CSHS Baseball Making the Rounds on Twitter

20,549 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sq 17
cevans_40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TarponChaser said:

No mowing, no fertilizing, no watering, only need to paint the lines every couple years, no wages to groundskeepers. What am I missing?

The initial cost is much more and the lifespan of turf is about 10 years vs 20-30 for natural grass. Just for reference it costs right at 1 million to redo a turf football field. Baseball fields are about 1.5. That's over 100,000 per year. Olsen field maybe spends that much per year but no HS is the country is spending over 30k.
96ags
AG
cevans_40 said:

96ags said:

The turf vs grass conversation comes down to the financing methods employed by school districts.

A school can issue a bond for a big outlay of cash easier than they can/will free up annual M&O money.

Therefore, $1,000,000 tag on to a bond issuance every 10 years is much easier to come up with than $100,000/yr. for maintenance.

Like it or not, turf is the way forward for any public financed entity.

So they are only doing the football field evey 10 years?
Depends.

But the dollar figure is irrelevant. Lump sums are easier to come by for schools. I'm not saying it is right, it's just the way it is.
cevans_40
AG
96ags said:

cevans_40 said:

96ags said:

The turf vs grass conversation comes down to the financing methods employed by school districts.

A school can issue a bond for a big outlay of cash easier than they can/will free up annual M&O money.

Therefore, $1,000,000 tag on to a bond issuance every 10 years is much easier to come up with than $100,000/yr. for maintenance.

Like it or not, turf is the way forward for any public financed entity.

So they are only doing the football field evey 10 years?
Depends.

But the dollar figure is irrelevant. Lump sums are easier to come by for schools. I'm not saying it is right, it's just the way it is.
Then they should lump sum the cost of inputs (mowers, fertilizer, seed, paint, etc.) on the front end
TarponChaser
cevans_40 said:

TarponChaser said:

No mowing, no fertilizing, no watering, only need to paint the lines every couple years, no wages to groundskeepers. What am I missing?

The initial cost is much more and the lifespan of turf is about 10 years vs 20-30 for natural grass. Just for reference it costs right at 1 million to redo a turf football field. Baseball fields are about 1.5. That's over 100,000 per year. Olsen field maybe spends that much per year but no HS is the country is spending over 30k.

Maybe so. I've just been told from numerous sources that the financials are better on turf and I assumed (wrongfully it appears) that it had to do with maintenance and not the method of securing the funds.

But, like I said, I know for 100% fact that all the coaches in Humble ISD wanted turf to cut down on days lost due to weather. Plus, they can rent the fields out for tournaments on weekends for extra revenue.
cevans_40
AG
TarponChaser said:

cevans_40 said:

TarponChaser said:

Maybe so. I've just been told from numerous sources that the financials are better on turf and I assumed (wrongfully it appears) that it had to do with maintenance and not the method of securing the funds.

But, like I said, I know for 100% fact that all the coaches in Humble ISD wanted turf to cut down on days lost due to weather. Plus, they can rent the fields out for tournaments on weekends for extra revenue.
It is 100% easier and weather days are also a consideration however a properly constructed field with the right drainage and infield mix will drain really quick. I think I was in the gym 2 days this season due to rain. I spent more time in there due to cold that rain. Football fields I understand a little more because practice will absolutely destroy a natural grass field. Baseball/softball should be on a natural surface.
TAMU1990
AG
Brenham Ag 15 said:

CS stadium isn't big enough to host us.
If CSHS removed those awful bucket seats they would gain a lot of seating.
Sq 17
What was tonight's final score ?
Leander - Ag
AG
10-1 cubs
HometownAg22
AG
CSHS wins game 2. 6-2 final. Game 3 at Mumford
Sq 17
Thanks for the update and
Mumford makes less sense than playing the home game at Navasota
HometownAg22
AG
Mumford has a nice turf field with tons of seats and covered seating like a minor league ballpark. CSHS has played lots of playoff games there in the past. And it's a "neutral" sight for game 3
94chem
Texags Meltdown said:

Sports are emotional and they should be. Nothing wrong with any of that.

Whenever I invent a new molecule, I woof at everyone who didn't. I'm proud of it. I get emotional.
Sq 17
Glad to know it is truly superior facility just seems like an odd choice
HometownAg22
AG
I've always thought it weird how nice it was lol. But it's definitely better than majority of high school parks
Sq 17
After reviewing the Google map
Mumford is not where I thought it was

I thought it was near Hearne going towards Cameron
HometownAg22
AG
Just out side of Bryan really. Ain't but 20 minutes from the high schools in town.
trouble
AG
That's Gause
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
trouble said:

That's Gause

A zebra almost killed me in Gause one time. Tried kicking me in the face and missed by about 6 inches
trouble
AG
It ain't safe out there
TAMU1990
AG
Brenham won 5-1
rossuvet12
AG
Great series (hopefully without another Twitter video).

Lots of talent on the college station side. I haven't seen a ball hit as far as #22 hit his at fireman's park in a long time.

Keep rolling Cubs!
Angry Beaver
AG
This thread has been a rollercoaster
Sq 17
Angry Beaver said:

This thread has been a rollercoaster
And a derail / redirecting wandering discussion over a wide variety of subjects

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.