Choose your pitchers!

5,314 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by dermdoc
ensign_beedrill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Friday is set, but you get to choose Saturday and Sunday. Who do you go with?

I'm going with Moo for Saturday; I've been wanting to see him get a shot at starting for a while.

Dallas on Sunday. We need him if we're going to make a run in the post season, and he might benefit from the run support we've been able to give on Sundays.
hunter2012
AG
Maybe start Rudis Saturday, if nothing else just to give Dallas the clear message? "Hey we need you but we're running out of time for you get your game fixed(2 series left), so we're going to experiment with the rotation until you find yourself."

May just have to have short leashes on Sat/Sun on all pitchers.
dermdoc
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

Friday is set, but you get to choose Saturday and Sunday. Who do you go with?

I'm going with Moo for Saturday; I've been wanting to see him get a shot at starting for a while.

Dallas on Sunday. We need him if we're going to make a run in the post season, and he might benefit from the run support we've been able to give on Sundays.
I think it all depends on what happens Friday and how many pitchers we have to use. And which ones due to the closeness of the game.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dabo man
AG
I'm fine with giving Moo another start. Better with that than with another start from Micah at this point. That having been said, the only other option I see is Rudis, and he hasn't been stellar either. Few have been. This is a staff with a 5.08 ERA (in conference). In the end, I'll support whatever rotation Yeskie sets.

I do think this is an ideal thread for anyone who thinks he/she has "the answer" to our current pitching woes. Get your opinions out here now. Don't wait until something Yeskie tries doesn't work.
85AustinAg
AG
Wyatt Tucker and at some point it would be smart to see how Palisch does as a starter. With 6 regular season games left - that's what I'd do and these are the two in my mind that make the most sense right now.
dermdoc
AG
If we have the luxury of starting Moo, Palisch, or Tucker on Saturday (and even Sunday) it means Dettmer did well.

If we have a lead Friday night, I might try Dallas in relief after Dettmer.

With a real short leash.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiebrad94
AG
Sunday is Reliever Sunday. Pitchers get 2 runs or one time through the lineup - whichever comes first.
Mark Fairchild
AG
I pondered this for some time, and then I thought, "Say, don't we have some coaches making quite a bit of coin to make these decisions." After that, I decided that they are payed to know more than I ever will, so I give the responsibility of making this decision to the man in charge.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
2020P.O.
Listening to the multiple interviews Schloss has given I think the two spots are 2 of Dallas, Prager, Tucker. I think Moo is too valuable in the pen at this point. Another outside shot at Willy.

Lose game 1, and I think you have to stay with experience and Dallas starts one of those. Win game 1 and gives you a little flexibility to hold Dallas to a bullpen spot and probably Tucker.

Edit*****it's magical we're talking about being short two starters not necessarily from injury….and hosting a regional.
hunter2012
AG
Sounds like the fire Yeskie bandwagon has started... 5 ERA in conference is atrocious, why did we even hire this guy?! We used to lose games 3-1 now we eek out wins 13-12, imagine what we could do with good pitching...
ensign_beedrill
AG
Mark Fairchild said:

I pondered this for some time, and then I thought, "Say, don't we have some coaches making quite a bit of coin to make these decisions." After that, I decided that they are payed to know more than I ever will, so I give the responsibility of making this decision to the man in charge.
But it is fun to speculate. Come on, give it a go!
MMantle
AG
Please, put Micah Dallas in the bullpen, give him a break from having to worry about a start all during the week, the change in routine can't hurt, don't we have enough recent data points with him as a starter?

I think Derm is right, a lot depends on which pitchers we have to use on Friday, based upon what Coach said, I'm guessing Tucker gets a start, I'd be reluctant to take Palisch or Menefee out of the pen, they're two of the big reasons we've won the last 5 series.

RR

dermdoc
AG
MMantle said:

Please, put Micah Dallas in the bullpen, give him a break from having to worry about a start all during the week, the change in routine can't hurt, don't we have enough recent data points with him as a starter?

I think Derm is right, a lot depends on which pitchers we have to use on Friday, based upon what Coach said, I'm guessing Tucker gets a start, I'd be reluctant to take Palisch or Menefee out of the pen, they're two of the big reasons we've won the last 5 series.

