in the semis. That makes sense.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
No, you were right the first time. We're locked into the Top 4, so we're automatically in the Double Elimination portion (similar to the format of a regional until two of the four teams in our pod have been eliminated). If we win our first two games, we would be in the single elimination Semifinals where we would go home with a loss leaving us at 2-1.
CapCityAg89
AG
Detective Jake Peralta said:

No, you were right the first time. We're locked into the Top 4, so we're automatically in the Double Elimination portion (similar to the format of a regional until two of the four teams in our pod have been eliminated). If we win our first two games, we would be in the single elimination Semifinals where we would go home with a loss leaving us at 2-1.

Yep. I thought it was double elimination to the finals (normal bracket play). My bad.
Serious Lee
that stupid format screwed us in 2015
jkag89
And helped the Ags in 2016.
fightintxag13
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

that stupid format screwed us in 2015
It's way better than going double elimination until the championship. It takes a lot of arms to get that far as it is. The minimum amount of games to win the championship is 4 in 5 days. The max is 6 in 6 days. That takes a ton of arms. More than a regional.

If you make it double elimination until the championship, you're talking potentially 7 games in 6 or 7 days. That's far too taxing on a pitching staff before going to an NCAA regional the following week.
W
AG
plus Hoover is basically a made-for-the-SEC-network event.

it loves 5 straight days of live baseball
McKelveysCurse
We got em right where we want em.
94chem
Other than Tennessee's pitching, tell me exactly what any team in this league has done to distinguish itself. This league has 14 little cluster bombs that can go off on any given weekend. Here are the league stats:

SEC baseball stats

You bet Ole Miss will be tough.
BoerneGator
AG
Wish they showed stats in SEC games only. Think that would be more relevant/meaningful.

Noticed we've given up fewest HRs. Is that significant?
A-A Ron
BoerneGator said:

Wish they showed stats in SEC games only. Think that would be more relevant/meaningful.

Noticed we've given up fewest HRs. Is that significant?
That's hard to say, giving up a few home runs can be good, but if on the flip side you have given up more doubles than anyone else (not saying we have) you can give up just as many runs giving up doubles as you can home runs. I kind of equate it to Mississippi States pitcher Will Johnson kept bringing up he has the most strikeouts in the SEC, while the most strikeouts are great but your record is 3-4 and the number of runs you give up in between those strikeouts doesn't tell the whole story. Like I know our guys were able to hit a couple of HR's off of him and it was brought up about his delivery that yes he gets alot of strikeouts but it also leads to balls when they are hit getting hit up in the air and in turn occasionally result in home runs.
hunter2012
AG
94chem said:

Other than Tennessee's pitching, tell me exactly what any team in this league has done to distinguish itself. This league has 14 little cluster bombs that can go off on any given weekend. Here are the league stats:

SEC baseball stats

What's amazing is the fact that we're middling in every significant stat and lead the conference in very few of the random stats and yet we're in 2nd and control the 2 spot destiny going into the final weekend. That is the biggest indicator that this team is super scrappy. We do whatever it takes to win the game in front of us. Period.
Fat Black Swan
AG
hunter2012 said:

94chem said:

SEC baseball stats

What's amazing is the fact that we're middling in every significant stat and lead the conference in very few of the random stats and yet we're in 2nd and control the 2 spot destiny going into the final weekend. That is the biggest indicator that this team is super scrappy. We do whatever it takes to win the game in front of us. Period.

Here's SEC play only.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/baseball/2022/seconly.pdf
hunter2012
AG
Yeah, ok that clears it up a bit. It looks like we can hit...
The Debt
W said:

plus Hoover is basically a made-for-the-SEC-network event.

it loves 5 straight days of live baseball

Well it looks like I'm not working for a week. "Sorry boss, I have covid 19."
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.