CSHS Baseball Making the Rounds on Twitter

20,543 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sq 17
CampingAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Of course there's the Jeff Frye crowd all the way over on one side, and the "Let players do/say whatever they want" crowd all the way on the other side, when the correct way to act is somewhere in the middle with lines blurred more and more every day.

As a coach I can attest to the fact that things have gotten pretty out of hand regarding respect for the opponent. So many kids have a complete inability to channel their competitiveness the proper way. It's turned into "how can I make the opponent look bad?"
powerbelly
AG
There was too much trying to show up the opponent in that clip for my taste. I don't mind kids getting excited and occasionally that will cross a line, but the coach should be working to channel that energy.
SchizoAg
AG
Look at their role models in mainstream culture. What do you expect?
CampingAg
AG
I blame Tik tok and select baseball. Look at me culture.
Aggie
AG
Apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.
Anyone familiar with CSHS athletic parents know why those kids act like that.

I don't 100% blame coaches because honestly they are handcuffed. They go against that and they are against parents and players.. they have to choose their battles.

There is a reason there is an umpire , coach(good coaches) and coming soon teacher (good teachers) shortage at the HS ranks

Plus we live in a society that promotes that type of behavior.
Why Twitter and social media is the downfall of the human race
BCSWguru
Kids do dumb stuff. Been that way forever. Can't imagine what it's like getting the urge to bag on 17 year olds on the internet.
CampingAg
AG
LSCSN said:

Kids do dumb stuff. Been that way forever. Can't imagine what it's like getting the urge to bag on 17 year olds on the internet.

That's all we're saying.
Aggie
AG
LSCSN said:

Yeah.. Heaven forbid someone set them straight or they read something and makes them realize they should act better

Just keep allowing it… great advice
Sandman98
AG
LSCSN said:

This is a common take in this debate. The entire reason the on field culture has devolved is because they WANT to be seen on the Internet. If you think kids have always been this way, you aren't watching many youth and high school sporting events.
cajunaggie08
AG
the worst part of that video was the horrible music and tiktok style robot voice caption
Clown_World
Aggie said:

I don't 100% blame coaches because honestly they are handcuffed. They go against that and they are against parents and players.. they have to choose their battles.

There is a reason there is an umpire , coach(good coaches) and coming soon teacher (good teachers) shortage at the HS ranks

The correct response to the parents in that situation(bench a kid for acting like a clown) is to say: "If you don't like it go play somewhere else. I'll sign the PAPF".

aggiebrad94
AG
We never taunted our opponents or acted like that on the field. That was beyond unacceptable.

A&M Consol '90
wareagle044
Seems like a one-sided video. What prompted all that?
Bunk Moreland
lot of dbags in that video.
Texags Meltdown
AG
Sports are emotional and they should be. Nothing wrong with any of that.
CampingAg
AG
One problem with baseball is there's no punitive action before an ejection. In basketball there are technical fouls, in football there are personal fouls, both of which hurt you on the scoreboard. Warnings in baseball don't do that. There's not a lot to diffuse situations until it gets to the point of an ejection. Pretty safe to say some stuff in this video would've warranted a tech or personal foul if it were a different sport.
Bunk Moreland
CampingAg said:

One problem with baseball is there's no punitive action before an ejection. In basketball there are technical fouls, in football there are personal fouls, both of which hurt you on the scoreboard. Warnings in baseball don't do that. There's not a lot to diffuse situations until it gets to the point of an ejection. Pretty safe to say some stuff in this video would've warranted a tech or personal foul if it were a different sport.

One of the things I like about baseball is the 'police your own' culture that used to persist. While everyone thought we were moving into 'let them have fun' we actually ran right through that and more into 'show them up for the gram'
Buford T. Justice
AG
The easiest way to put an end to that stuff is simply to beat them on the scoreboard.
mwm
"Anyone familiar with CSHS athletic parents know why those kids act like that."

That's a rather broad stroke you paint with, isn't it? And I don't suspect parents on the other side celebrated anything, right?

