**** SEC Softball Tournament

8,661 Views | 92 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgDad77
Tobias Funke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Aggies2009 said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

No, everything I've said is true… and yes you can believe it or not GP angled for the job twice.
Just like when I said the higher would be Fisher… the entire fall leading up to it…

Looking back, I see nowhere where you said that. Oh well.

Maybe you searched for "Jimbo hire" instead of "Jimbo higher". Common mistake
TxA&Mhunter
AG
Thanks for the catch! Truth is he wasn't a party to the discussion so he can't search there.
dermdoc
AG
TxA&Mhunter said:

No, everything I've said is true… and yes you can believe it or not GP angled for the job twice.
Just like when I said the higher would be Fisher… the entire fall leading up to it…

Man, I wish I was you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SinKiller
If you're talking about Gasso, that's about the equivalent of taking Saban from Bama...
greg.w.h
AG
aggiebrad94 said:

Now to the 13th
Incredible ending. Note the Tennessee pitcher of record for the game.
rhp
AG
I've been at every home game this year. If you watch the infield, most game they didn't cover third base on a bunt. This was not the first time this season, that the other team took third.
Lemmys Rickenbacker
_mpaul said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

Who's GP? Gasso, Patty?

Patterson, Gary
greg.w.h
AG
Belton Ag said:

greg.w.h said:

Lemmys Rickenbacker said:

I will play your game. It is in my opinion without any evidence that she will not be extended and that the process for finding a new coach has already started. Feel better?
So if she is allowed to coach another season like Blair was them what?
When was Blair given the extension?

Evans and Blair are two completely different situations.
Your question on Blair's quiet extension for the past season is a good one. His contract completed the previous year according to public articles and I never found a public article on an extension possibly because they were still negotiating. I don't know though. Great question and probably sheds more insight. Saying Jo and Gary are different situations is only partially true. Both we're in the NCAAT all years but in the beginning of their A&M tenures. Jo had a finals appearance and two WCWS additional appearances, and four super regionals in addition out of 20 NCAAT appearances including a WCWS appearance and two additional supers in the SEC and otherwise going every year to the NCAAT out of seven opportunities not counting the Covid cancelation and this year (TBD).

cevans and noted he expected us to do better than we have in the he SEC which is fair. But did anyone truly expect four or more super appearances or two or four WCWS appearances? Because that's what the next step from her record was in postseason play. Those wanting Childress replaced noted his lack of wins in the wcws but the guy we hired doesn't have a better best run than Jo does though he had a better overall CWS record and more individual runs.

cevans definitely knows his stuff and his analysis of this team is solid. Is that a failure on Jo's part with the current team or snowballing problems. As I wrote: the current team is young. Uribe and Dack who he specifically called out are sophomore and fish class respectively. Kennedy is a talented fish as well. We are missing Herzog in the circle who likely win more than a few games if she could have taken the circle. Lee at lead off highlights the depth issues (as does Uribe batting yesterday.)

Depth is a recruiting issue for sure, but there is ebb and flow as you get larger classes and they stuck together versus smaller ones. Our talent mainly looks inexperienced not flawed despite the defensive play. Anyone who believes otherwise should feel free to say so (like cevans did.)

I just expect a rational conversation. That's all.
SinKiller
rhp said:

I've been at every home game this year. If you watch the infield, most game they didn't cover third base on a bunt. This was not the first time this season, that the other team took third.

Those are called defensive plays from the coach, maybe that's how they wanna play it. The girls certainly are young and can miss the sign. I'm not saying right or wrong, but if it's every time, that's maybe the call. I didn't see every home game, and am taking your word for it.
rhp
AG
That my point, the coach should have somebody covering third. I don't know what she had called. But, third base was left open to many times during the year on bunts. Either she doesn't have anybody covering third or one of the player missed the assignment. All the players play hard during the game and try to do the best they can.
I understand third base having to charge the bunt and SS covering second. It's just no one goes to third after the throw to first.
BigBubbaAggie82
cevans_40 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

cevans_40 said:

greg.w.h said:

cevans_40 said:

Lack of clutch hitting did us in. Hopefully the win was enough to make the tournament.
We are a younger team and it showed. We settled in after Kennedy (a fish) came in and I think her velocity was likely part of the calming effect by denying Florida turning on the pitches. We held them scoreless with only 3 hits and 2 BB and zero errors after that.
Box score shows no errors on the game last night but I would have ruled the ball that Dack overran in left an error. Florida's speed a ton of pressure on the defense and to beat a team like that, you need a swing and miss type pitcher not someone who is pitching to contact. I think that is why the confusion as to starting Uribe. Now back to Dack, why in the hell is she playing in the outfield. She is a catcher and corner infielder by trade and it shows. We have got to get some outfielders on this team. I can tell the pitchers are pissed everytime we fail to make a play in the outfield. We have tried Ackermann out there and now its Dack. We have to get better in the outfield next season.