RR

Agree. With our starting pitching problems, we have to win every Dettmer start. So you use whomever you have to on the back end.
Bullpen Chias
AG
Would be good to have a reliable #2 to start in regional against a 4 seed. Save 35 for game 2.
BBGigem
AG
dermdoc said:

MMantle said:

RR

Agree. With our starting pitching problems, we have to win every Dettmer start. So you use whomever you have to on the back end.
No pressure Dett.

He's got this! Expecting 6+ but 7+ would be ideal.
SchizoAg
AG
Dettmer, Palisch, Menefee. Our hitting is good enough that with a decent starter, we don't need a lot of relief pitching. The starter can give up 5 runs and we'll still likely win. Just leave them in as long as humanly possible, and bring in the rest of the staff on a short leash.
MMantle
AG
Agreed

Dettmer

Makes you wonder where we'd be without him, doesn't it?

RR
bv86ag
AG
I haven't followed the team as closely as you guys...so maybe my question is a dumb one...but are there any "darkhouse" or "relatively unknown"
or lightly used pitchers that could see any action?
Maybe some young kid with a live arm but unpolished (but may be worth a look?)
Basically..is there anyone left on the pitching staff that we could experiment with for a few innings?
Bullpen Chias
AG
bv86ag said:

I haven't followed the team as closely as you guys...so maybe my question is a dumb one...but are there any "darkhouse" or "relatively unknown"
Basically..is there anyone left on the pitching staff that we could experiment with for a few innings?

Tucker is probably the type of player you're talking about. Pitched 6 innings all season until this past weekend when he come on and threw almost 6 innings and kept us around to win the game.
W
AG
this feels like a situation that doesn't really have a solution.

Friday --> Dettmer
Saturday --> kitchen sink
Sunday --> slug
Lance Uppercut
AG
Dettmer
Tucker and Moo
Dallas

Palisch for some innings Friday and Sunday
annie88
AG
So Mr. hamburger pitching both Saturday and Sunday.

Interesting.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
annie88
AG
Did Moo start earlier this year? If so how many games?
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
scrap
AG
Day two Tucker
Day three Palisch
EMY92
AG
Can we use Wacha & Stripling for Saturday and Sunday?
ensign_beedrill
AG
annie88 said:

Interesting.
He throws with his right arm on Saturday, then his left on Sunday.
trouble
AG
annie88 said:

Interesting.
ensign_beedrill
AG
bv86ag said:

Two pitchers we haven't seen whom I'd be interested to see:

1. Jonathan Childress. I think he pitched one inning this year. Apparently he was hit by a foul ball in the dugout and at this point, I don't know if he's going to be available for any games, but I hope so.
2. Trevor Werner. I'd really be interested to see him come in and see what he can contribute as a closer. One or two innings at the end of games.
src94
AG
I believe i heard Childress is out for the year, maybe had surgery??? Can anyone confirm?
dabo man
AG
Quote:

Did Moo start earlier this year? If so how many games?
I *really* thought Moo started early in the year, but the stats say 19 appearances and 0 games started.
https://12thman.com/sports/baseball/stats/2022#individual-overall

The older I get, the less I seem to be able to trust my memory...
Bullpen Chias
AG
src94 said:

I believe i heard Childress is out for the year, maybe had surgery??? Can anyone confirm?

Correct
Gyles Marrett
At this point I'm more comfortable with even Cortez getting another start than Dallas. Hope he figures it out before the end of the regular season but we've seen nothing that would make you think he will.
Rooster4Ag
AG
Tucker and Rudis
What have ye done to surpass man?
dabo man
AG
The tldr version of my earlier post.

Going by committee Saturday (w/Moo getting lots of innings) and with Rudis on Sunday. Open to Moo starting Saturday though.
fightintxag13
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

Dettmer
Tucker and Moo
Dallas

Palisch for some innings Friday and Sunday
Agreed. Ideally we can use Palisch for 1 or no innings tonight, and we can go to him for 3 innings on Sunday. I think you give Dallas one more start on Sunday to give him a last chance to find his mojo with what has typically been greater run support from our bats.

As much as I liked Rudis against Georgia and Arkansas, he has been very hittable since.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.