If you want your player to respect their opponent (whether baseball or in a work environment), teach them the right way and hold them accountable to the standard you set.

Edit to add: or, maybe that's the problem.
HoustonAg2106
AG
I was waiting for the batter to hit a home run and the pitcher to tackle him as he rounds third base
LB12Diamond
AG
Last years CS was in a 7v7 tournament my sons team was in. Definitely the worst parent I had seen in a long time. He actually was flagged by the refs.
ptothemo
AG
They are all trying so freaking hard. I assume that this was some rivalry game, a game that had a lot riding on it, or there is some backstory here. But they all just look like d-bags.

I have no issue at all with showing some emotion. I have no issue at all with a pitcher being fired up after an inning ending strikeout. I love it when I see our pitchers do that, but it should be directed at our dugout. A pitcher on the mound waving to a baserunner that was just picked off? Absolutely freaking not. Throw the ball around the horn, and act like you've been there before.
Brenham Ag 15
AG
I'm an assistant baseball coach at Brenham and this was the biggest game of the season for both teams. Both teams were tied for second in district going into Friday and a loss would drop the losing team to tied for 4th. That's why the game was so emotional. Brenham won 10-4 in 12 innings.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Brenham Ag 15 said:

I'm an assistant baseball coach at Brenham and this was the biggest game of the season for both teams. Both teams were tied for second in district going into Friday and a loss would drop the losing team to tied for 4th. That's why the game was so emotional. Brenham won 10-4 in 12 innings.
None of that excuses any of the conduct in the video. That was not emotion in the video, that was players taunting each other and acting like D-bags. You can have tons of emotion and not taunt the other team or act like a d-bag.
LukeDuke
AG
CampingAg said:

You're blaming select baseball?

That's a bit of a reach don't you think?
CampingAg
AG
LukeDuke said:

CampingAg said:

You're blaming select baseball?

That's a bit of a reach don't you think?

The culture that emanates from the majority of select baseball organizations, yes I am.
Ag-Yoakum95
AG
Texags Meltdown said:

Sports are emotional and they should be. Nothing wrong with any of that.
Sports are absolutely emotional, but that behavior was beyond ridiculous.
Sterling82
I'm not too disturbed by it. In around 1973-74 I was at a HS basketball game where taunting turned into a bench clearing and most of the stands clearing brawl. It's not all new.
12thMan9
AG
That's on the umpires. You want to get their attention? Give 1 warning to both sides. If it happens again, they're gone.

And, under current UIL rules, they're gone next game too. I'm sure the coaches know that as well.
Ronnie '88
duddleysdraw88
AG
I blame it on the affliction shirt & flat bill hat wearing, 3-6" lift kit with mud tires truck driving, white sunglass wearing, 5' nothing dads and coaches that are trying to live vicariously through the kids!

Respect is received when respect is given!

carl spacklers hat
SchizoAg said:

Look at their parents in the stands. What do you expect?
FIFY
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Cen-Tex
AG
This behavior is unacceptable, no matter what level of baseball. Coach should grow up & grow a set. That's part of developing these players.
swimmerbabe11
The only thing that was super egregious was when it looked like they were about to start a brawl.

the pitcher waving by after the throw out at first is kind of a tool move, but still. meh.

the most offensive thing was definitely the music over it. what vibe were they going for? that's usually used for stories about cancer and stuff.
mwm
I recall one varsity game between AMC & BHS on the BHS campus. It was, maybe, 2005 or 2006 when I personally witnessed AMC players doing a whole lot worse than is shown in the video clip. Many of the parents in the stands that night were embarrassed & repulsed by the vulgar actions of 3-4 AMC players but, evidently, the coach didn't care. No discipline was imposed.

I happen to know, for a fact, that good college coaches watch the game for more than who can throw, catch & hit. They've got an eye on the player and how they act on the field to their teammates and opposing players. If there were college coaches there to observe the game in the video, very good players may have "struck out" in the recruitment game.
AgsWin2011
AG
Aggie said:

Bingo!

Lots of self-entitlement in this video. Par for the course in CS.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.