Selection Sunday (Softball)

4,581 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Skull Session
bippy_b
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have seen a couple of bracket predictions leaving us out.

Wouldn't surprise me..

Thoughts?
greg.w.h
AG
We had similar OOC schedules and similar conference wins in 2016 and 2019. In the seasons between we went to the WCWS and a super. Every reason based on that to expect an invite.

Of course if fan negativity is a reason to exclude us…
Belton Ag
AG
greg.w.h said:

We had similar OOC schedules and similar conference wins in 2016 and 2019. In the seasons between we went to the WCWS and a super. Every reason based on that to expect an invite.

Of course if fan negativity is a reason to exclude us…
Last year we had a better record and a similar RPI and were one of the absolute last teams in, if not THE last team. It was very close.

So to say that there's "every reason" to expect an invite is delusional. If I had to bet on it I'd say we're in based on a few decent wins towards the end of the season, but it's going to be close again. It would not surprise me at all to see us left out.
mullokmotx
AG
I count 33 at-large teams with better RPI's than our 42 after Friday's games.
Looks like we played 30 games against teams with better RPI's and won 7. Against teams with and RPI of 22 or better we were 6-20.
This past week baseball cancelled next week's game with Incarnate Word to protect our RPI. I wonder if that was an option with the double-header at Houston on May 4. Winning would not have helped the RPI except for getting 2 road wins and we ended up 2-14 on the road.
I can see it going either way and if the committee can find a reason to leave out another SEC team they might do it.
greg.w.h
AG
The main thing going against us is the Alliance and the impact that has on the non-Autonomy 5 conferences filling that vacuum in the selection committee. The rest is just eyeball tests with RPI being game-able as our Incarnate Word decision demonstrates loudly and clearly.

I personally think based on prior years and the overall conference strength that the best way to determine whether we would be in is to look at how we might have done in other similar conferences. I'm guessing a .500 or better record in almost any other conference. But we didn't play enough games against any of them to demonstrate that.

It definitely can go either way, but it's mostly without clear historical precedent. On clear historical precedent we should squeak in due to the strength of the conference and the best series and good wins we had.
Tavares19
AG
D1 Softball released their bracket this morning and had us comfortably a 3 seed in Austin. They ranked the bubble teams 61-70 and we weren't on there
Wooahhhh
AG
I'd like to see us get in, just to screw up tu's bracket. beat them & see what happens. I think Kennedy is coming along well. I would like to see her get more big game time. I'm 50/50 getting in though
KBAGOLFER
I really don't see us making it in this year and honestly with a straight face, can you make an argument for us getting in? The argument is not for individuals to get in, but the whole team
KayakBassAngling
SeenNotHeard
AG
Headed to Norman as the 3 seed. First game against Minnesota.
Belton Ag
AG
The sacrificial Regional. The three schools traveling to Norman are all fringe tournament teams.
bippy_b
pudge
How many years has A&M been sent to Norman lately?
Belton Ag
AG
pudge said:

How many years has A&M been sent to Norman lately?
In he last 10 years, we've hosted 3 times, went to ULaLa and Austin once and Norman 5 times.
pudge
LSU is going to Tempe, but I'm not. I lost a lot of interest when the superfan keeps coming.
CapCityAg89
AG
bippy_b said:

You know what? Ags come out of that regional, Jo deserves an extension.
Belton Ag
AG
Sip got snubbed by the committee from hosting and are being sent to Washington. They were pissed off on camera when that came up.
jkag89
The burning question everyone is asking, did their coach flip another bird?
Mikeyshooter
AG
You hate to see it…
Belton Ag
AG
jkag89 said:

The burning question everyone is asking, did their coach flip another bird?
Part of me actually wonders if that was a factor when the NCAA weighed their hosting bid.

Regardless, suck it sip.
pudge
This is the first time that I can remember that there will be no D1 tournament games held in Texas & Louisiana.
KBAGOLFER
Well Ross can go from one site to the other. The other being Ok State #7 National seed, who just beat ou for Big 12 Tournament Championship, and have hopefully our next head coach, KENNY G
KayakBassAngling
Outlaw0206
AG
KBAGOLFER said:

Well Ross can go from one site to the other. The other being Ok State #7 National seed, who just beat ou for Big 12 Tournament Championship, and have hopefully our next head coach, KENNY G

Could not agree more!! Been saying for last year we need him! Doesn't hurt that his bride is an Aggie Softball Alum!
The Lost
Only South Carolina didn't make it from the sec
dcaggie04
AG
The Lost said:

Only South Carolina didn't make it from the sec

Makes sense since they were the only SEC team with a below 0.500 overall record.
Bucketrunner
Absolutely not
greg.w.h
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Absolutely not
I don't usually vote for moral victories, but if we win two games against OU she deserves some folks here backing off until the team finishes its run.
fieldtrailer
AG
The last time they played OU in a regional, they were up 7-4 going into bottom of 7. Jo being Jo decided to bring in a new pitcher after the current one had shut them down, after relieving the starter. The new pitcher gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 7th, for the loss. Someone needs to tie Jo to the bench and keep her from freaking out. Florida super, same thing.
Boozer92
AG
Actually looking at the bracket. We are the 2 seed in OK. Stretch by the committee to make an easy path for OU
mullokmotx
AG
We went to a super-regional there in 2013, and regionals in 2014, 2015, 2021 and this year. I think the rule is you can't be sent to the same regional 3 years in a row.
mullokmotx
AG
I think the team with the best RPI not to make it is Charlotte. Their RPI was 31 after Friday but they were the 7 seed in their conference tournament.
Very happy for our players. This is the last time for Kayla Poynter but the 1st time for the 4 freshmen. Playing in the NCAA tournament is a special thing. Hope we can get to Sunday.
Wicked Good Ag
fieldtrailer said:

The last time they played OU in a regional, they were up 7-4 going into bottom of 7. Jo being Jo decided to bring in a new pitcher after the current one had shut them down, after relieving the starter. The new pitcher gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 7th, for the loss. Someone needs to tie Jo to the bench and keep her from freaking out. Florida super, same thing.

Not so sure I would put the Florida Super on Joe at the end
SeenNotHeard
AG
The Florida super was entirely on Cuyos having two errors. That wasn't on Jo.
Skull Session
Yep sip coach stuck out his tongue (errrr finger) and got rewarded with a trip to Washington.

Otherwise he could have had a regional of:

A&M & slo Jo. 29-26 (6-18 SEC) RPI 40.
Vs RPI teams 1-25 (6-20)
26-50 (3-4). 51-100 (4-2) 101-201+ (16-0)

Minnowsoda 26-24-1 (11-12 Big10). RPI 34
vs RPI teams 1-25 (5-10-1)
Notable losses. To OU 9-1, to Sippage 12-3 with a 10-10 tie

Prairie view A&M. 20-28. (16-8 conf) won SWAC tournament
RPI 281. Vs RPI teams 1-200 (0-6)
Notable losses. 2 to Baylor

Mike (what's his name ) could have had a cake walk to the Supers if only he had stuck his finger in his mouth. But Noooo!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.