I would also say the hit to RF was an error as well
Not to mention leaving third base open for the runner to get to third without a throw in the second inning I think

But the biggest issue to me was getting the first batter on base almost every inning and failing to score them

Honestly we are on elite pitcher and two hitters away from being a solid upper tier SEC team IMO
Defensively, we are poor at times and that has to get fixed. Uribe or Cannon is responsible for covering 3rd on the bunt (That's just being flat lazy or blowing an assignment). We make too many errors up the middle and don't have a good outfield. We need a centerfielder who can flat cover some ground and make plays in front of her (I think Baker can be this player but has to get better at the plate). The corner outfielders have to get better. I think Dack moves to 1st if Lee doesn't stay and we will be much better in the outfield with a healthy Warren.

Smith has been solid in RF. Made sportscenter top plays recently and last year too if I recall correctly. Although she would probably admit she should've made that catch, her fielding % is outstanding.

Centerfield and left have been a toss up and revolving door which I believe is the issue. Hard for players to gel in a position when they don't know where they'll play from one inning to the next.
Wooahhhh
AG
It's the pitcher's responsibility to cover 3b, cevens said it.

Edit: If the 3B gets the bunt, the P covers 3b. If the P gets the bunt, 3b has to hustle back to 3b. OF should never cover a bag. OF backs-up the bags, they're your last line of defense. If they cover the bag (which they may never practice) and it gets past them, it's a little league game breaking out
Wooahhhh
AG
Florida, with Hannah Adams back, looks as good as they've looked all year. If they get on a groove, they will be a handfull to beat at home. Somebody needs to put a hard foul ball to the Florida guy screaming in the stands after every pitch.
cevans_40
AG
_mpaul said:

TxA&Mhunter said:

Who's GP? Gasso, Patty?
Gary Patterson. He is referencing the football coaching hire
Colt98
AG
You don't have to look any further than all the girls that have left the program in the last few years to know something is up with the culture of the team. One is the college player of the year. One is her conference new comer of the year. Many others are starters and major contributors to the teams the went to. The program is sick. The only bright spot has been our offensive improvement over the last few years. That being said we still are slow. We have a few fast kids in the line up this year, with zero coaching emphasis on the speed game. Just look at the top teams in the country, other then ou, they don't live and die by the HR(OU is just stupid crazy powerful). I'd be looking at FSU or Vtech for my next coach. Both coaches are pitching coaches, and I would think would love to head to sec to play with the best week in and out. Kinda funny how at the beginning of the year the staff was talking about how great it's going to be to have a smaller roster to navigate through and at the end of the season everyone in the program was saying how depth has been such a major issue with performance. Well.... no crap... How about we have a program where kids want to stay here.
AgDad77
AG
Colt just NAILED IT!!!!
mullokmotx
AG
RPI dropped 1 spot to 42 after Friday's games.
cevans_40
AG
Colt98 said:

You don't have to look any further than all the girls that have left the program in the last few years to know something is up with the culture of the team. One is the college player of the year. One is her conference new comer of the year. Many others are starters and major contributors to the teams the went to. The program is sick. The only bright spot has been our offensive improvement over the last few years. That being said we still are slow. We have a few fast kids in the line up this year, with zero coaching emphasis on the speed game. Just look at the top teams in the country, other then ou, they don't live and die by the HR(OU is just stupid crazy powerful). I'd be looking at FSU or Vtech for my next coach. Both coaches are pitching coaches, and I would think would love to head to sec to play with the best week in and out. Kinda funny how at the beginning of the year the staff was talking about how great it's going to be to have a smaller roster to navigate through and at the end of the season everyone in the program was saying how depth has been such a major issue with performance. Well.... no crap... How about we have a program where kids want to stay here.
Who is this?
dcaggie04
AG
I'm guessing he means Klinger who was Pac 12 POY this year.
cevans_40
AG
dcaggie04 said:

I'm guessing he means Klinger who was Pac 12 POY this year.

OK. That makes sense. She was definitely a big loss.
Artimus Gordon
Jourdan Campbell is having a really good year at the plate With ULALA!
85AustinAg
AG
Gasso is making over a million a year according to easily googled information making her the highest paid softball coach in the country. Looks like OU did lower salaries for all coaches making over a million during Covid, but not sure if that's still in place or if she is back to her previous salary #.

If she's the target its going to take some coin.
AgDad77
AG
Lonnie A - That is a Shock The World Hire!!!

Just pay her!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.