We have an RPI Problem

12,057 Views | 129 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by RED AG 98
Divining Rod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
we got effed in football.
we got effed in basketball.
of course we're going to be effed in baseball.

At least in baseball we still have a shot, though it puts us (in theory) in a weaker spot. But heck, we play just as well on the road.
Eike Mlko
Up to 20 without taking the field
CapCityAg89
AG
24601 said:

Walt Luddiger said:

does "national seed" still mean top 8, or top 16 now; cause i feel like theres quite a bit of miscommunication here.

I think anyone that has followed baseball for years still uses it as top 8. Easier than saying super regional host or whatever you might use to make the distinction.

This. National Seed = top 8. Yes. 16 teams are seedED but the top 8 are the seeds that matter because they host.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

After winning the series vs South Carolina, we fell from 12th to 24th.

Our remaining games are against 102 Mississippi St, 194 Incarnate Word, & @ 56 Ole Miss.

According to the RPI Needs Report, we can no longer finish in the top 8. We need 6 more wins just to finish in the top 16.

I hate to say it, but we can probably kiss any kind of national seed goodbye short of a crazy run in Hoover. Hoover may be our saving grace by getting to face some more high RPI teams to bring us back up.

The rest of the resume looks strong. We have plenty of Q1 wins, are in a good spot in the SEC standings, and have been playing well lately.
Update:

3-0 vs MSU
Canceled IW
And we we get a rising OM team with RPI of 38 now.

Latest RPI Needs Report:

Quote:

Texas A&M

Remaining: 0 home, 3 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 18
ROWP: 0.597

Top 45:

No more wins needed.

Top 32:

No more wins needed.

Top 16:

0 home wins, 2 road wins

Top 8:

No way to reach the threshold.

2 wins plus likely high RPI matchups in Hoover mean the top 16 is within reach.

Naked Hiker
AG
Does hoover count towards rpi?
Divining Rod
i think ^ is ridiculous. we sweep Ole Miss and top 8 is very much in reach. even a series win gets us in the game.

(^ meant for post two above)
Farmer1906
AG
Yes, all games do.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Naked Hiker said:

Does hoover count towards rpi?
Of course
Sq 17
Divining Rod said:

i think ^ is ridiculous. we sweep Ole Miss and top 8 is very much in reach. even a series win gets us in the game.

(^ meant for post two above)

Sweep ole miss and definitely ranked in the top 8 likely a national seed but RPI is still likely around 12
dabo man
AG
Current RPI is #19, but the committee will factor into it that we are being hampered by bad early season losses. and that we are currently a better team than the RPI (basically the "sum of our season") would indicate. If the season were to end today, I'm certain we would be a host and a top #16 (but not top #8) seed.

I think taking two this weekend would leave us in a great position going into the conference tournament.

When I say "great position," I mean to host. I think it will take a lot of things falling into place in Hoover to have any shot at becoming a top #8 seed.
CapCityAg89
AG
dabo man said:

Current RPI is #19, but the committee will factor into it that we are being hampered by bad early season losses. and that we are currently a better team than the RPI (basically the "sum of our season") would indicate. If the season were to end today, I'm certain we would be a host and a top #16 (but not top #8) seed.

I think taking two this weekend would leave us in a great position going into the conference tournament.

When I say "great position," I mean to host. I think it will take a lot of things falling into place in Hoover to have any shot at becoming a top #8 seed.

2-1 in Oxford and 2 seed in Hoover with a win there and I think we're top 12 RPI. That's plenty for that National seed.
threeanout
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

dabo man said:

2-1 in Oxford and 2 seed in Hoover with a win there and I think we're top 12 RPI. That's plenty for that National seed.

I agree with you. I think the SEC and the ACC get three teams each. The Beavers are in. I think some Big 12 team, DBU and maybe Stanford get the final spot. If we go 2-1 this weekend and win a game in Hoover we are one of those SEC teams.

I do think we need to be in the top 12 in RPI to be a top eight seed, but a lot of things can and will happen this week to push teams in front of us down. Georgia Southern playing three with UTA at home will penalize them no matter what the outcome as well as the horns playing Kansas. USC taking one from Stanford will get the Cardinal's RPI smoked.
94chem
Santa Clara has fallen on hard times, getting swept in 3 close games on the road against Gonzaga, consecutive conference sweeps, and an overall record of 24-25. Interestingly, they have a road series scheduled at TCU this weekend. If that actually gets played, it could have some interesting implications.
TXAggie2011
AG
I posted this a week ago or so...our national seed target based on over a decade of precedent would be to get the RPI to #11 or higher and win the SEC West.

A high win total with the RPI or some sort of championship would be tough sledding.

Quote:

I went back to 2010, and only five teams have been a national seed without a top 8 RPI nor a regular season conference championship.

Three of them had an RPI of 9. Georgia in 2018, who was tied for 2nd overall in the SEC. LSU in 2014, and they won the SEC tournament. Oregon in 2013, who was 2nd overall in the PAC-12.

In 2014, TCU was #11. They won the Big 12 tournament.

In 2012, South Carolina was #11 and won the SEC East.

In that same time span, there have been 4 20 win SEC teams that didn't get a national seed, yet alone those with 19 or 18 wins.

I'd love to have more confidence in that prediction but that's going to require some pretty significant luck.
OKCAGS
D1 baseball is usually spot on in their predictions . RPI is not the metric it once was . Too many teams have figured out how to take advantage of it - Tech , DBU . If we win the series at Ole Miss and just one game in Hoover , we will be a National Seed .
HJack20
AG
Why's everyone calling the top 8 "national seeds" when they rank 16?….
Buck Turgidson
HJack20 said:

Why's everyone calling the top 8 "national seeds" when they rank 16?….
Because those 8 host super regionals if they win their respective regions.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
It's a holdover from the old terminology, in the past only the top 8 were seeded. Top 8 is still very important though, the top 8 host Super Regionals if they make it through.
HoustonAg2106
AG
OKCAGS said:

D1 baseball is usually spot on in their predictions . RPI is not the metric it once was . Too many teams have figured out how to take advantage of it - Tech , DBU . If we win the series at Ole Miss and just one game in Hoover , we will be a National Seed .
Actually the committee follows the RPI with their selections pretty closely. It's not exactly the same, but it's usually pretty close. Last year 6 top 8 were in the top 8 in the RPI ( the other two were 9 and 10) and 14 of the 16 were hosts (the other two were 17 and 19)
12th Man Stan Account
AG
Detective Jake Peralta said:

It's a holdover from the old terminology, in the past only the top 8 were seeded. Top 8 is still very important though, the top 8 host Super Regionals if they make it through.
This is correct. It seems that posters are usually referring to the Top 8 when they use the term "National Seed."

But officially (according to the NCAA), the Top 16 teams are referred to as "National Seeds."

Occasionally confusing, but you can usually tell what posters mean by the context.
AgEng06
AG
When you see it here, "hosting" mean top-16, "national seed" means top-8.
HJack20
AG
Thanks for clarifying the National Seed thing. "New Army" fans like me don't know of the Top-8 only ranked days lol
RED AG 98
AG
the change is like ~4 years old so it's gonna take awhile for it to be any different too
Eike Mlko
We are in a virtual tie now with the sips

RED AG 98
AG
They should cancel their midweek game against RPI killer #158 -- oh wait never mind it's a full on 3 game series at home vs KU. No doubt we will pass them up this weekend almost regardless of the outcome of our 6 games.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.