I felt pretty good after last weekend…

7,791 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 75AG
brunsie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This has been a fun season! They have showed tremendous heart and character this 2nd half of the season!
I am excited how the team has rallied this season.

BTHO south carolina!! Gig' Em Ags!
Get in the box coach!!
75AG
AG
Thanks for the bump to show everyone just how stupid I can be.
trouble
AG
It's still been ups and downs, friend. Luckily, there's been more ups than expected.
carl spacklers hat
It has been a pleasant surprise to everyone! Enjoy the ride!
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
85AustinAg
AG
A .500 SEC team is what I expected and to squeak into Regionals. Schloss is a helluva coach and his assistants are outstanding as well. This is a TEAM. A few parts are good to very good but for the most part they figure out ways to win. I put a lot of success on their mental training that Schloss has them do and the team culture. So many new guys early on resulted in the struggles. Took awhile to figure it out but we're on the right path.

Jim Schlossnagle a master at improving team's mental toughness
AgE2theBONE
AG

Based on where I expected this season to go, based on so many factors--last year, injuries, new regime--I'd just decided that if got near .500 in SEC play, I'd consider that over-achieving.

Now I'm feeling excited because I really think we can make some noise in the post-season, and as a result I am really, really impressed with Schloss and the staff, and the heart/determination of the team.

This team still has some challenges to deal with and there are going to be times when those cost us some games, but holy hell... Prior to the start of conference play, did anybody think we'd be where we are right now?

Gig 'Em
ColoradoMooseHerd
No expectations this year, just enjoying Aggie Baseball
Sea Pony 07
AG
At the beginning of the year I just hoped for a winning record and that we would scrape by getting into Hoover. No matter how the season ends, I'm super proud of and happy for boys on the field.
CrawlingNo5
AG
twk said:

This is the result you get when you are asking guys to do things that they aren't ready to do. About the only 2 guys on the pitching staff who are in their appropriate slots and performing at high levels are Dallas as the Saturday starter and Palish as first guy out of the pen. Dettmer probably ought to have been a Sunday starter this year, but he's being asked to be a Friday night guy. Prager should probably have been a Tuesday starter or weekend bullpen guy this year. Cortez should not be in the situation where we are asking him to be our closer. So, basically, 2 guys (a true Friday ace and a shut down closer) would dramatically change the shape of this staff, but we don't have those guys because the talent pipeline was running dry. It will take a year or two to fill it. That's why we made a change.

Has/is dettmer punching over his weight?

Who else is doing that?
AggieBand2004
AG
We've got some fair weather fans, and boy, are they dumb
dcaggie04
AG
Since this thread was started, we've gone 19-7.
Leander - Ag
94chem
ColoradoMooseHerd said:

No expectations this year, just enjoying Aggie Baseball

It's happened fast, but the 2 things I recall about those TCU teams were deep bullpens that threw strikes, and multiple dudes in the lineup with gap power. State has hit 30 more HR's than us this season, but our offense works counts, wears out bullpens, hits with 2 strikes, and drives the ball to all fields.

I saw two things this weekend that best illustrate what Schlossnagle is doing. First, in game 2, the go ahead run was driven in from first base on a grounder to short. This lineup has had so few guys who could drive a ball like that. It usually took 3 hits to score a run. Now the hits don't die on the OF grass. They get to the corner or to the gaps. The other thing was Will Johnston. I've been so used to A&M coaches shrinking the pen as the season wore on. Even the great '93 team basically had 2 relievers. But now, we actually see more arms able to perform. Not to mention that Cortez has a filthy changeup too...
AgE2theBONE
AG
94chem said:

Even the great '93 team basically had 2 relievers. But now, we actually see more arms able to perform. Not to mention that Cortez has a filthy changeup too...

Chris Clemons and Brian Parker?

Just checking my memory, as that was 30 years ago.

Hell of a fun season.

1-2-3 of Granger, Trey Moore and Wunsch.
ColoradoMooseHerd
For the post season, 1993 also had John Codrington (Tuesday Starter) and Spencer McIntyre (Left-Handed) as solid options in the pen to go along with a few others.
75AG
AG
AggieBand2004 said:

We've got some fair weather fans, and boy, are they dumb

Man I must be! But so glad I am!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.